Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Chu Liuxiang

Happy thanksgiving everyone. Many many many thanks foxs

Default Book 1 Chapter 14 - Part 2

Xiaohu, thanks for the correction … that was what happened when I was in a hurry … Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome. Paona, hope your thanksgiving was happy. If you don’t mind me asking, where is your actual location?

He knew that before Chu Liuxiang could see his entire moves, he would not make any move. By saying that, he was trying to restrain Chu Liuxiang from making his move. As long as Chu Liuxiang did not make any move, Bai Yumo would be able to unleash his styles to the fullest. Besides, his adaptable bowl still had one killer move that so far he had never used before; he wanted to force Chu Liuxiang into a critical spot, and then he would execute this one move, so that Chu Liuxiang would die under his claw.

Chu Liuxiang also knew it clearly, but he obviously wanted to provoke him; laughing coldly, he said, “You have already exhausted your limited abilities early on; I don’t believe you still have any wonder moves.” While speaking, he retreated to a dead corner of the room.

He was indeed too bold; unexpectedly he did not hesitate to stake his own life in a gamble just to see if the opponent really had changes in his style.

The stake was really too high; even Central Plains’ One Red Dot could not believe that there was someone in the world who considered taking such risk as simply a game. He was not sure if that kind of person could be considered stupid, or very smart?

Although fishing could be considered a smart game, but if one was using his own body as a bait, it would almost be like the fish was actually fishing for him.

Chu Liuxiang waited for Bai Yumo to strike with the bowl, while Bai Yumo was also waiting for Chu Liuxiang to strike the bowl. By the time Chu Liuxiang cornered himself into a dead spot, Bai Yumo suddenly laughed evilly and said, “Laofu’s killer move, after you’ve seen it, you won’t live.”

In the blink of an eye, he launched seven moves. Chu Liuxiang dodged all seven one by one. He saw the adaptable bowl suddenly struck straight toward his face.

Chu Liuxiang suddenly shrunk his body and retreated one chi; he calculated accurately that based on its position, this adaptable bowl would not be able to reach him. Laughing heartily, he said, “If you don’t …”

His words had just left his mouth, there was a swishing noise, the black and shiny ghost claw suddenly separated itself from the body of the claw, and shot straight to grab his chest.

Unexpectedly, there was a spring mechanism inside the pole of the ‘soul capturing adaptable bowl’. Bai Yumo only needed to shake his hand and press lightly, the ghost claw would immediately shoot out.

The ghost claw had a four-chi chain on it, so the three-chi and six-cun long adaptable bowl suddenly became seven­-chi six-cun. Originally it could not reach Chu Liuxiang’s position, but now it was more than enough to reach him.

This moment Chu Liuxiang was unable to retreat anymore. He knew that as soon as the ghost claw scratched his skin, he could forget about staying alive.

With Yitian Hong’s martial art skill, plus he was watching on the side, naturally he was able to see a lot more clearly than the people involved in the fight. As soon as he saw Bai Yumo executed this move, he could not refrain from sighing.

At his current position, Chu Liuxiang really could not back off anymore, he could not evade anymore.

If the claw was not poisonous, perhaps Chu Liuxiang could still use the ‘differentiating light, capturing shadow’ technique to snatch the ghost claw away. But since the ghost claw was extremely poisonous, he could not even touch it.

Very soon the man who fished would be buried inside the fish’s stomach.

Naturally Chu Liuxiang could not help but was shocked; however, although he was shocked, he was not thrown into disorder. In this instant where life and death was separated only by a strand of hair, he came up with a spur-of-the-moment ruse.

They saw his shoulder moved, an object suddenly appeared in his hand, the ghost claw already clutched his chest, but he had the object stuffed inside the ghost claw.

There was a clacking noise, the ghost claw closed down and was retracted, but there was something inside the claw, which Bai Yumo was unable to fling off. Unexpectedly, it was a scroll of painting.

It should be noted that Chu Liuxiang’s technique was truly too amazing, it was matchless under the heavens. If he wanted to take something from someone else’s bosom, it would be as easy as a hand’s turn, much less taking something from his own bosom.

Therefore, he was able, in that instant where a thousand catties hang by a thread, to take the picture scroll out, and stuffed it inside the ghost claw, utilizing the claw’s own momentum. If it were someone else, perhaps as soon as the picture scroll was out of his bosom, his chest would already have a big hole in it.

Although this painting was important, during the critical moment threatening his life, no matter how precious or important an object was, everything could be discarded.

Bai Yumo had never imagined Chu Liuxiang would have this kind of move. As soon as his strike failed, his countenance changed, immediately he withdrew seven chi back, afraid that Chu Liuxiang would counterattack.

Who would have thought that Chu Liuxiang did not even move? He just smiled and said, “Although you wanted my life, I don’t want yours. Now that your ability has already been demonstrated, you’d better return that thing inside the claw to me, and quickly go!”

Although Bai Yumo did not know what the object inside his claw was, but anything hidden inside the Bandit Chief Chu Liuxiang’s bosom could not possibly be any ordinary thing.

As soon as Chu Liuxiang said that, his heart became even more suspicious; laughing coldly, he said, “You really want me to return this roll of paper to you?”

Chu Liuxiang laughed and said, “The ghost claw wanted to catch a soul, but it only grabbed a roll of rotten paper; unconsciously you must be losing face?”

Bai Yumo laughed aloud and said, “Since it is just rotten paper, why do you want me to return it to you?”

Although inevitably Chu Liuxiang grew a bit anxious in his heart and mused inwardly, “This guy [orig. si, male servant, derogatory] is indeed a wily old fox,” but his mouth spoke indifferently, “If you want to, there is no harm in my giving it to you to wipe your tears, or to wipe your runny nose with.”

Bai Yumo laughed grimly and said, “At this moment, I am afraid the one shedding tears will be you!”

Unexpectedly he retreated a few steps back, took the scroll of painting, and opened it to take a look. However, after only one glance, suddenly his face revealed a strange expression, and then he burst out laughing loudly.

Noticing his strange laughter, Chu Liuxiang could not help asking, “What are you laughing at?”

Bai Yumo laughed and said, “Why are you hiding Ren Ci’s wife’s portrait in your pocket? Looking at your young age, could it be that you harbor unrequited longing toward Ren Laotouzi’s [old man] wife?”

As Bai Yumo spoke those words, Chu Liuxiang was really surprised, but he was delighted as well. He had worn out iron shoes trying to find the answer, unexpectedly it came to him without he had to spend any effort.

Pleasantly surprised, he could not help blurting, “Turns out Qiu Lingsu married the former Beggar Clan’s Bangzhu; indeed it was a respectable status, illustrious reputation. It is so much more excelled compared to Ximen Qian and the others.”

Looking at Chu Liuxiang’s expression, Bai Yumo was extremely baffled. “Qiu Lingsu …? Who is Qiu Lingsu?” he asked.

Surprised, Chu Liuxiang asked, “Didn’t you just say that she was Ren Ci’s, Ren Lao Bangzhu’s wife?”

Laughing coldly, Bai Yumo said, “Ren Ci’s wife is surnamed Ye; her name is Ye Shuzhen …”

Chu Liuxiang cried out involuntarily, “So the woman on the painting …”

Bai Yumo said, “The woman on the painting is Ye Shuzhen. You hide her portrait in your pocket, are you telling me you don’t know her name?”

Chu Liuxiang suddenly understood, “No wonder nobody in Jianghu knows Qiu Lingsu’s whereabouts; turns out she changed her name, and married Beggar Clan’s Bangzhu … ay! This yaonu [lit. female demon; could simply mean ‘beautiful woman’] had bad reputation in the past, if she was going to marry a prominent figure in Wulin, naturally she had to alter her surname and change her given name. I ought to have thought about this fact early on.”

Bai Yumo spoke sternly, “I don’t care if you curse that Ren Laotouzi, you scold him as a turtle [fig. cuckold]; but his wife is a dignified, virtuous woman, who is always magnanimous and amiable to everybody. Even I, Bai Yumo, admire her a little. If you insult her, tens of thousands Beggar Clan’s disciples, from top to bottom, might not spare you.”

Chu Liuxiang knew that after she was married, Qiu Lingsu must have washed her heart and renewed her face [idiom: to turn over a new leaf], and made a fresh start. Usually he would admire this kind of people the most, naturally he was unwilling to reveal the evil conduct of her former days. Rolling his eyes, he asked, “I wonder where would this Madame Ren be at this moment?”

Bai Yumo laughed coldly and said, “Looking at your lecherous appearance, you are not a good man; could it be that you have the intention of hitting on someone else’s widow? But she is very chaste; you, this toad, can forget about eating the swan’s meat.”

Chu Liuxiang rolled his eyes again, and spoke slowly, “Ren Ci expelled you from the Beggar Clan, he hunted you until you fled to the east and hid in the west, in ten tears you did not have one day that you passed in peace, could it be that you don’t hate him?”

Bai Yumo hatefully said, “He is already dead, even if I hate him, what can I do?”

Chu Liuxiang said, “Although he is dead, his wife is not dead yet!”

Bai Yumo glowered at him viciously, and then using his hand he quickly pulled the beard under his chin until nearly not a single strand of hair remained. His fierce and malicious eyes gradually revealed a smiling expression as he spoke slowly, “Although your words are repulsive, you have touched my spleen and stomach [i.e. one’s taste].”

Chu Liuxiang smiled and said, “To certain kind of man, I speak certain kind of words. I know this logic very well.”

Bai Yumo laughed aloud and said, “No wonder people say that Chu Liuxiang is the world’s most loveable villains. Even I … this moment I am starting to like you.”

Chu Liuxiang quickly asked, “In that case, where is his wife now?”

“Too bad I really don’t know,” Bai Yumo replied.”

Chu Liuxiang stared blankly for a moment. And then he cupped his fist and said, “Goodbye.” He raised his cupped fist again, turned around, and left.

Bai Yumo called out, “Although I don’t know, there’s someone who does.”

Chu Liuxiang immediately halted his steps; he turned around and asked, “Who?”

“Can’t you think of it?” Bai Yumo asked.

Chu Liuxiang sighed and said, “At first Nangong Ling might be willing to tell me, but now, not necessarily.”

Bai Yumo smirked and said, “Others have a pearl, you come with empty hands, naturally he can’t possibly give it to you. But if you use jadeite, which is more valuable than pearl, for an exchange, could it be that he still refuse to give it to you?”

Chu Liuxiang thought for a moment, “What is my jadeite?” he asked.

Bai Yumo spoke word-by-word, “That kid in black’s background.”

Chu Liuxiang followed Bai Yumo, Yitian Hong followed Chu Liuxiang; they flew away just like the people’s roof were the road through Yangguan [fig. wide open road].

By this time the night was so deep that everywhere they looked, there was no light in sight.

While flying, Bai Yumo spoke in heavy voice, “Chu Liuxiang, listen to me: it was you who wanted to come with me; I did not take you at all.”

Chu Liuxiang smiled and replied, “This logic, naturally I understand.”

“It’s good that you know that,” Bai Yumo said.

Chu Liuxiang said, “Yitian Hong, listen to me: it was you who wanted to come with me; I did not take you at all.”

There was no response from behind.

Chu Liuxiang turned his head to look; Yitian Hong has disappeared without a trace since who knows when. Chu Liuxiang could not help stroking his nose; he muttered to himself with a wry smile, “When you don’t want him to come, he came. When you don’t want him to leave, he left. Whoever wants to make friends with him will seriously have big headache.”

He heard Bai Yumo said, “The house with light ahead is precisely the Incense Hall, an important place of the Beggar Clan. I am going now, you must not follow me. If by any chance you find your way there, you must not mind my business.”

Chu Liuxiang smiled and said, “I practically did not see you at all, wherever you are going, I have no idea.”

“Very good,” Bai Yumo said.

Stooping down, he leaped to the ground. Immediately a voice came from the darkness, “Go up to heaven or go down to Hades.”

Bai Yumo responded, “Beggars are not going to go.”

And then there was a whisper, “Where is that kid?”

“In the hall.”

Bangzhu finally get hold of him?”

“Looks like he came on his own, and ostentatiously sat down. For some reason, Bangzhu suddenly seems to be a lot more courteous toward him.”

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Yes, you.
    Jotaro

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    Xiaohu, thanks for the correction … that was what happened when I was in a hurry … Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome. Paona, hope your thanksgiving was happy. If you don’t mind me asking, where is your actual location?
    Thank you very much foxs, I was just in NYC and had a great thanksgiving with my aunts and uncles on my dad's side

Default Book 1 Chapter 15 - Part 1

Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome. Jotaro, Although I am not that needy that I need someone to compliment me, it is nice of you to say so, especially after some nasty things that other people said about me lately. Paona, I’ve never been there, although my wife has. Hope it was really happy.

Chapter 15 – Letter from a Lover

Chu Liuxiang crouched behind the roof ridge of the building across the street. He saw Bai Yumo pushed the door and walked in. The house had lanterns inside, but the windows were closed, so that although he saw shadows going back and forth, he could not see what was going on inside.

All around the house were hidden sentries; although he could not see anybody, occasionally he caught the flickers of their blade, as well as heard faint whispers.

Light as a smoke, Chu Liuxiang unleashed his qinggong and circled around the house toward the rear of the building. Suddenly he let out a light cough. Sure enough, from the darkness someone immediately spoke in low voice, “Go up to heaven or go down to Hades.”

Chu Liuxiang responded, “Beggars are not going to go.”

The man appeared from the shadow. Seeing Chu Liuxiang, he was startled, “Who are you?” he blurted out.

“Asking for rice,” Chu Liuxiang replied. [Translator’s note: a bit of explanation is in order here. The word for ‘beggars’ here is ‘yao fan’ (begging for food or money), which literally means ‘asking for (cooked) rice’. Chu Liuxiang responded by saying ‘asking for (grain) rice’.]

As soon as he spoke those three words, with his right hand he jabbed the man’s acupoint, while with his left hand he caught him and put him gently on the roof. “I am not a human,” he spoke softly, “I am a fox fairy. Do you understand?”

The man’s eyes were full of horror. He wanted to nod, but his head could not move.

Light as a smoke, Chu Liuxiang floated down the eaves, found a window with light coming from inside, and then peeked inside from a crack on the window.

He saw two rows of red sandalwood chairs arranged in the main hall, on each side sat two gray-haired old beggars with a thick stack of pouches on their backs; presumably there were nine pouches in the stack.

These were the Elders and Protector of the Law within the Beggar Clan.

Bai Yumo also crashed onto one of the seats of honor. Above them was the astute, valiant, clear-headed, new Gang Leader of the Beggar Clan, Nangong Ling.

Surprisingly, the youngster in black was also sitting inside, opposite to Nangong Ling.

This many martial art masters were surrounding him, yet he did not show the least bit of fear. His big eyes were staring at Nangong Ling, as if he might stand up and fight any moment.

Nangong Ling spoke heavily, “Sire injured our Gang’s disciples, as well as Zhanglao and Hufa [elder and protector of the law], perhaps it was due to misunderstanding, this officer does not wish to investigate, but just want to ask: why did Sire come here?”

Staring at him, the youngster in black coldly said, “I don’t know how many times you have asked me that question; if I was willing to answer, do you think I’d wait until now?”

Nangong Ling still did not get angry; he said, “What do you want from our Gang? If you are willing to speak out, perhaps this officer could give it to you on behalf of our disciples.”

The youngster in black replied, “I want your head; can you give it to me?”

Finally Nangong Ling spoke sternly, “Sire must not forget, at this very moment, I can take your life at any time, yet I am only asking you a simple question: what’s your purpose of coming here. You are still unwilling to talk, aren’t you being too insensitive?”

The youngster in black laughed coldly and said, “At this moment, I can still sit here, precisely because I am being sensitive. If I tell you my background, your objective is achieved, do you think I can still sit here nicely?”

Listening to this point, Chu Liuxiang could not help laughing inwardly, “This young man seems to be stubborn and arrogant, as if he does not understand anything; who would have thought that he is actually smarter than anybody. This time Nangong Ling has met his match.”

He saw Nangong Ling’s countenance slowly turned green; his anger has flared out. But in the end he struggled hard to suppress it. Revealing a smile, he spoke gently, “If this officer wanted to kill you, why do I need to ask your background? Could it be that you don’t understand this fact?”

“Naturally I understand,” the youngster in black replied, “In fact, I understand it very well. Since you don’t know who I am, you don’t know how many people are coming behind me. Moreover, you don’t know that I know some of your secrets; in your heart you suspect everyone, how could you kill me without any worry?”

Nangong Ling said, “If that’s the case, don’t you think that I won’t let you go even more?”

Raising his voice, the youngster in black said, “You don’t let me go, that’s the best. I can seat here, sleep here, I am afraid you, these poor beggars, won’t be able to afford to keep me here!”

Bai Yumo suddenly laughed evilly and said, “Treated softly, he doesn’t talk, we’d better treat him harshly; will we be afraid he won’t talk?”

The youngster in black replied with cold laugh, “If you dare to stretch your finger to touch me, I am afraid several people will die in front of me. If you don’t believe me, just give it a try!”

Unexpectedly this youngster in black could be soft and could be hard, he could raise hell and could threaten as well, he could put on an air, and could scare people. Listening from the outside, Chu Liuxiang nearly clapped and cheered for him.

Suddenly there was a loud ‘Crash!’, the window opposite Chu Liuxiang was smashed open, followed by someone flew inside like an arrow.

This man’s sword ray was like lightning. To everybody’s surprise, it was the Central Plains’ One Red Dot.

Seeing Yitian Hong suddenly made his appearance, Chu Liuxiang was really pleasantly surprised; laughing inwardly, he mused, “Turns out you still follow me; but this time you came at the right time.”

He saw Yitian Hong flew into the house, tapped the ground with the tip of his toes, and stabbed the four elders of the Beggar Clan plus Bai Yumo seventeen, eighteen times in rapid succession.

Although all these men were first-class Wulin’s martial art masters, but since they were caught off-guard, facing this kind of fast, vicious, and strange sword technique, they could not help being flustered.

Nangong Ling angrily said, “Yitian Hong, I respected you as a famous hero, how dare you being so rude in our Gang’s Fragrance Hall.”

Yitian Hong laughed coldly and said, “I usually don’t recognize my own family, haven’t you heard?”

He rushed toward the youngster in black’s side and spoke heavily, “You haven’t left?”

Who would have thought that the youngster in black simply stared at him and said, “Why should I go with you?”

Yitian Hong was stumped; finally he responded coldly, “You don’t go, I will uncover your background.”

This time the youngster in black was stumped. Finally he said with a cold laugh, “All right, let’s just consider you win. Let’s go!”

However, by this time, an adaptable claw, a judge pen, a green bamboo staff, a pair of iron crutches, and so on, seven or eight kinds of weapon, were already coming to greet their bodies.

In this main hall, not a single one was not a martial art master among martial art masters, each weapon carried profound move and ferocious power, sinister yet experienced. The youngster in black took out a weapon from his bosom, which he shook straight out against the wind. Unexpectedly it was a Burmish saber with white hilt, made of hundred-refined steel. ‘Shua! Shua! Shua!’ he repeatedly hacked several times. The saber technique was bold and vigorous, the blade created fierce wind, the movement was yang in nature, hard and forceful all the way.

These two men, one using saber the other using sword, fought side by side, what could they possibly be afraid of? However, if they wanted to rush out, perhaps it would be more difficult than difficult, as difficult as ascending the heavens.

Yitian Hong stabbed his sword more than a dozen times, and then suddenly called out, “If you don’t make your move, I am going to call your name.”

Naturally others did not know whom he was talking to, while Chu Liuxiang outside the window could not help smiling bitterly and mused, “This kid finally wants to drag me down the water.”

He thought for a moment, and then picked up a dozen or more roof tiles from the roof ridge, opened the window, and threw them in, while shouted loudly, “Watch my Five-Poison copper cymbals.”

Although these more than a dozen pieces of tiles were ordinary roof tiles, thrown from his hands, they became unordinary. Some struck down straight from high up in the air, some whizzed in a spiral, dancing in the air.

The people inside could not immediately see what kind of secret projectiles being thrown at them, but suddenly hearing the two words, ‘Five Poisons’, they withdrew one after another, no one had the time to think about attacking the enemy.

Yitian Hong and the youngster in black seized this opportunity to dash out.

Nangong Ling darted to the window. Staying close to the wall, he looked outside, but it was dark; he could not see clearly who had released the secret projectiles. Picking up a chair, he threw it outside the window, while he followed closely behind, and shouted, “Friend, slow down!”

But how could Chu Liuxiang be willing to slow down? He had long gone without a trace.

Yitian Hong and the youngster in black flew out the window and ran side by side for a while. The two’s qinggong was equally matched. After running far away, the youngster in black suddenly stopped. Glowering, he said, “Who told you to rescue me?”

With his ungrateful-even-to-the-death temper, if it were someone else, after taking the risk to pluck him from danger and then hearing these words, it would be strange indeed if he did not get angry to the death.

But Yitian Hong was not angry at all. Letting out an eerie laughter, he said, “Who rescued you? I don’t give a damn whether you live or die.”

The youngster in black stared at him with his big eyes. Puzzled, he said, “You did not rescue me, then why did you come there?”

Yitian Hong replied, “I broke someone’s thing, I want to take you to compensate for that.”

The youngster in black was stunned; he angrily said, “What kind of fart are you talking about? I don’t understand.”

He heard someone laughed and said, “You don’t understand, but I do.”

This languid laugh, this ghostly shenfa, in all the world, other than our ‘Bandit Chief’ Chu Liuxiang, would there be a second person?

If Chu Liuxiang wanted to fix his attention on someone, nobody in the world would be able to shake him off. When Yitian Hong saw him, he was not surprised the slightest bit. “Here’s your letter, I pay it back to you,” he spoke coldly.

By the time the last word came out of his mouth, he was already far away.

---deleted---- double post
    Last edited by wangxiaohu; 11-27-17 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    especially after some nasty things that other people said about me lately.
    Dont let negative people affect your positive attitude. Whenever I see one, I skip his/her post.

Btw, thanks foxs.

You're positively a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by wangxiaohu View Post
    Dont let negative people affect your positive attitude. Whenever I see one, I skip his/her post.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Default Book 1 Chapter 15 - Part 2

Good idea Xiaohu, good idea … Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome.

The youngster in black followed him with his eyes. Shaking his head, he said, “I wonder if that man is kind of sick?”

Chu Liuxiang sighed and said, “That man’s sickness is that he kind of likes to meddle in other people’s business. He thought he is doing me a favor, but he has actually spoiled my big plan.”

The youngster in black could not help asking, “He spoiled what big plan of yours?”

Chu Liuxiang replied, “I originally wanted to use jadeite in exchange of a pearl, but he spoiled my business deal.”

The youngster in black stared blankly at him, as if his face has suddenly grown a flower. His eyes full of astonishment and curiosity, he said, “I only felt that he is sick; who would have thought that you are actually a lot sicker than him.”

Chu Liuxiang roared in laughter; he said, “This is called ‘fellow sufferers empathize with each other’ [idiom: misery loves company], ‘similar things come together’ [idiom: birds of a feather flock together].”

The youngster in black said, “But I have no sickness whatsoever, apologies for not accompanying you.”

He was about to turn around to leave, Chu Liuxiang suddenly said, “You wanted to ask me something; don’t you want to ask me now?”

These words were like a bowl; all of a sudden it caught the youngster in black’s foot. Immediately he turned around, his face lit up, and he said, “Now you are willing to tell me?”

Without even thinking Chu Liuxiang said, “I saw the flying camel inside your cape, hence I know you must be either the son or nephew of ‘King of the Desert’. I once saw him inside the Pass, hence I knew he already entered the Pass.”

The youngster in black’s eyes lit up, “You’ve see my Diedie?” he asked.

Chu Liuxiang heaved a sigh; he said, “If you are willing to trust me, our difficulties can be resolved.”

The youngster in black looked straight into Chu Liuxiang’s eyes. Under the starry sky, this pair of eyes seemed to be brighter than the stars. The youngster in black suddenly laughed and said, “Very well, I trust you.”

Chu Liuxiang sat down, leaning against the roof ridge. If he could sit, he would never stand. Stretching out his limbs, he laughed and said, “That being the case, I’ll ask you to quickly tell me what exactly was written in that letter.”

“Letter?” the youngster in black said, “Didn’t I give that to you?”

Smiling ruefully, Chu Liuxiang said, “I am decreed by fate not to see the letter, but as long as I can hear it, I will be perfectly contented.”

The youngster in black spoke slowly, “What if I have not seen it?”

Chu Liuxiang tensed up immediately, “If you say you have not seen it, I am afraid I will faint at once,” he said.

“Then faint!” the youngster in black said.

“You really have not seen it?” Chu Liuxiang blurted out.

Unexpectedly the youngster in black chuckled. “I have not seen it,” he replied, “But my Diedie has read it for me.”

Chu Liuxiang heaved a long sigh; he muttered, “To be able to see you chuckle, even if I have to be scared to death it is worth it.”

The youngster in black said, “Listen up, the letter says …”

“Wait!” Chu Liuxiang said, “Wait for me to wash my ears clean first.”

The youngster in black laughed, and then said, “The letter says: ‘Parting for many years, remembering the lord’s elegance, which must have surpassed the past, while Qie [I, your servant (deprecatory self-reference for woman)] is already a lot more wan and sallow, now caught in predicament, wishing the lord remembers old affection, to come and bestow your assistance. If the lord does not come, Qie could only die.’ The signature on the bottom was only one character, ‘Su’.”

After suffering untold hardships, Chu Liuxiang was finally able to listen to, which was tantamount to looking at, the letter. Although he had already guessed the content of the letter, but now he was able to verify it with his own ears, hence he was somewhat more confident.

It was a pity that the letter did not mention what the difficulty was. Chu Liuxiang could not help feeling a bit disappointed. After being lost in thought for a long time, he muttered, “Whatever the case, presumably Qiu Lingsu’s difficulty is related to the Beggar Clan.”

“My father also thought of that point,” the youngster in black interrupted, “Hence the reason I thought my father’s disappearance must be related to the Beggar Clan; otherwise, how could I intentionally want to become a stench in the Beggar Clan’s nostrils?”

Chu Liuxiang thought for a moment. “This letter, when was it received? Who delivered it?” he asked.

The youngster in black proudly laughed and said, “My father roamed the desert as a knight-errant, all year long his whereabouts is uncertain, we completely rely on flying pigeons to exchange information, to get in touch with subordinates in various places. Although he is called the ‘King of the Desert’, his influence reaches far into various provinces inside the Pass. The letter was received a month ago, delivered by carrier pigeon from Lincheng [county, in Xingtai, Hebei] pigeon station.”

“But who delivered this letter to Lincheng pigeon station?” Chu Liuxiang asked, “How did he know the ‘King of the Desert’ has a pigeon station in Lincheng?”

The youngster in black sighed and said, “This question of yours, I am afraid nobody can answer it.”

“Why?” Chu Liuxiang asked.

The youngster in black replied word by word, “Because everybody at the Lincheng pigeon station has died.”

Chu Liuxiang took a long, withdrawn breath. He was silent for half a day. Finally he said, “Your esteemed father went out only for a month, somehow you think he disappeared?”

The youngster in black said, “After entering the Pass, my father sent pigeon letter to stay in contact with me every day, but more than ten days ago the letters suddenly stopped. If not for encountering enormous misfortune, he definitely would not forget to write a letter to me.”

“And so you followed him out?” Chu Liuxiang asked.

The youngster in black replied, “Naturally I immediately traveled at double speed to enter the Pass, while making some inquiries at the pigeon stations along the way, yet there is no news about him, the Senior. Only after finding out that the Lincheng pigeon station personnel suddenly died by violence, I became anxious, hence I looked for the Beggar Clan.”

Chu Liuxiang’s eyes flashed, “What did you find from the Beggar Clan?” he asked.

The youngster in black sighed and said, “I didn’t find anything. Not only the Beggar Clan people completely did not know my Diedie’s whereabouts, practically they do not have any difficulties for the past few years, so they can’t possibly seek help from outsiders.”

He stared at Chu Liuxiang, and then spoke slowly, “But the more so, the more I doubt them. I always feel that under their peace-and-security-with-no-problem-at-hand outside appearance, there must be a hidden secret. My Diedie clearly received their Madam Gang Leader’s letter; he clearly must have had contact with the Beggar Clan, how could they have not the slightest bit of knowledge?”

Chu Liuxiang muttered to himself irresolutely, “Perhaps Mrs. Ren’s difficulty is only her own personal matter; she simply did not wish others in the Beggar Clan to know. She and your Diedie met each other, it was also concealed from the others’ eyes.”

The youngster in black said, “Naturally that is also a possibility. But there are two things that I find strange: first, within the Beggar Clan, unexpectedly nobody knows their own Madam Gang Leader’s whereabouts. Second, you must not forget, their old Gang Leader Ren Ci died within this period of time. Although it is said that he died because of illness, who within the Jianghu saw it with his own eyes?”

Chu Liuxiang suddenly sprang up, and spoke in heavy voice, “From what you have been jabbering about, only this sentence hit the spot right on. But you must not repeat it to anybody else, otherwise there might be instant chaos in Jianghu. This Gang Leader throne of the world’s biggest gang, everybody in the world, whether he is a Beggar Clan disciple or not, would want to sit on it.”

The youngster in black said, “As long as I can find my Diedie, whether Jianghu is in chaos or not, it’s none of my business.”

Chu Liuxiang pondered deeply for half a day, and then he went on, “Since you are this anxious to find your esteemed father’s whereabouts, how could they still not know your background?”

The youngster in black replied coldly, “The reason is very simple … those Beggar Clan disciples whom I have asked would no longer able to divulge any of my secrets.”

Chu Liuxiang sighed; smiling wryly, he said, “This business of killing people seems to come to you quite easily.”

The youngster in black said, “If I don’t kill other people, other people would kill me. Although killing is not a pleasant thing at all, it is always better than being killed.”

Chu Liuxiang said, “How did you know that Nangong Ling wanted to kill you? Why didn’t you ask him directly?”

“I always feel that he is not a good man,” the youngster in black replied.

Chu Liuxiang chuckled and said, “Just based on your feeling? That reason is not enough.”

“In my case, that reason is enough,” the youngster in black replied.

His eyes lit up again; fixing his gaze on Chu Liuxiang, he continued slowly, “Do you think … if you ask him, would he tell you?”

Chu Liuxiang replied, “Do you think … he has any reason not to?”

The youngster in black said, “If he has done some shameful deed, naturally he would not tell you.”

Smiling wryly, Chu Liuxiang said, “In that case, if he is unwilling to tell me, would that be tantamount to proving that he has done some shameful deed? Just think, could there be such a fool in the world?”

The youngster in black thought for a moment. He spoke slowly, “If he told you, would you be willing to tell me?”

“Is there any reason why I would not be willing to tell you?” Chu Liuxiang replied.

The youngster in black laughed again; he said, “Turns out Bandit Chief Chu Liuxiang is not at all as hateful as the legend says.”

His cold and detached face revealed a hint of smile, just like on the frozen glacier, on the frigid earth suddenly blew spring breeze, bringing warmth that arose from the bottom of one’s heart.

Chu Liuxiang sighed and said, “If you are willing to laugh more often, you will find that there are so many people in the world that are not at all as hateful as you think.”

The youngster in black immediately returned to his wooden expression; he spoke coldly, “Whether there are many hateful people in the world or just a few, it has nothing to do with me. I only ask you: you are going to ask Nangong Ling, when are you going to tell me?”

Thanks foxs for the update.

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thks foxs.

Finally caught up! Thanks for all the hard work foxs!! I love this story! Can I request for you focus on this and finish it before you go back to XZL & KZ?

The interactions amongst these three guys are hilarious! I need more! I love this kid! And yes, I think Nangong Ling is not very nice either. I'm warming up to the coldblooded assassin OneDot.

Default Book 1 Chapter 16 - Part 1

Xiaohu, Ysabel, Jaya, DongBin, you are welcome. Sky, I’d love to, but I am afraid I would make a lot of people disappointed. Tell you what, Christmas break is coming, I’ll try to post daily as much as I can.

Chapter 16 – Wonder Monk Wuhua

“Tomorrow morning …” Chu Liuxiang replied, “If I knew where to find you …”

The youngster in black said, “Tomorrow morning, go to Daming Lake to take a stroll. You will see a black horse. You tell the horse three times, ‘Take me to see Hei Zhenzhu [lit. black pearl]’, and then pull its left ear three times; it will take you to find me. Remember: no more, no less, only three times. Not too light, not to hard even more.”

Chu Liuxiang laughed and said, “If I pulled four times? And pulled too hard?”

The youngster in black replied, “Then perhaps it would take you to find a real pearl.”

Suddenly he flashed another smile to Chu Liuxiang, turned around, and flew away like a light smoke.

Looking at his disappearing figure, Chu Liuxiang muttered, “Hei Zhenzhu, oh, Hei Zhenzhu, people say that the color of black is ominous, but I do wish that you, this black pearl, would bring me good luck. Right now I really need some good luck …”

Chu Liuxiang looked up to the vast sky full of stars above; he was lost in thought for half a day.

Shining stars have always able to bring tranquility to his mind, to clear his head. Usually, he only needed to lie down on the deck of his boat, and then all the difficult problems would go away.

But tonight, those shining stars did not seem to be able to help him much. Even after thinking for half a day, his brains was still in a big mess; he could not help smiling ruefully and wondered, “Could it be that the stars here are not the same as the ones on the ocean?”

Finally making up his mind, he returned to the Beggar Clan’s fragrant hall.

The main hall was still brightly lit. Chu Liuxiang jumped down, but unexpectedly nobody appeared from the dark to ask him the question, “Go up to heaven or go down to Hades.”

Chu Liuxiang had no choice but to cough loudly and said, “Is NanGong Xiong here?”

From the main hall immediately someone responded, “Please come in.”

The overturned chairs had been tidied up, the broken window had been mended, the roof tiles on the floor had been swept clean. It was as if nothing had happened in the main hall at all.

Such a spacious hall, there was only NanGong Ling, one person, sitting in it, but on the table there were several sets of cup and chopsticks, as well as several bottles of wine.

Unexpectedly it was as if NanGong Ling was already waiting for Chu Liuxiang. Seeing Chu Liuxiang stepping through the door, he did not look surprised at all; he merely stood up, cupped his fist, and said with a laugh, “Chu Xiong indeed came to collect my debt of wine. Fortunately Xiaodi has already prepared several bottles of wine; otherwise, Chu Xiong came here, Xiaodi could only escape without a trace.”

Chu Liuxiang laughed and said, “You knew I was going to look for you here? You are not surprised the least bit?”

NanGong Ling laughed heartily and said, “When Chu Xiong wants to collect wine debt, who under the heavens would be able to escape? Even if Xiaodi go to hide at the ends of the earth, Chu Xiong will be able to find me; this is also not unusual at all.”

Chu Liuxiang also laughed heartily; he said, “That’s true; my nose usually has a ailment, wherever there is good wine, I can always smell it, much less so many bottles of top-quality Zhuyeqing [green bamboo leaves, type of wine].”

Amidst his laughter, he sat down. His eyes swept around, he said, “Too bad there is wine without any food; unavoidably I have a feeling that there is small defect in an otherwise perfect situation. You ought to know, to a guy who loves to eat like me, this is simply a mistreatment.”

NanGong Ling said, “Originally we did have the dishes, Xiaodi had prepared several fat chicken, a pig’s hoof, and also some smoked fish and preserved meat.”

“Could it be that chicken, fish and preserved meat know stealth technique?” Chu Liuxiang said, “How come I cannot see them?”

NanGong Ling laughed and said, “Chu Xiong cannot see, simply because just now someone came, and poured all the dishes into the yin [female/negative, as in yin-yang] gutter.”

Chu Liuxiang said, “Could it be that this person has a deep hatred, irreconcilable enmity with me?”

NanGong Ling restrained himself from laughing; he said, “He knew that the guest Xiaodi was waiting for was Chu Xiong, so he scolded Xiaodi, saying that Xiaodi was entertaining Chu Xiong with such coarse dishes, unavoidably I am mistreating Chu Xiang Shuai’s tongue too much.”

Smiling wryly, Chu Liuxiang said, “Chu Liuxiang does not eat chicken meat, are you saying I have to drink the northwest wind [idiom: cold and hungry]?”

Suddenly someone said with a laugh, “The toil on the red dust [i.e. world of mortals (Buddhism)] already consumes human being’s spiritual nature until there is not much left. If you add fat chicken and fat meat onto it, I’m afraid that the barely remaining spiritual nature would be blinded as well.”

A man came floating in from the rear hall, wearing plain clothes and white socks, untainted by even a speck of dust, so that even the smile on his face also appeared out-of-the-dust; unexpectedly it was the ‘Wonder Monk’ Wuhua.

Chu Liuxiang laughed heartily and said, “Turns out it is you. You, this Wonder Monk, don’t touch meat and fish, are you saying I must copy you to become a monk? But even if I became a monk, I would become a wine-and-meat monk; seeing dishes with generous amounts of meat and fish, I will immediately be reluctant to leave the mortal world.”

Wuhua laughed indifferently and said, “Eating meat is contemptible; don’t you want to try changing your taste?”

Chu Liuxiang appeared delighted; he said, “Are you saying that you are willing to go down to the kitchen?”

Wuhua sighed and said, “Playing Qin, one must have someone who understands music, delicious food must also have someone who knows flavor. Were it not for you, whose tongue has been cultivated since you are little on how to distinguish good or bad taste, why would Pinseng be willing to touch the smoke and fire?”

Chu Liuxiang laughed and said, “If you have smoke and fire on you, do you want us to dredge the food directly from the pot?”

NanGong Ling laughed and said, “This is also strange; no matter where Wuhua Dashi [grand master, a term of respect to address a Buddhist monk] is coming from, he always seems to be ten times cleaner than us. Apparently the dirt and dust of the mundane world cannot contaminate him. Perhaps the saying ‘Celestial Lady scattering the flower, rubbing the flower without being contaminated’ is just like this!”

Pouring the wine till the cups were full, he toasted, “Fortunately, wine is one thing that has the purest nature; otherwise, if Dashi did not even drink wine, how could we all endure!”

Chu Liuxiang laughed toward Wuhua and said, “If ‘three people drink wine, but only you do not drink’, I will really admire you.”

These three men’s wine capacity was really scary; if there was a fourth person on the side watching them drinking, he would have thought that the wine bottles were filled with water.

Two bottles of wine already went down their belly, but the faces of all three of them remained the same.

Chu Liuxiang suddenly said, “It is said that there is one man in Jianghu whose wine capacity is supposedly without equal, he is able to drink a thousand cups without getting drunk. One day he drank three hundred bowls of ‘Ergoutou’ [sorghum liquor) from outside the Pass in succession; unexpectedly he was still able to stand and walk back home.”

“Oh?” NanGong Ling said, “Is there such man? Who is he?”

Chu Liuxiang said, “It’s the ‘King of the Desert’ Zha Muge.”

As he spoke, he carefully watched NanGong Ling’s expression.

But NanGong Ling simply laughed aloud and said, “They say it was three hundred bowls, but actually, able to drink half of that would be pretty good. Of all the drinkers in the world, not one does not exaggerate his own wine capacity a little bit. In Xiaodi’s opinion, he might not necessarily be able to drink more than you and I.”

Chu Liuxiang’s eyes were burning brightly, “Have you ever seen him?” he asked, “Have you ever had a drink with him?”

NanGong Ling smiled and said, “Too bad Xiaodi has never seen him. Otherwise, I really want to decide who’s the better drinker, he or I.”

Chu Liuxiang stroked his nose and muttered, “I am afraid you won’t have such opportunity.”

NanGong Ling laughed and said, “As long as he is not dead, there will always be an opportunity.”

Chu Liuxiang put down his cup and spoke word-by-word, “Who said he is not dead?”

“Is he dead?” NanGong Ling asked, “When did he die? How come nobody in Jianghu knows?”

“How do you know that nobody in Jianghu knows about his death?” Chu Liuxiang asked.

Smiling, Wuhua interrupted, “The Beggar Clan’s information network is fast and abundant. If there is anybody in Jianghu knows about this information, how could the Beggar Clan’s Bangzhu do not know?”

Chu Liuxiang sighed and said, “That’s right. There is indeed nobody in Jianghu who knows about this information, only because I have hidden his corpse, intentionally preventing others from finding out about his death.”

Staring at him, NanGong Ling asked, “But why?”

Chu Liuxiang’s eyes flickered; he said slowly, “Because the killer created a diversion in order to make Jianghu people think that they were fighting each other and died together. Not only that, they all died. If I did not hide their bodies and prevented this news from leaking out, the culprit would be unfettered and beyond the law. Why should I let him off so easily?”

NanGong Ling nodded and said, “That’s right. With what Chu Xiong did, the people of their school, their relatives, would not know that they are dead. Presumably they would do everything within their power to find out their whereabouts, then the culprit could forget about passing his days in peace and quiet.”

Wuhua smiled and said, “Pinseng always said, when the bad guys encountered Chu Xiang Shuai, they must have committed too much sins in their previous life.”

Fixing his gaze on NanGong Ling, Chu Liuxiang asked, “Would you help me find the real culprit?”

NanGong Ling laughed and replied, “Chu Xiong must not forget, the Beggar Clan disciples have the reputation to be too inquisitive about other people’s business; although still inferior to Chu Xiang Shuai, the difference is not too much.”

“In that case,” Chu Liuxiang said, “Could you tell me, where is Ren Lao Bangzhu’s madam this moment?”

Astonished, NanGong Ling said, “Are you saying Madame Ren is related to this matter?”

Chu Liuxiang said, “The hidden reason behind this, you may find out in the future, but now you only need to tell me where Madame Ren is, then you are already doing me the biggest favor.”

His eyes were still fixed on NanGong Ling, but he said with a big laughter, “If you are unwilling to tell me, I am afraid I will think that you are deliberately covering up the culprit. If I talked rubbish, I am afraid you, as the Beggar Clan’s Bangzhu, will find it unbearable.”

Wuhua smiled and said, “Chu Xiong’s most adorable trait is that sometimes he will raise hell like a little child.”

NanGong Ling sighed and said, “After Ren Lao Bangzhu died, Madame Ren vowed to remain unmarried. In my capacity as Beggar Clan disciple, Xiaodi actually cannot take an outside to disturb her.”

And then he slightly paused his speech, turned toward Chu Liuxiang, laughed, and said, “Yet although Xiaodi is not afraid of anybody else, seeing Chu Xiong, I am actually quite helpless.”

Thanks foxs