Thread: Hong Lung 18 Palms vs. 1 Yeung Finger Technique

Default Hong Lung 18 Palms vs. 1 Yeung Finger Technique

Riffing off the concept behind this post.

If we have two fighters who have identical talents, experience, and inner power level, but one has ONLY Hong Lung 18 Palms and the other has ONLY 1 Yeung Finger Technique as external fighting skills, to which fighter would you grant the advantage in one-on-one fair combat against each other?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

This is the old Axe-man vs Sword-man question. The former is stronger but less accurate, while the latter is more precise but not as powerful. I see this as MAD scenario. For 1YF to deliver the killing blow it must get within range of HL18P, resulting in a no win situation for both.

It would lead to one of them becoming a great hero of the north and the other a reknowned king of the south

But another way to look at the question. If you had Greats lvl internal and ability and had to choose one of the Arts, which one and why?

When I was young, nothing was cooler than the XL18P. But as I got older and re-read JY a few times, I now would take 1-Yang Finger.
    Not because it is stronger, but I started to like techniques that were less "fierce" and starting liking techniques that were more "intricate". So rather than using a Palm Blast to blow an opponent away, I would like to subtly tap him out

it's like comparing YG's roar to 1-Deng's soft transmission. Perhaps I started getting older myself, thus preferring more refined methods of projecting power.
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 07-24-17 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    It would lead to one of them becoming a great hero of the north and the other a reknowned king of the south

But another way to look at the question. If you had Greats lvl internal and ability and had to choose one of the Arts, which one and why?

When I was young, nothing was cooler than the XL18P. But as I got older and re-read JY a few times, I now would take 1-Yang Finger.
    Not because it is stronger, but I started to like techniques that were less "fierce" and starting liking techniques that were more "intricate". So rather than using a Palm Blast to blow an opponent away, I would like to subtly tap him out

it's like comparing YG's roar to 1-Deng's soft transmission. Perhaps I started getting older myself, thus preferring more refined methods of projecting power.
    Yang Guo was quite refined at projecting sound too.

YG wasn't as refined
    He was more abundant and powerful

剛猛 vs 純

I've been meaning to respond to an old thread on YG vs 1-Deng on this subject
    There was a martial arts comic book that described this quite well. It described how certain practitioners had very abundant qi. Thus can last very long in fights and can also use BIG energy consuming moves. However, the main character and a few of the "Elite" fighters had better refined Qi. It was more pure, and was condensed-- the comic described it like refining process to get something into a concentrated form. These practitioners didn't quite have the stamina, but through better/efficient usage of technique, they were able to deliver the same damage.

I think this is the difference between YG and 1-Deng. One had abundant energy but wasn't quite as refined (a huge roar), one had refined and controlled energy (soft 1000 mile sound transfer- similar to DGSD's 1st Evil). It's about purity and refinement vs power

A crude example is like comparing a shotgun to a rifle. It achieves different things, and has different pros and cons. Both are important depending on usage

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I kind of underwent the opposite transition

I have gained appreciation for "still refined but hit you in the most direct way" stuff like XL18Z and DG9J. They are like the Google of wuxia - highly effective, simple-looking, but genius in the hidden details.

I am sad about the removal of Sweeper Monk's "XL18Z really is #1 in the world" praise in 3rd ed.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」