Thread: What happened to all of the MA manuals in later era's?

Default What happened to all of the MA manuals in later era's?

During the Yuan dynasty, Zhang Wuji came across the Nine Yang Manual and was able to build an incredible internal.

Before leaving the cave, he buried the four-volume Nine Yang Manual in a hole.

What happen if a person from the Qing dynasty had found it? Would they be able to reach the same MA level as Zhang Wuji?

Unless MA skills were never written down. How come no one in the Qing dynasty was able to reach the same MA level as the Song dynasty?
    Last edited by Stance; 10-26-17 at 06:55 AM.

it was said that many shaolin monks learnt yijinjing but only a basic level during The deer and the cauldron era (qing dynasty) ,
    so i think a newer generation people in wulin is not as clever as older generation in term of learning martial arts and and not dilligent enough , a gun is also play big role here , technology make people lazy
    so i think if someone from qing dynasty accidentally find 9-yang that buried, at most he would learn only lv.1 or 2 of it

are SPW count as later area ?
    if so, in SPW, peoples of wulin never heard of 9 yin or 9 yang manual
    they think highly incomplete KHBD or BXJF as a supreme MA

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    i think if someone from qing dynasty accidentally find 9-yang that buried, at most he would learn only lv.1 or 2 of it
    I can't see Hu Yi Dao, Miao Ren Feng, Hu Fei or Chen Jialuo as being lazy and giving up half way?

Theoretically anyone with the manuals should be able to train up to the same inner power/techniques that anyone in seclusion has been able to as the technology and other things wouldn't really matter if you don't interact with the rest of the world anyway.

The likely explanation would be that the people who did pass on manuals passed them on to people who stayed in society and they valued the manuals less and less as martial arts became less useful with technology and it eventually did get lost. Fewer people interested in martial arts (or at least not interested enough to devote their life to it) means less geniuses that appear that are able to create new things or even practice the old stuff at a high enough level and eventually you get the watered down Qing era arts.

All that said, if Zhang Wuji burst out of the cave with 9 Yang and was already invincible by far, he would likely not advance as much as he did in HSDS when other fighters posed problems for him. And he was probably only like 20-30% of what he eventually became; so it's unlikely Great level fighters would appear even with all the manuals as there are no other fighters that would push them to improve during the Qing era. People like Zhang Sanfeng and Dugu advanced in seclusion, but they were already at the point where they fought and defeated a ton of high level people and had experience to draw upon, while someone in the Qing era would not.
    Last edited by tape; 10-28-17 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Theoretically anyone with the manuals should be able to train up to the same inner power/techniques that anyone in seclusion has been able to as the technology and other things wouldn't really matter if you don't interact with the rest of the world anyway.

The likely explanation would be that the people who did pass on manuals passed them on to people who stayed in society and they valued the manuals less and less as martial arts became less useful with technology and it eventually did get lost. Fewer people interested in martial arts (or at least not interested enough to devote their life to it) means less geniuses that appear that are able to create new things or even practice the old stuff at a high enough level and eventually you get the watered down Qing era arts.

All that said, if Zhang Wuji burst out of the cave with 9 Yang and was already invincible by far, he would likely not advance as much as he did in HSDS when other fighters posed problems for him. And he was probably only like 20-30% of what he eventually became; so it's unlikely Great level fighters would appear even with all the manuals as there are no other fighters that would push them to improve during the Qing era. People like Zhang Sanfeng and Dugu advanced in seclusion, but they were already at the point where they fought and defeated a ton of high level people and had experience to draw upon, while someone in the Qing era would not.
    I think JY intentionally left it such that over time, he wrote in some of the ways the arts got lost. e.g. no manual for dragon palms, Bei Ming burnt, KHBD watered down. To give a general idea that the top arts over time get lost. Then as you said, 10 top arts, 1 gets lost, with only 8 challengers instead of 9, the guys improve less, then 1 more gets lost cos it wasn't written down and the cycle slowly continues.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

WHen fortie Winters ſhall beſeige thy brow,
    And digge deep trenches in thy beauties field,
    Thy youthes proud liuery ſo gaz'd on now,
    Wil be a totter'd weed of ſmal worth held:
    Then being askt,where all thy beautie lies,
    Where all the treaſure of thy luſty daies;
    To ſay within thine owne deepe ſunken eyes,
    Were an all-eating ſhame,and thriftleſſe praiſe.
    How much more praiſe deſeru'd thy beauties uſe,
    If thou couldſt anſwere this faire child of mine
    Shall ſum my count,and make my old excuſe
    Proouing his beautie by ſucceſſion thine.
    This were to be new made when thou art ould,
    And ſee thy blood warme when thou feel'ſt it could.
    I'd imagine a 500+ year old manual would be even harder to interpret than a 500 year old Shakespeare sonnet. So it'd be not too surprising if newer generations can only learn a very small percentage of the ancient arts.
    Proud to be part of http://www.asianfanatics.net/

Quote Originally Posted by serdtje View Post
    are SPW count as later area ?
    if so, in SPW, peoples of wulin never heard of 9 yin or 9 yang manual
    they think highly incomplete KHBD or BXJF as a supreme MA
    That is why I hate ZM for stealing 9 Yin from ZZR. I also dislike ZWJ for not giving the 9 Yang to Wudang sect. If those martial arts exist in SPW, nobody would care about the incomplete garbage KHBD and BXJF.