Thread: Yes, I'm Asian

Default Yes, I'm Asian

Written in story format...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Hey! You're Asian!" says some poor white girl, surprised that an Asian girl has somehow landed in her art class. "...Yes, I'm Asian." I reply somewhat half-heartedly to this girl. Is being Asian really all that strange, exotic, in this melting pot of the United States?

I look Asian, yes, I have the typical black hair, "yellow" skin, Asian eyes, not chinky though, I do have the double eyelids. But I've thought so many times that hey, would it really be so bad if I was white? Then my family wouldn't be a mafia would it?

What do I define as mafia? Well, mafia in this sense equals a close community, gathering, of people that seem very very close on the outside, and very possibly ARE that close on the inside, but behind each others backs, there's the constant gossiping, the constant stabbing in the back to gain the upper hand with the head of the family. In my case, the grandmother.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    **WARNING**
    This is VERY VERY basic...not even close to what I want to get down. But...it's a start. ... ... ... right??

feedback anyone....?? should i keep going....??

Considering the fact that the amount of Asians had underwent a meteoric rise during the past few years, I was still surprised that people make such a big fuss at seeing an Asian. What's their problem? Never seen an Asian before? Damn it, Jackie Chan and Jet Li frequently populate their theatre screens, yet they still make it seem as if they have just seen an alien, when I'm just an Asian!

These thoughts plagued my mind as I walked my way back to my mansion. Dad had continually insisted that he would send someone to fetch me, but I wouldn't want even more attention on myself.

Twenty minutes went by, I reached my home. Only to hear the sounds of screaming and wailing, followed by some cursing. Apparently, someone had pissed dad off again, and he was ... how do I call it? Ah yes, teaching that poor sod some manners.

I opened the door, and saw said poor sod lying on a pool of crimson, his face beaten to a bloody pulp. Twisting my face in disgust, and turned to the large man.

"Liu, how MANY times must I tell you NOT to do this in the living room? Jeez! If you want to beat someone up, do it in the garage or something!" I scowled.

"Don't worry, miss, it's over now." Liu grunted, pulled out a revolver and emptied all the bullets on the other guy's face.

.... sorry, couldn't resist. Well, you can continue if you want to, since the first post was so short, I didn't even know how ya wanna continue it.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I find this very interesting. I think that you should keep going (as if my opinion matters.) On flip-side I am not Asian, and yet I never thought it odd to see Asians around me. Sure, I thought it was cool, because they are so different not only in appearance but in the way they think. The only thing that ever bothered me was that I couldn't understand what the heck they were saying when they were speaking their languages (whether it was Thai, Mandarin, or Japanese etc.) Maybe it is the fact that I have been around Asians since my childhood, I don't know. It is good to see another point of view, I would like to see what else you think.
    --=={Grundle}==--

hehe, thanks eliar! that's so funny. do you want to keep going back and forth with this story? a mini round robin fanfic?

grundle, thanks for your opinion! i'll continue! right now!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yup, that's dad for you. Always with the harsh lessons, but you know, he doesn't like doing the dirty work, so he always gets one of our bodyguards to do it for him. The first time I saw the punishment, I was, of course, overly shocked, but you know, you get used to these things. Still disgusting, but not so surprising.

Knowing the "rules," I quickly slipped out of my shoes before running upstairs to find my grandparents. I was taught these rules when I was...I don't even remember the age I was. But I remember my dad saying something along the lines of this. "When nainai and yiehyieh are here, first thing you do when you get home from anything, no matter what, you go find them and give them a kiss on the cheek to tell them you're home. If you're leaving, make sure you tell them where you're going, even if you think they don't care. Leave all our personal family business in the dark when talking to your grandmother. She's always looking for something to criticize or use against us. When asked favoritism questions by your grandmother concerning your cousins, aunties, or uncles, make sure you answer completely fairly. Something along the lines of 'I like everyone the same. They're all very nice to me.'" Of course, there's more. These are only the basic ones that apply to the grandparents.

I felt bad for lying to them about dad's job, but hey, you do what you gotta do. And you definitely gotta keep the grandparents happy. And if you can't do that, at least keep them satisfied. Or else, next time the family gets together, you'll see your own family at the bottom of the chain.

Nah, it's okay, you're doing great!
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo