Page 20 of 114 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

Thread: The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 2018

4. Why is there a need for ZZR to kill the old couple?

1st trailer has just been released

Any cmt?
    Tbh, I don't like the slow motion here and Wuji seems *smarter* than the original character in the novel.

Not a fan of either the look of this ZWJ or whoever is voicing him. He sounds like a child. Not too fussed though cause imo HSDS is all about the supporting cast and ZWJ is just a placeholder pleb.

Guessing they're using a lot more slow mo and CGI because the younger cast can barely do the stunts/martial arts so it can still look "impressive". At least from the trailer, the production of this looks way more grand and expensive compared to the penny pinching XAJH from earlier this year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Bob View Post
    OMG I LIKE DIS TRAILER!!!! One of my biggest gripe about LoCH was it looked like you're following a flying drone around. The cinematography in this trailer was immersive and did not distract me from how it was captured on camera.

Just hope they didn't shove the best SFX into this trailer to makee u judge a book by its covers coz I'd hate it if the rest were only so-so...

Guessing they're using a lot more slow mo and CGI because the younger cast can barely do the stunts/martial arts so it can still look "impressive".
    What I like about HSDS are the action parts and this slow mo thing just peeves me.

Trailer looks interesting. There is one part where ZM appears to be seriously injured (stabbed?). Does not look like the wedding clash part. Maybe it is the Persian part.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    1. Isn't it safe for zwj and zm to retire in Mongolia? zwj is anti-Mongol and zm has "forsaken" her home country.
    Of course, mainland is not safe too. Zhu Yuanzhang will be out to get them.
    2. Why does ZZR want/need to kill XX? Afterall she did not know that XX know the secret.
    3. How does XX deduce that ZZR is the one responsible? In some previous discussion, it is noted that he remembered hearing the Emei's ring. Is this the reason? Afterall, XX did not meet ZM for explanation.
    1. i think they would live at desolate place in Mongol.
    2. good question, i dont really know the answer... maybe at first, zzr want to kill xx for revenge (to wuji), but later after xx said some bad and curse words to her, she got suspicious, then she asked one of emei disciple to kill xx to shut his mouth .
    i think you should ask this question to wuxia fiction, as i dont know the real answer
    3. there is difference between 2nd and 3rd edition. in 2nd edition, Wuji went to the hole that XX detained, XX carved pictures on the wall about what happen , he know the incident all along , just decide to keep the secret until the best time. there was no explanation how he discovered. i have heard about the ring’s sound story too, i dont remember in what chapter the story appear or in what edition of HSDS . in the third edition, jin yong removed the “carved pictures” story, so that makes the story more blurred than the 2nd ed . u should asked this question to wuxia ficition too.
    4. maybe to hide her identify so wuji wont know that she was there , or she was preparing to make an ambush to wuji, so she killed the couple first

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    What I like about HSDS are the action parts and this slow mo thing just peeves me.
    I always thought that depicting 乾坤大挪移 is really hard without using CGI of some sort. And it appears they went with the slow mo pan thing for the fighting in this series because its trendy? idk

I hope they nail the 9 bone claws transformation of ZZR, it's one of my favourite bits of JY novels.

3. How does XX deduce that ZZR is the one responsible? In some previous discussion, it is noted that he remembered hearing the Emei's ring. Is this the reason? Afterall, XX did not meet ZM for explanation.
    This is an interesting discussion. Jin Yong deliberately left it entirely out of the story but some of the adaptations fleshed it out to some degree. I think there are 3 theories

1. XX knew everything right from the start. Maybe because he's been blind for so long that his hearing sense is heightened to the point where a slight noise could have caught his attention and then he overheard the whole thing. Also, old people typically have lighter sleep.

2. XX didn't know but his jianghu acuity/sixth sense told him there was something wrong with ZZR during their time on the island. After they came back to the main land, maybe he caught a few of her acts and eventually figured it out. Remember that not only is XX very smart, he also has animal-like sixth sense from living like an animal for a reaaaaallly long time. Maybe he could tell that ZZR's kungfu was progressing rapidly and it wasn't Er Mei kungfu (Er Mei's kungfu is Jiu Yang-based while ZZR's new kungfu is Jiu Yin-based, completely opposite). ZZR had something to do with both the Heaven sword and Dragon Sabre missing. Then he connected the dots. This is the theory that some adaptations took.

In both theories, it's obvious that eventually XX figured out ZZR's deeds and ZZR also figured out that XX knew.

As for the 1st theory, the question is, why didn't XX tell ZWJ and actually even forced ZWJ to marry ZZR? To me, it's all because of ZWJ's future as the leader of Ming Jiao and maybe eventually as the new king of China. He knew that ZWJ loved ZM and if he married ZM, no way he could continue as the resistance leader (and that exactly what would happen later). So as of that point, the only way to make sure ZWJ doesn't marry ZM is to make him marry ZZR. Now, that wouldn't be fair to both ZWJ and ZM but XX is someone who wouldn't mind some unscrupulous acts if the end justifies the means. It's only later when ZZR figured out that he knew and turned on him first, that he decided to out her.

I like the 1st theory a lot more as it gives XX more edge and that's exactly how I would picture XX.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    In both theories, it's obvious that eventually XX figured out ZZR's deeds and ZZR also figured out that XX knew.

It's only later when ZZR figured out that he knew and turned on him first, that he decided to out her.
    Somehow, I am not convinced how ZZR figured out that XX knew her misdeeds. When ZWJ, ZZR and XX reached mainland, the last two were quickly captured by Cheng Kun and Chen Youliang. Both ZZR and XX are separate. On the other hand, something may have happened on the ship for them to suspect each other.

Not a fan of either the look of this ZWJ or whoever is voicing him. He sounds like a child. Not too fussed though cause imo HSDS is all about the supporting cast and ZWJ is just a placeholder pleb.

Guessing they're using a lot more slow mo and CGI because the younger cast can barely do the stunts/martial arts so it can still look "impressive". At least from the trailer, the production of this looks way more grand and expensive compared to the penny pinching XAJH from earlier this year.
    I hate the slow-mo, too. When "The Matrix" came out, it was great but now it's just way overdone. Give me back the fast pace of the 90s' Hongkong fight choreography.

Somehow, I am not convinced how ZZR figured out that XX knew her misdeeds. When ZWJ, ZZR and XX reached mainland, the last two were quickly captured by Cheng Kun and Chen Youliang.
    But how they were captured that was left out of the story as well. Remember that at this point, ZZR's kungfu has made major progress (as evident by her performance at the wedding not long after that). And together with XX's jianghu experience, it would be very hard to capture them alive without any trace left behind. Maybe ZZR had a hand in XX's abduction. Or maybe they were fighting and then Cheng Kun/Chen Youliang just showed up at the right time.

i am so curious about story xie xun hearing the sound of emei's ring dropped , i heard it somewhere but dont remember, is it really exist in the novel? i am sure 3rd edition doesnt have it, but dont know about 1st edition

Remember that at this point, ZZR's kungfu has made major progress (as evident by her performance at the wedding not long after that).
    For this part, XX does not know. Indeed, the "dumb" zwj does not realise it. If I remember correctly, it is ZM who mentioned the improvement of skills of ZZR.

Maybe ZZR had a hand in XX's abduction.
    To some extent, I do not understand this part too. Because ZZR was "easily" captured. She did not attempt to fight back. With ZZR in their hands, XX has no choice but to surrender.

To add, there will be a change in sequence of events when zwj, zzr and xx reaches mainland as zzr will need to retrieve the manuals from Peach Blossom Island and learn the nine jing claws skills.
    Maybe, a_t can confirm on this.

yes, three of them arrived in central plain in january, at that time zzr was not learn 9yin white bone claw yet because she didnt have the manual yet (based on ed3 , which JY revised from manual to map) , then after ZZR quarelled with wuji, she left.
    there is not information of zzr after that.
    after Wuji finished some important work of ming cult (gathering in butterfly valley, commanding to find the whereabout of xx, etc) , then wuji went to find zzr , asking for forgiveness, then they planned to marry in June (at this time , zzr asked some yin-type of inner energy theory to wuji, we can already guess what it is)
    so ZZR learnt white bone claw for mere 5 months , i think only 2-3 months?

Thanks, a_t. Wondering whether this series will be based on the latest edition.

This may have been discussed before. In the end, what happened to the last two manuals?
    1. Book of Wumu - was given to Xu Da.
    2. Nine Yin Manual and Guo Jing's "Eighteen Dragon Subduing Palms"? Did ZM return the former to ZZR?

Looks like zm did not return the 9 yin manual to zzr.
    As for the 18 Dragon manual, MIA.