Thread: The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 2018

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4363503148097344

This is the post that i got to know they cut 20 episodes

One fan wrote to the company but no response

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Hey Piyemingo, like you I don't know how much is rumor and how much truth, but if even a fraction of this is true, it's a HORRIBLE thing to happen to Joseph who I think actually carried much of the show on his shoulders!

Honestly the OTP works in large part because Joseph (potentially with coaching from the Directors) has given us the warmest, most expressive ZWJ ever! (Even Tony Leung wasn't a half as wide-eyed and 100% giving his all in every scene that Joseph has been doing. And this is coming from a hard-core '86 fan who still loves that version more, but even I can see that Joseph has been pulling more than his own weight here!)
    Agreed, Joseph did a terrific job with the role. I enjoyed his take on the character very much. However, I differ in opinion in that I feel Tony's is warmer. Maybe because Joseph's is slightly harsher.

I finally finished this series. My overall thoughts: it is a pretty adaptation. Visually appealing with nice sceneries, bright colors and a young pretty cast to boot. The greatest flaw as been mentioned throughout this thread is the actions, namely the overuse of slowmo camera work. Even in later episodes when the slowmo has been greatly reduced, the actions scenes are still not enjoyable to watch. In fact I fast forwarded all the fights lest I be annoyed. This is an wuxia series, so when the fights are not enjoyable to watch, it sucks big time. Speaking of wuxia, I think aniking stated that this feels more like a romance drama than wuxia, and I concur. It is ZWJ-ZM centric. I feel as if the producers revolve the wuxia story around their love story, if that makes sense. Therefore, as an HSDS adaption it trails behind previous version. But as a ZWJ-ZM drama, it's solid. Perhaps the producers should have gone the TVB's Mystery of the Condor Hero/Rage and Passion route and just focuses on the pair with the HSDS storyline as a background.

A few other things: ZZR character. She went from a big cry baby to a ruthless, vindictive madwoman who kills without batting an eye. And then in the end she became repentant just like that. The change in character is too drastic in the short amount of time and with few events unfolded. So her character development is off here. I must say though that she is interesting to watch when became a meanie.

ZM: she does the confident, arrogant and teasing very well. But there were times when I deem out of place. Such as the part when ZWJ just tried to strangler her. She went from sacred to emotional and then finally to that arrogant taunt face. Haha. Even the scene where the Ming Sect members were trying to kill her, she gives off that arrogant expression. I know she's supposed to be confident and all and at that moment doesn't care anymore whether she lives or dies, but is it realistic given the situation?

YX: this guy started out suave and cool. Then became weird and weirder. There is this creepiness vibe about him. He would make these eyes and I wonder what the heck is wrong with the guy. Is he on drug or something? It's like he's in his own world looking out.

XZ: gorgeous but is more like a prop. It's unfortunate that she and ZWJ lacked chemistry. From the time they met to just before she parted, they appeared more like acquaintances. So when he bawled his eyes out when she bid farewell, I went, huh?

CK: I was excited when I heard that Louise Fan was going to play CK. Namely I was excited to watch his action sequences because the guy is just so good at it. Alas, there isn't anything to see here. Just pure CGI. But a waste of talent. Louise performance as CK is just okay. He's just vengeful. Too young for the part.

The ending felt crammed. They tried to stuff a bunch of events in the last few episodes but didn't have enough time or film so the quality suffered.

Decent adaptation. It would benefit with more episodes for better character and story development. That way it doesn't sacrifice some aspects/charactes of the novel while putting emphasis on others. Actors could use martial art training so they could at least try to actually fight and make the action bits for entertaining and not just rely on CGI.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    XZ: gorgeous but is more like a prop. It's unfortunate that she and ZWJ lacked chemistry. From the time they met to just before she parted, they appeared more like acquaintances. So when he bawled his eyes out when she bid farewell, I went, huh?
    I will add in my comments about XZ since she is many's (including me) favorite. I think it is good to make xz like that in this series. In the other series I watch, xz seems very reluctant to leave zwj and worse still zwj and zm did not make an attempt to help her. In this series, the relationship between zwj and xz is not so lovey-lovey. Also, zwj did suggest a final attempt to "save" her. Also good to see that xz was concerned about the others' safety (e.g. xx) and ask zm to take good care of zwj. So, overall, the departure of xz was settled well in this series.

Too bad this series did not follow the latest novel third edition whereby xz wrote back to say she missed zwj.
    And with the death of jy, I do not forsee any adaptation in the future whereby zwj and xz can be together. That's probably one great regret i will have for hsds.

Quote Originally Posted by piyemingo View Post
    You dont need to be embarrassed lauren. Fanfics are always welcomed. I have seen a variety of fanfics written to ease everyone's longing for the series after it ends, ranging from: zwj-zm life in Mongolia, ZWJ-ZM came back to mainland to end Han-Mongol conflict for good, ZWJ-ZM love in modern time (next life motif), more detailed inner dialogues for the characters during important scenes, etc.

There is no bad story. The only bad thing is there is no story
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...11#post1150311

Hi Piyemingo, Wkeej and all

I translated my Fanfic, and it is in this post.
    Thanks for the encouragement !

Spot on dictionary. Agreed with you for the most parts.

Regarding Joseph vs Tony, I think two actors interpret the characters differently. Tony is the soft, gentle, naive ZWJ whereas in Joseph's interpretation, ZWJ is not really "gentle", but rather a rough, yet kind, guy.

Louise Fan was a martial art legend in his own right but too bad CX character was more of a scheming, in-the-dark, person, not a martial art guy.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png') Originally Posted by piyemingo $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png')

You dont need to be embarrassed lauren. Fanfics are always welcomed. I have seen a variety of fanfics written to ease everyone's longing for the series after it ends, ranging from: zwj-zm life in Mongolia, ZWJ-ZM came back to mainland to end Han-Mongol conflict for good, ZWJ-ZM love in modern time (next life motif), more detailed inner dialogues for the characters during important scenes, etc.

Urgggg! Piyemingo please tell me that some of these fanfics are in Chinese or English? I'd love to read a modern fanfic- ZM has so much potential as a modern girl with sass! Honestly I think she matches modern times actually a little better than period characters- and can you imagine how much flirty fun she can get up to with WJ if HSDS was set in the 2019's??

I'll start by listing some of the decent fanfics I've come across (all in Chinese, except mine, but I'll post my link later when I have a new chapter up!) BTW, I'd warn that Lofter navigation takes practice but it's worth while once you discover the wealth of c-fanfics you can access there!

1) Time travel, where ZM actually dies, so ZWJ tries to follow her as he promised but is instead given a 2nd chance to go back to Liu Manor and redo his time with her knowing what he knows may happen! (WIP, so not finished)
    绿柳成荫花满堂(1)

2) Where ZWJ goes to find ZM at the end, but discovers that 1) when ZM left Ming sect sent assassins after her (which makes sense!) 2) that the Crown Prince of Yuan saved her and is keeping her company and 3) that it's not so easy to get back together with her as he thought! (Author has promised a happy ending though )
    几番风雨(一)

3) AU where ZM and ZWJ meet after GMD but in very different circumstances, more or less follows the sequence of events but makes ZM role very different (and I think in many ways makes more sense) and also (for those of you who asked) includes an active Yuan Crown Prince (and his brother, so TWO Mongolian princes! )
    郡主不好惹(1)

Enjoy!
    They are in Vietnamese -.-''

So far they are discussing ideas for a new modern fanfic. ZWJ is policeman whereas ZM is the heir of a big corporation (basically rich kid). They are still stuck on how to get guy to touch the girl's foot, so that they suddenly have an epiphany of their past lives.

It's hilarious following their ideas and discussion.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png') Originally Posted by piyemingo $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png')

Urgggg! Piyemingo please tell me that some of these fanfics are in Chinese or English? I'd love to read a modern fanfic- ZM has so much potential as a modern girl with sass! Honestly I think she matches modern times actually a little better than period characters- and can you imagine how much flirty fun she can get up to with WJ if HSDS was set in the 2019's??

I'll start by listing some of the decent fanfics I've come across (all in Chinese, except mine, but I'll post my link later when I have a new chapter up!) BTW, I'd warn that Lofter navigation takes practice but it's worth while once you discover the wealth of c-fanfics you can access there!

1) Time travel, where ZM actually dies, so ZWJ tries to follow her as he promised but is instead given a 2nd chance to go back to Liu Manor and redo his time with her knowing what he knows may happen! (WIP, so not finished)
    绿柳成荫花满堂(1)

2) Where ZWJ goes to find ZM at the end, but discovers that 1) when ZM left Ming sect sent assassins after her (which makes sense!) 2) that the Crown Prince of Yuan saved her and is keeping her company and 3) that it's not so easy to get back together with her as he thought! (Author has promised a happy ending though )
    几番风雨(一)

3) AU where ZM and ZWJ meet after GMD but in very different circumstances, more or less follows the sequence of events but makes ZM role very different (and I think in many ways makes more sense) and also (for those of you who asked) includes an active Yuan Crown Prince (and his brother, so TWO Mongolian princes! )
    郡主不好惹(1)

Enjoy!
    (1) and (2) sound interesting. Oh man, I have to contend to just reading the English translation from Google Translate, which definitely will diminish the quality of the writing.

Well, I was hoping to see a modern ZM, too. Sort of a mix-up between Andy and Qu Xiaoxiao in Ode To Joy. But nothing in view in the near future

For now, I'll have to contend to her upcoming pairing with Jeremy Xu. Still waiting for confirmation from the company, but if that becomes true, that's up another level for Yukee. Martial art + war + political scheming + capable male actor = perfect recipe to stardom.

绿柳成荫花满堂(1)

几番风雨(一)

郡主不好惹(1)

Enjoy!
    OMG
    I love this !
    Must spend some time finish reading them

Haha... that does sound hilarious! Did you see the fan MV with Joseph Yukkee in modern student west from other drama of them interspersed with images from HSDS 2019... or implied a modern high school romance/reincarnation and it was really well done!

Have been catching up with C-news. Interesting businesses nowadays in C-biz, almost like gong dou.

Apparently Tang Yan has always been very selective with PR and publicity, so that strategy has carried on over to Yukee. Tang Yan is famous for not attending game shows or promo events, she even sat far apart from her fiancee when they were doing promo for movies together, so that the news will centre on the rest of the cast and not about their couple interactions. And her company has a track record of not forcing their own artiste into couple rumours with other cast (very popular strategy to boost search ranking for main CP nowadays). Joseph and Yukee seem to have a few fun moments offscreen, but their respective companies have decided not to release these photos except for a few posted by the production company themselves.

So far Joseph has been a little more active than Yukee in his own weibo. Specifically, he posted on certain occasions: Valentine day, XZ last episode, hand-holding photo with Yukee before the last few eps, a short clip he edited himself after the series end. Just enough to keep the heat on.

Bambi's company, on the other hand, does not save on publicity funds. Posts about ZZR character have flooded weibo long before the show airs, complimenting her beauty and predicting that ZZR will outshine ZM in this version. As someone on Facebook community posts regular update of the daily publicity ranking, I have been keeping close tab of the ranking of the main trio. Joseph and Yukee have been hovering around 10th-7th for several weeks, with Bambi in and out of the list. But when the last ep airs, both Joseph and Yukee flew out of the chart in a blink and instead the tagline "XX saves ZZR from arrows" got to 3rd ranking for a day and then out with Joseph and Yukee back on chart. I have a friend working in PR and marketing so she recognises straight away the telltale sign of a seeding campaign (paying people to open up fake accounts and vote/do hot search).

There is a rumour by an online blogger that because HSDS 2019 did not garner success as expected, Tang Yan and Yang Mi blame it on Joseph. Some shadowy business happened, resulting in Joseph losing two big advertisement deals that he had almost finished negotiating. The community came up with another rumour is that YM's company is behind THIS rumour, killing two birds with one stone (backstabbing Joseph while blaming it on Tang Yan) because Joseph refused to engage with Bambi's couple interactions on weibo (she posted and tagged Joseph a lot on her weibo before each week's episodes).

All these happen behind the screen so take my words with a few pinches of salt. Anyway just thought it's interesting enough to let you guys know. C-biz is really a place of much shifei. Sad news is that nowadays, young artistes cannot survive, let alone succeed, if they rely purely on talent. Those that do tend to bloom late into their 30s-40s, like Lin Yushen who played YX. They must be fortunate enough to be backed by a company that knows how to promote their artistes with a good balance between nurturing talent and smart publicity strategies.
    Well, from what I've seen on jaynestars and how hk/tw/cn papparazi operates with nextplus and apple daily, it wouldn't be surprising. Any romantic, cheating, or sex related is worst than drugs sometimes because of ancient chinese moral compass. Even youth nowadays hypocritically social or insecure getting no attention will get salty and start beef and gang up like sheep to hate on someone or subject without learning the context. A lot of shady businesses going on bts in how celebrities rise to fame and what sacrifices they must make other than busy schedule, rehearsal, work waiting hours. Surgeries and "dinner" gathering seem to be big target subject. Anyway, back to series. Ratings dips to 5.6. I guess if you're a wuxia martial art action fans, you would hate the slow romance and political struggle in courts here. I've known people got bored and sleepy from watching this drama because its slow, but they're more in to fast furious and any blockbuster action pic. This series seem more gear toward female youth in some regards. I wish there was more to rush ending after stirring up a few drama as well as foreshadowing a bit of zzr getting with zwj as xx last words. No baby. No pasting torch. It's like roch06 without the hua San funny bits. Looks like roch 19/20 will include z3f and 9 yang arc as the ending. Which means this studio behind loch and hsds won't be making another jin yong after sod/spw is botched twice in last decade. Even dgsd is post production. The big 5 along with duke are already done before. Flying fox, royal blood, and other qing wuxia doesn't capture same fantasy feel. It would be nice to see original sequel or Ant series like how marvel, game of thrones, and Star Wars did. Tvb did a ton in 90s with retconning a lot from source materials. I'm curious if a roch and hsds original sequel would be possible and executed right if jinyong's descendants would allow it. It's hard to see jinyong used to write these as weekly newspaper extra like comic strips back in 50s and 60s for his newspaper to draw sales. It's now an epic journey of highly reputable writings and regard legends above other wuxia.

I'm surprised joseph is just 21. He's rising very quickly and hope he can handle fame. Compares to hk, all top artists are uncles playing teens.

Agreed, Joseph did a terrific job with the role. I enjoyed his take on the character very much. However, I differ in opinion in that I feel Tony's is warmer. Maybe because Joseph's is slightly harsher.

I finally finished this series. My overall thoughts: it is a pretty adaptation. Visually appealing with nice sceneries, bright colors and a young pretty cast to boot. The greatest flaw as been mentioned throughout this thread is the actions, namely the overuse of slowmo camera work. Even in later episodes when the slowmo has been greatly reduced, the actions scenes are still not enjoyable to watch. In fact I fast forwarded all the fights lest I be annoyed. This is an wuxia series, so when the fights are not enjoyable to watch, it sucks big time. Speaking of wuxia, I think aniking stated that this feels more like a romance drama than wuxia, and I concur. It is ZWJ-ZM centric. I feel as if the producers revolve the wuxia story around their love story, if that makes sense. Therefore, as an HSDS adaption it trails behind previous version. But as a ZWJ-ZM drama, it's solid. Perhaps the producers should have gone the TVB's Mystery of the Condor Hero/Rage and Passion route and just focuses on the pair with the HSDS storyline as a background.

A few other things: ZZR character. She went from a big cry baby to a ruthless, vindictive madwoman who kills without batting an eye. And then in the end she became repentant just like that. The change in character is too drastic in the short amount of time and with few events unfolded. So her character development is off here. I must say though that she is interesting to watch when became a meanie.

ZM: she does the confident, arrogant and teasing very well. But there were times when I deem out of place. Such as the part when ZWJ just tried to strangler her. She went from sacred to emotional and then finally to that arrogant taunt face. Haha. Even the scene where the Ming Sect members were trying to kill her, she gives off that arrogant expression. I know she's supposed to be confident and all and at that moment doesn't care anymore whether she lives or dies, but is it realistic given the situation?

YX: this guy started out suave and cool. Then became weird and weirder. There is this creepiness vibe about him. He would make these eyes and I wonder what the heck is wrong with the guy. Is he on drug or something? It's like he's in his own world looking out.

CK: I was excited when I heard that Louise Fan was going to play CK. Namely I was excited to watch his action sequences because the guy is just so good at it. Alas, there isn't anything to see here. Just pure CGI. But a waste of talent. Louise performance as CK is just okay. He's just vengeful. Too young for the part.

The ending felt crammed. They tried to stuff a bunch of events in the last few episodes but didn't have enough time or film so the quality suffered.

Decent adaptation. It would benefit with more episodes for better character and story development. That way it doesn't sacrifice some aspects/charactes of the novel while putting emphasis on others. Actors could use martial art training so they could at least try to actually fight and make the action bits for entertaining and not just rely on CGI.
    Tony got the 80s awkward hero pausing posing moments. 09 is too serious. 94,78,00 don't give me strong impressions right now. Bambi did show a lot signs of her acting tough, but crying in secrets as well as thrive from power. She obtained powerful MA and abused emei's leadership for a while. It's all compensation for being humiliated and rejected by zwj.

Nice compile reenactment. Bambi looks like she reverted to her natural" makeup to go back to her idol school drama waiting to be graduate again. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8PcGljga4Q

Haha... that does sound hilarious! Did you see the fan MV with Joseph Yukkee in modern student west from other drama of them interspersed with images from HSDS 2019... or implied a modern high school romance/reincarnation and it was really well done!
    Haha yes I saw it. Very nicely edited together. Yukee said in an interview she wants to do a modern highschool drama again. Dont think Tang yan will allow it haha. Not sure what i gonna be the trend for 2019, but high school drama timee has past.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i65.tinypic.com/124hruh.jpg')

Oops, seems like ZWJ threw away the handkerchief once he found ZM. Kudos to whichever fan who picked this up, must be watching this episode 100x.

Another fan spotted that ZM glanced over to the pillow next to her before getting up while they were at the farmer house they must be acting as couples and sleeping tgt. Homage to original novel where ZWJ could not control himself and has to go outside the room, leaving ZM to turn around sleepless on the bed.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/335546...57941658182435

Just thinking. In modern life,
    1. Zzr could be zwj's kindergarten friend. Zwj could be a sickly boy and zzr is a nice classmate who take good care of him. Zzr's dad may die of illness and hence zzr could be adopted by some overseas new parents.
    2. In primary school, yin-li appeared. She likes zwj and wanted to bring him to see some doctor but zwj refused. Thus zwj run away from her.
    3. Zwj may have ventured into some mad doctor's house and started studying medicine on his own.
    4. During university, Zwj met xz who is from another country as an exchange student. Xz is attracted by zwj's ideals with medicine to save the world. But one day, xz need to go back as her parents are sick.
    5. Zm is some top mafia's rich daughter. Being quite.gangster, she wanted zwj to submit to her father.
    6. By now, zwj is one uprising doctor and successful ceo. However, his ideal is not to be rich and successful. He developed drugs to help others like the poor.
    7. Zm after a while, is attracted by zwj's ideals.
    Possible modern story?

The TVB version has been edited more tightly. Feedback from those who have watched is that so far the first few episodes were more fast-paced. ZM will appear in ep 19 instead of 23.
    Hong Kong is huge on ZM. Her name even appears before ZWJ on HK's intro sequence.
    OMG, that's wonderful (I mean about HK being huge on ZM) I want more individual story background for her e.g., scenes with her brother and father! [Please drama gods! I promise to be really good this year- I'll try not to get addicted to another series till next year- if you'd grant me this wish!]

Thanks for the good news!

Quote Originally Posted by laurenhuang View Post
    Does anyone find that WJ is very very handsome in a few scenes?
    I hate to break this to you Lauren, but I think here that ZWJ is handsome in _every_ scene (with a very few exceptions)
    #Ahjumma_obsessed_with_ZWJ

Actually oddly I think Joseph not that attractive in non-period costume, or even his other period costume drama, so I also credit (in addition to Joseph himself of course) the wardrobe staff, director and other actors' influence in creating a really gorgeous looking ZWJ for 2019.

Tony is God but Joseph is his sweet little brother.

Agreed as a ZWJ-ZM drama it's solid- actually my overall take on this series is that it's an extremely well-done OuXiang (teen idol) version of HSDS. It's got amazing looking young people as leads, is focused on the central romance, and piles on the energy and angst of a teen drama. (And yes, the kisses are awkward but the hugs are awesome! )

It also boasts a solid secondary cast and I actually think the action is very modern- i.e., visually beautiful rather than focusing on the fights- we get umbrellas flying and jumping on ceiling hangings and details of hand actions which I find aesthetically pleasing.

94 was the QiongYao (melodrama) version
    2009 was the faithful-to-book (so WJ can't decide between any of the girls at all) version
    2000 was the more mature version (great ZM character building, a more mature ZWJ who early on fell for ZM and was consistent plus very gentle- oh yes and I happen to think they have the best kisses there too! )
    78 was the abridged version (very short! Although I think the lead roles were well-cast, Liza is super strong, Yazhi is very sweet and Adam was clueless... )

'86 was the magic version that (IMHO) propelled HSDS to super-stardom because of incredible casting

(1) and (2) sound interesting. Oh man, I have to contend to just reading the English translation from Google Translate, which definitely will diminish the quality of the writing.

Well, I was hoping to see a modern ZM, too. Sort of a mix-up between Andy and Qu Xiaoxiao in Ode To Joy. But nothing in view in the near future

For now, I'll have to contend to her upcoming pairing with Jeremy Xu. Still waiting for confirmation from the company, but if that becomes true, that's up another level for Yukee. Martial art + war + political scheming + capable male actor = perfect recipe to stardom.
    Sorry I thought from your posts that you also understand mandarin, but yeah, google translate sucks at Chinese-English, maybe you'll have better luck with Chinese-Viet since those languages are more closely related?

I loved Andy and XiaoXiao in Ode to Joy (I actually have one OTJ fanfic on AOOO if you're interested!)

ohhh.... she's doing a martial arts one where she is a political schemer? Sign me on! [Or at least share with me the link?]

[I saw this over at the soompi thread: https://wickedpotato.home.blog/2019/...ma-adaptation/ where rumor has her working on a period fantasy with an actor I don't know much about.]

What about Joseph what is up next for him? I'm even more keen to watch his next drama!