Page 55 of 114 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2269

Thread: The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 2018

Aiya... Can't wait til Thursday. Story is getting interesting. Let's gossip a bit to keep the flow going.

What's HSDS ranking in terms of your favourite Jin Yong novel out of the trilogy? And why?

Also, how do you feel about 2019 XX? It never occured to me that XX is supposed to be a cultured, knowledgeable man until someone mentioned it on Fb. He has always been a kind of wild person to me.

My 7 would be:
    • Young ZWJ
    • Yinli
    • WBB
    • Z3F
    • YSS
    • ZCS
    • ZD

ZWJ and ZM are good, too, of course, but decided not to put them here b/c they get more screen time to showcase.

HSDS is one of my three favorites. The others are LOCH and DGSD.

XX cultured? Not sure. Knowledgeable? Not sure too. Possibly yes with his years in wulin.

Yes, I forgot about the very young zwj (clubby one, not the skinny boy).

Yang xiao here is just depressing. He isn't a flirtatious "rapist" like how some version portray him to be like ouyangKe. I find the actor made him too scheming and wanted to upsurge zwj to steal his power or make him his puppet when they're in the same scene. However, I find his scenes with accepting the fact his daughter is marrying his love rival that once loved his wife and is around the same age as him + his bros all believe he will be the father in law of the new cult leader. It's arrows and arrows of emotional trigger. I think he's a decent actor, but his portrayal seems off some times. Other versions show him respect zwj one sided while accepting his daughter's faith more at ease without hesitation or disgust. I also find the daughter is receiving more screen time than Kabby hui's XiaoZhao. She really doesn't stand out at all, but next week shell getting a emotional goodbye. It's like zwj under appreciated her appearance until she's Gone. I do like the eagle, lion, and crazy zhou, but not so much with bat king. His laughing and movement are cringy when the series prioritize on slow motion. He's like a frog jumping and sweeping 3 feet above ground groping people's legs. Also, so zwj didn't cure him. They cut out the z3f talk about 9 yang with zwj after the wudang battle as well as remove flashback to save budget. Yang xiao didn't even show that he's impress that zwj master 6 levels of Great heaven shift. And now we're getting in to melo drama. I guess it's better than roch15 teasing and flirting.
    Out of big 6. Loch, sod, dgsd, hsds, duke, and roch are my definitlely ranking. Out of recent adaptions after 2010. Loch, dgsd, and hsds are still at the top of its game. Sod got butcher twice. Roch only got better near the end. Don't mention about duke with the cgi mess. I find people liked dicky's version for its changes and being a straight up stephen chow remake that nostalgic blind them to see what the original story was suppose to be. I'm seriously not looking forward for dgsd and roch again.

YX as a character is charismatic, indeed, but I don't think it shows LS is good at acting. There are some vids of his acting in other movies and there are the same cocky style. I think it just happens that LS interpretation of YX fits what's desirable by ppl nowadays. I havent seen his acting enough to see whether he got a wide range of acting chops in various roles.
    His YX is good looking, but it gets tiring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by piyemingo View Post
    My 7 would be:
    • Young ZWJ
    • Yinli
    • WBB
    • Z3F
    • YSS
    • ZCS
    • ZD

ZWJ and ZM are good, too, of course, but decided not to put them here b/c they get more screen time to showcase.
    He is very smart with hunting, weather/geography, and accepting of different culture like when he talked about virgins in persian ming cult religion. I reckon he could be a scholar that tried civil exams if mongol isnt ruling china. However, he's short temper and easily frustrated. He went kind of insane and extremely cynical to everyone even ming cult members. I like 03 version where yss acknowledge her father was close with him in ming cult. It's like jinyong wasn't expecting how the story will go back then. Also, xiexun, the lion king is in his 60s. ChenXun would be in his 80s. Cult leader is missing 20+ years. XieXun lost his family 40 years ago when he was 27 during the time he told his story to zwj's parents. That's 20 + 20 because his son was suppose to be 18 during the time he stole the dragon saber. Yet YangDingTin, FanYiao, YangXiao, and other characters's events happened 20 years ago. Yang xiao even said cult leader was missing 20plus years and the letter was written 20 years ago. chenXun only raped XieXun wife and killed his family after he's frustrated and thirsty for revenge after his lover commit suicde. All the characters looks to too young like mejie and yang. Fang made a big deal about being disfigured ,but he's extremely handsome still. ChenXun and XuanMing elders never aged. I want to know if Jinyong mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by piyemingo View Post
    YX as a character is charismatic, indeed, but I don't think it shows LS is good at acting. There are some vids of his acting in other movies and there are the same cocky style. I think it just happens that LS interpretation of YX fits what's desirable by ppl nowadays. I havent seen his acting enough to see whether he got a wide range of acting chops in various roles.

His YX is good looking, but it gets tiring after a while.
    He looks like johnson lee.
    Same with Zm. I thought she looked taller and prettier like yammie in openings. I think she fit the part well with her mischeifs and one up zwj's with her facial expression and voice tone. It turns out she did the same in another series. I think the casting director probably chose her because of that.

History lesson and accuracies needed clarification. I saw the variety show the emei is male only because chinese women in ancient time even the poor village ladies must tied their feet to around "3 inches", so there's no female only sects. Also, z3f is 110 meaning his eldest pupil at most by looking at the actor is 60 while rest like the 6th brother is 39. It means he founded the wudang mountain at 70 or 50 if he adopted the eldest when he's just a baby. GuoXiang founded emei at the age of 40, so it's before wudang, so I could see why mejie is salty and sour about wudang and shaolin. Both used shaolin 9 yang as foundation for their own self invented martial arts. 9 yang is written by a monk to be the opposite of 9 ying internal part or possible a way to compensate 9 ying. It's an internal martial art like shaolin tendon internal martial art that was sought after in SOD and DGSD. Technically, shaolin can't really claim wudang originated from shaolin since z3f didn't learn anything besides 9 yang. Hsds19 need to up its martial references and battles. I'm curious if they expand the myth and lore with mejie explanation of the saber and sword. The promo shows zwj wielding it to slice up a throne, so maybe he's giving up chance to be emperor.

Hmm didn't know about XX either.

But yes, I forgot about young ZWJ who was also very impressive!

Lin Shen might not have much range (I dont know haven't seen him in anything else) but he suits Yangxiao to the T! So for me, is a really good actor for Yang xiao!)

1) YX
    2) Eagle King
    3) Adult ZWJ
    4) Young ZWJ
    5) Zhou Dian (notice it's ALL Ming sect so far!)
    6) ZM
    7) Ding Min Jun
    8) YinLi
    9) Wang Baobao
    10) FY
    11) MJ
    12) ZZR/XZ

Unfortunately I find this ZSF to be a little generic- venerable and respected- he doesn't impress me particularly unlike the '86 one.

I'd give this HSDS the best Ming-sect dynamics I've seen (yes even better than '86- gasp! )

I'm giving ZM actress a few notches up because of the latest few scenes I watched from the pagoda scene, she actually gave me the sense of being menacing and yet amazing at once! And ZZR actress- so hard to say, she was doing really well upfront, but the recent few episodes have been so dragging and ceaseless frowns from her, it's hard to say anymore.

Will be good to see how they handle XZ's departure this week.
    2009 series is weak to me. Unlike the 1978/2003 series, in the 2009 series, zwj + zm were able to defeat the Persian three messengers. So there is no need for XZ and XZ's mum to leave for Persia. Moreover, zwj has captured the Guardian King. So, zwj could have easily demanded that the Persians leave them as part of agreement to release the Guardian King.
    Of course, the counter-argument is that the Persians cannot leave China as they are in search of Daiqisi - whose identity was not revealed then.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Hmm didn't know about XX either.

But yes, I forgot about young ZWJ who was also very impressive!

Lin Shen might not have much range (I dont know haven't seen him in anything else) but he suits Yangxiao to the T! So for me, is a really good actor for Yang xiao!)

1) YX
    2) Eagle King
    3) Adult ZWJ
    4) Young ZWJ
    5) Zhou Dian (notice it's ALL Ming sect so far!)
    6) ZM
    7) Ding Min Jun
    8) YinLi
    9) Wang Baobao
    10) FY
    11) MJ
    12) ZZR/XZ

Unfortunately I find this ZSF to be a little generic- venerable and respected- he doesn't impress me particularly unlike the '86 one.

I'd give this HSDS the best Ming-sect dynamics I've seen (yes even better than '86- gasp! )

I'm giving ZM actress a few notches up because of the latest few scenes I watched from the pagoda scene, she actually gave me the sense of being menacing and yet amazing at once! And ZZR actress- so hard to say, she was doing really well upfront, but the recent few episodes have been so dragging and ceaseless frowns from her, it's hard to say anymore.
    Yanfeng, my list is about the same as yours. I think I have Bat King while you don't.
    Yes, zm acting is good in the pagoda. Like the part where she said "she doesn't allow". The walk under the moon to the inn, while a bit long, is quite romantic too. FY should be the one walking behind them with her horse. But not sure about Ep 35 and 36 where she will be the one "crying" and 'frowning". It will be a drag, imo. Possibly will be a shock to the mighty princess to be questioned by XX.

See the "anger" on her face.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i65.tinypic.com/mtl5xh.jpg')

See the "sweetness" in her face.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i63.tinypic.com/30l11jm.jpg')

See the "sadness" in her face.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i66.tinypic.com/2z99weq.png')

She acts well. :-)

We gotta give praise to the casting director for this series. Very well-cast, well-balanced team of actors and actresses. I reckoned that the casting director looked at past performance to make decision, since the main actors and actresses are rather type casted, like what u guys have observed for YX and ZM. I would say ZZR, too.

Yukee (ZM actress) is luckier than Bambi Zhu (ZZR actress) in that her script gives her a wider range of acting. She gets to act playful, ruthless, in love and then emotional scenes. Fortunately for her she has delivered all these scenes very well, esp the emotional ones. After this, I believe she will get more offers that are out of her previous type cast roles.

Bambi has got that tiny window of before ZWJ met ZM to act as the main heroine of the love story, but she misses that. She didn't act out the inner conflicts in the scenes w Miejue very well, either. Too bad for her, if her later evil arch is successful, she runs the risk of being type cast again for similar roles in the future.

XZ gets too few scenes on her own imo. I as a viewer dont develop enough attachment to her character to feel any sadness at her departure. In the series, XZ took care of every aspect of ZWJ life: food, sleep, clothes, etc. Here she just kinda... be there when he goes around? At least get some scenes of her helping ZWJ to comb hair, for god sake.

YL deserves more scenes! I find the actress delightful to watch. She makes YL appear friendly, humorous, sincere and yet also a little crazy. Really versatile actress.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    See the "sadness" in her face.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i66.tinypic.com/2z99weq.png')

She acts well. :-)
    Agree. Yukee has very expressive eyes. Not talking about these very strong emotional scenes, I enjoy her scenes at the Wudang fight the most. You can see very quick, subtle changes in her expressions that clearly tell you what she's thinking. It is very clear when she is confident, when she is strategizing inside her head. And that legendary moment where she is happily talking to ZWJ and then suddenly sees XZ's hairpin. Golden.

I didnt even watch HSDS 2009. The lightning and the blue color cast is off-putting. Not to mention the slanted angle that 99% of the scenes are in.

I prefer the natural color palette for wuxia dramas like in HSDS, or a little dark but authentic for gongdou like Ruyi, or a little neutral tone like Langyabang. Not into the 7-rainbow palette that dominates Chinese dramas nowadays.

The makeup team did quite a good job here imo. The young actors and actresses look natural and fresh, not doused in heavy makeup and colourful clothes.

Gigi Lai is without doubt pretty, but her costume department in HSDS 2000 makes me wanna facepalm myself.

The producer/writer (heard that the latter is fond of zzr) should not have tried so heavily to make zzr to be a victim of circumstances. E.g. there is frankly no need to make her fainted receiving order from.her teacher.

Compared to other series, i think Xz has very few scenes in this series. They could have shown the part whereby she sewed clothes for zwj.

Anw side track...

https://www.facebook.com/nallee1310/...3105727375654/

Real eagle, real spider, real rabbit, real sheep.

Wow, this production team really loves animals.

Bts before voice dub ng.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCo90Zk7qRY
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmB-Yhzu6KU
    Yukee, Zm's actress have same style acting and expression in other series clips as well.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nQ9B_I-78
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtlxRSTVhVM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyce2Gus8Yo
    Bambi always have the heavy makeup, but her role in heaven is lock to typecast damsel in distress for most of the series. Innocent and naive is her persona traits.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNqq72yM80&t=51s
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgkQ7y1HfhI
    YinLin's actress looked like young instagram model from very limited things she did in her past. Kabby hui is more known for sleazy sexy comedy in Hk. Zm have the best of the bargain and she's given more additional material to capitalize on.

Quote Originally Posted by aniking_8 View Post
    Bts before voice dub ng.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCo90Zk7qRY
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qmB-Yhzu6KU
    Yukee, Zm's actress have same style acting and expression in other series clips as well.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nQ9B_I-78
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtlxRSTVhVM
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyce2Gus8Yo
    Bambi always have the heavy makeup, but her role in heaven is lock to typecast damsel in distress for most of the series. Innocent and naive is her persona traits.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wkNqq72yM80&t=51s
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgkQ7y1HfhI
    YinLin's actress looked like young instagram model from very limited things she did in her past. Kabby hui is more known for sleazy sexy comedy in Hk. Zm have the best of the bargain and she's given more additional material to capitalize on.
    Lol XZ in sleazy sexy comedy. Now that's something.

I'm quite surprised how quiet and serious Yukee is in real life.

Any thought about Joseph Zeng? I always thought he's quite convincing, given how "boring" ZWJ character is written. Heard that he really put a lot of effort into studying the material and somehow impressed the director into casting him for the role.