Thread: The Forgotten Valley - Raymond Wong, Grace Chan, Lau Kong, Louisa So, Gary Chan

Default The Forgotten Valley - Raymond Wong, Grace Chan, Lau Kong, Louisa So, Gary Chan

I am watching The Forgotten Valley which is my first TVB drama after a few years of not watching TVB dramas. The men in this Ping On Guk makes my blood boil . Lau Kong as Luk Gam Kuk is the traditionalist chauvinistic head of the Luk household and village chief of Ping On Guk...I hate him but he's still a somewhat good father to Raymond's Shui Fung.

I must say it's the veteran actors that carry this series. Grace Chan has a lot to learn before she can play lead which is why she's second lead.

I noticed Gary Chan has made a reappearance in acting in this drama, his role is small and only supporting role, so it was almost not noticeable if not for his role as one of the girls' father. How long has it been since he came back? I almost not sure it was him because I remembered him more in his youth in the 90s, but he still looks good though older. What's going on with him and Noel Leung Siu Bing? I thought they had some kind of business outside of showbiz? And of course, the scandals involving Noel a few years ago. Never expected to see him again in a TVB drama.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I am watching The Forgotten Valley which is my first TVB drama after a few years of not watching TVB dramas. The men in this Ping On Guk makes my blood boil . Lau Kong as Luk Gam Kuk is the traditionalist chauvinistic head of the Luk household and village chief of Ping On Guk...I hate him but he's still a somewhat good father to Raymond's Shui Fung.

I must say it's the veteran actors that carry this series. Grace Chan has a lot to learn before she can play lead which is why she's second lead.

I noticed Gary Chan has made a reappearance in acting in this drama, his role is small and only supporting role, so it was almost not noticeable if not for his role as one of the girls' father. How long has it been since he came back? I almost not sure it was him because I remembered him more in his youth in the 90s, but he still looks good though older. What's going on with him and Noel Leung Siu Bing? I thought they had some kind of business outside of showbiz? And of course, the scandals involving Noel a few years ago. Never expected to see him again in a TVB drama.
    I think it is an OK series by TVB judging by the overall quality of their series produced nowadays. Definately watchable but far from perfect.

I think that if the script took the theme more seriously, this series could have a lot of potential but it had to be plagued by comedic moments and happy endings. Grace is more comfortable in this serious that her last few, probably because the spotlight is not all on her and she can learn from the other veterans. I have to say, she does a good chemistry with Raymond, which was evident in their first series together.

Gary has been back for a few years. He did look a bit bloated at first but he seems to have gotten back into shape in the last year.

This series reminds me on "Dance Of Passion" and "The Silver House of Sorrows", but happier and sloppier.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Yes, I read some reviews where people commented that they made it too easy for the men to suddenly come around and accept changes towards the end. Plus there were a lot of loose ends that didn't quite tie up towards the end. TVB is obsessed with happy endings more so now than in the past. I think in the way, way past, endings weren't always happy.

Do you remember Plain Love with Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow and Eddie Cheung? That was a really memorable series. The life and hardships they went through and the longing and hope for them to reunite was bittersweet. I really enjoyed that series.

Any dramas you can recommend me?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-17-18 at 09:14 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

TVB is obsessed with happy endings more so now than in the past. I think in the way, way past, endings weren't always happy.
    TVB was once notorious for its downer endings from the 1970s through the 1990s. The studio has lost its balls, and I think the Chinese takeover in 1997 has much to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    TVB was once notorious for its downer endings from the 1970s through the 1990s. The studio has lost its balls, and I think the Chinese takeover in 1997 has much to do with it.
    I'm not sure about that Ken. I've watched some Mainland dramas and their endings don't always end on a happy note.

Yes, I read some reviews where people commented that they made it too easy for the men to suddenly come around and accept changes towards the end. Plus there were a lot of loose ends that didn't quite tie up towards the end. TVB is obsessed with happy endings more so now than in the past. I think in the way, way past, endings weren't always happy.

Do you remember Plain Love with Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow and Eddie Cheung? That was a really memorable series. The life and hardships they went through and the longing and hope for them to reunite was bittersweet. I really enjoyed that series.

Any dramas you can recommend me?
    If in the similar genre of period drams, I quite like "Dance of Passion", "Plain Love 1+2" and "Country Spirit" which all had serious plotlines.

I think that HK people now complain of stress and cannot take sad endings. I think the taste of the audience influences the productions. Sometimes a series needs to have a sad but touching ending to make it stick in the mind. So many good series gets ruined by a crappy ending.

In terms of newer TVb drams, there is nothing that I have taken any interest in. But I am interested in "Heaven's Will" which sounds likes a serious plot. But who knows what TVB will do.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Do you guys recommend this series? I read that it had good ratings and that it rated higher than some of the anniversary drama's. Haven't watch TVB in a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    Do you guys recommend this series? I read that it had good ratings and that it rated higher than some of the anniversary drama's. Haven't watch TVB in a while now.
    Yeah watch it, but the plot starts to waver about two-thirds into the plot. I think the problem is that TVB does not want a tragic ending but sometimes, the happy endings where are is forgiven is not realistic and it does not make sense. I would have been better if a certain character died or was severly injured and repented his crimes, instead of just being let off with a ungenuine sorry. I mean, "Dance of Passion" needed a tragic ending and it worked fine because there was no way all that hurt could have been resolved without some destruction. TFV could have been better and it had potential, but TVB ruined the ending.

Go and watch "Succession War". It is doing great up to ep 7 and much better than the other sequel to BTROC.
    Cyril Connolly