Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old movies

Default Old movies

Here is a thread to talk about old movies.

I personally have an attraction to old-style hopping vampire movies or where a group of funny people are trapped to fight a ghost/demon before it breaks out. I dislike pure horror movies.

Some of my favourites are:
    (1) Mr Vampire series (with Lam Ching Ying)
    (2) Mortuary Blues (with Sandra Ng, Corey Yuen. Alex To, etc...)
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

For old movies, I like those wuxia sort. One which I can think of is Shaolin 36 chambers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_36...ber_of_Shaolin

I love those Shaw Brothers wuxia movies with Derek Yee, Fu Sheng, Ching Li, Yue Wah, Ti Lung etc.. is extremely entertaining to see some of our current stalwart veterans in their young days.

The 80s and 90s horror comedies were definitely an experience to savour, even for my non-Chinese friends. The Hui brothers and Stephen Chow movies also produced some really good gems. I especially love comedies which use a lot of Chinese literary jokes such as Stephen's "flirting scholar". I also found this recently on Youtube - Mandarin just cannot compare to Cantonese when it comes to comedy. It's on Facebook, but you can get the entire movie (just not this scene stand alone) on Youtube.

https://www.facebook.com/laughsometh...1/?pnref=story

I like all the 80s and 90s comedy, so funny. Really like the black rose movie with Carina lau and veronica yip. So funny.

I like most of the Bridgette lin series. Also like movies Lam ching ying is in. Like those old vampire movies.

I think Stephen chow movies in the 90s were good, pretty funny. I also enjoy some of Jackie chan's movie like city hunter. So funny and had a very good cast.

I posted this question a few years back but no one was able to help. Trying my luck again!

"A great martial artist, Shangguan Zheng sets out on a journey around wulin with his daughter and 3 disciples to challenge other masters for the title of 江南拳王. One of his opponents, Sha Zhentian, is killed after the duel by an unknown assassin, and everyone blames Shangguan because when they arrived he was standing over Sha's dead body, having fought off the assassin. Sha's son, Shaoying, knowing his dad was killed, but not knowing by who (his family didn't want him going out and getting himself killed before he was ready) leaves home and searches for a master to train under, finally finding Shangguan. After watching and following Shangguan's group for a while, he is finally accepted when he correctly guesses why Shangguan's last opponent lost the fight (weapons master who could use all weapons was master of none). Shaoying gets bullied a lot by his 3 martial brothers, but works very hard and finally earns their respect when he wins the last fight which Shangguan needed to win to get the title of 江南拳王. Shangguan had a cold, so the other master proposed that they send 3 disciples out for a best of 3 fight. The decider was won by Shaoying (who actually took on all three enemies at once).

Heading home, he is horrified to learn from his relatives that the person he needs to seek revenge on is Shangguan himself. He recalls meeting an old man who once told him "if you someday need another master, look me up". He meets up with another secretive master who teaches Shaoying the "last three moves of Baiwei" to counter Shangguan's "Nine moves of Baiwei". Shaoying challenges Shangguan and wins, although he hasn't got the heart to kill him.

The secretive master arrives and reveals that he is Shangguan's old martial brother Gu Yingfeng who poisoned their master, stole the last three pages of the Baiwei manual from Shangguan, and also murdered Sha Zhentian to frame Shangguan. A tired Shaoying attempts to fight Gu but is no match, until Shangguan recalls that his teacher once taught him that Baiwei moves counter each other. By watching the fight, he prompts Shaoying to use three of the nine moves which directly and spectacularly counter Gu's three moves, ending with Shaoying killing Gu with a very very painful kick between his legs. Everyone lives happily ever after.

I can picture the faces, the fights, the names, the music, but have no clue what the movie is called, and it's driving me nuts!! "

Fingers crossed!!

Ian, Try seven grandmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Ian, Try seven grandmasters.
    Thank you!!! That's the one!

Although I need to find the Cantonese version somewhere - not used to the English dub. What a mouthful of a Chinese name, though.. "虎豹龍蛇鷹絕拳"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Thank you!!! That's the one!

Although I need to find the Cantonese version somewhere - not used to the English dub. What a mouthful of a Chinese name, though.. "虎豹龍蛇鷹絕拳"
    The english dubs are hilarious. Why don't you try on tudou or youku?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

The english dubs are hilarious. Why don't you try on tudou or youku?
    I know - they are so ham and over the top, yet somehow fit the feel of the story. I watched a couple of English dub movies in the old days and enjoyed them both. One was "The Silver Spear" which was based on "Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear" with quite a few modifications at the end. I can't remember the name of the second - maybe you'd know it too?

Years ago, a man was delivering his young master through some woods when three men attacked him by mistake and crippled him. The leader blinded himself in penance and raised the child as his grandson, while the other two put themselves through torture over the years because they couldn't live with the guilt. Years later, the crippled man has recovered, and visits the two suffering men. Both recognise him, are relieved to see him, and commit suicide as he watches emotionless.

Along the way there is some story about some evil gangs causing trouble with one big baddy, but the old blind man is a martial arts expert, and raised the child as a fighter too. Eventually they clash with the bad guys, until the cripple arrives at the blind man's house too, and the blind man tells the boy the truth about his identity, and wants to commit suicide but the boy stops him and begs his crippled uncle to forgive the past, which he does. They they have a final showdown with the bad guys, or something like that. My memories of this show are much more hazy than those of Seven Grandmasters!

Still can't find the Cantonese version, but found the Mandarin version. For those who haven't seen it yet, do give it a go. It's 90 minutes well spent, and is much better and spectacular than I remembered. The martial arts is extremely entertaining, and the different styles of the seven grandmasters Shangguan Zheng faces is definitely eye-opening.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjk5Mz...rom=s1.8-3-1.2

Sorry, Ian Liew. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that film is.

I liked wacky kungfu movies like "My Young Auntie" which is hilarious, but I have only seen it in Mandarin where the Cantonese jokes don't really work. Kara Hui was really pretty and cute as the young woman who married a man with a higher family status.
    Cyril Connolly

ahh never heard of that movie, sounds interesting...

Do you guys know this one ghost movie with gigi lai (I think she was in it), in the beginning I think the friends are playing something and one of them sees a ghost by the doorway, then one by one they each die. As to why the ghost was killing them, I dont' know why. But they eventually find out that the lady was murder and her body was just bury. That's all I can remember about the movie. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    ahh never heard of that movie, sounds interesting...

Do you guys know this one ghost movie with gigi lai (I think she was in it), in the beginning I think the friends are playing something and one of them sees a ghost by the doorway, then one by one they each die. As to why the ghost was killing them, I dont' know why. But they eventually find out that the lady was murder and her body was just bury. That's all I can remember about the movie. Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure it wasn't "A Wicked Ghost"? Francis Ng was in it as well. Francis liked Gigi but Gigi liked someone else. They played this stupid game where they were burning some part of a dead body and then the ghost started to haunt them. But the lady was killed many years before in a tragic way cos she married a jerk. It was a horrible movie IMO, even for a low-budget movie. The shots and colour were terrible.
    Cyril Connolly

ah yes thank you, that's the one. I watch it back then and the lady always scared me. In some ways the lady with the long hair kind of reminded me of the girl from the ring. I don't remember much, so will watch it later. Was it really that bad?
    But thanks again for all your help =)

I found my second movie. Secret of Shaolin Kungfu, or "蝴蝶十八式"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKgqMBSDtqU

Just so happened I remembered the hero's name was Wu Hanwei, and Google did the rest. Funnily enough, the hero is again Li Yimin, who was the hero in Seven Grandmasters.

Wow old movies...I liked so many of them, mostly from Hong Kong since they were just more accessible.

I adored the old Shaw Brothers films, some of them are just so good. Ofcourse I tend to prefer the Female lead ones then the male ones, like Golden Sparrow, The Female Assassin, 12 Amazons and Ambitious Kung Fu girl (was more of a comedy then kung fu).

I mainly like martial arts films so I enjoyed the kung fu era, to the wire fu era but stopped watching when they moved into the wind fu era (where they stand meters apart and blow wind at each other...think Storm Riders).

I loved all the Vampire series, even the musical one because it was so random.

Not really a fan of straight horror either, mainly because I have a high tolerance for horror so I don't scare easily. I found Ringu very basic, there was some jump scares but nothing truly terrifying. My sister with her hair out scared me more.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Who remembers the action cop movies that came out in the 80's to 90's? Cynthia Khan in 'In the Line of Duty", Jackie Chan with his "Police Story" and even Danny Lee Sau Yin had his own line of cop movies! "Tiger Cage" series was so-so in my opinion, but the fights were nice. I thought that they were classics! There is too much triad glorification in the new movies out nowadays.
    Cyril Connolly

Does anyone know the name of the movie which has Alex Man and Joey Wong as a couple? Joey supposedly kills Alex, and is shocked to find that he appears at home perfectly fine the next day. Apparently the new Alex is a lookalike who is trying to investigate how the first Alex died. Eventually, it is discovered that the old Alex was actually killed by his driver (and was already dead when Joey pushed his car off the cliff), and he had cooked part of him and served it to Joey...

Who remembers the action cop movies that came out in the 80's to 90's? Cynthia Khan in 'In the Line of Duty", Jackie Chan with his "Police Story" and even Danny Lee Sau Yin had his own line of cop movies! "Tiger Cage" series was so-so in my opinion, but the fights were nice. I thought that they were classics! There is too much triad glorification in the new movies out nowadays.
    ahh yes Danny Lee and cop movies. I remember on tv, Helen Law lan said i'm just going to call you "lee sir" cannot remember what program they were hosting.... I like Jackie Chan with his police story.