Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TVB wuxia series made available on YouTube

Err yes that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I watched an ATV serial which starred him as the main character, a rip-off of TVB's Blood-Stained Intrigue. It was a really nice serial, let down only by Nixon's main hero. My guess is his career in ATV fared no better than his career in TVB. He should have tried modern serials as a supporting character first.
    I can't understand what TVB and/or ATV were thinking putting him in leading roles before he had proven he was ready to handle it. For TVB's other young actors, they usually spend years proving themselves in minor roles before they're given a lead...and I'm talking about stalwarts such as Chow Yun Fat, Simon Yam, Andy Lau, and Tony Leung. None of those guys got a lead role before having first proved himself as a bit actor over the course of several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    According to HKMDB, BOOK & SWORD '88 is the only acting credit Nixon Pang has to his name. The poor guy's acting career was a total washout.
    According to Wikipedia, he was in 5 TVB series and 7 ATV series.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I watched an ATV serial which starred him as the main character, a rip-off of TVB's Blood-Stained Intrigue. It was a really nice serial, let down only by Nixon's main hero. My guess is his career in ATV fared no better than his career in TVB. He should have tried modern serials as a supporting character first.
    You are probably thinking of ATV's 1989 天劍絕刀 (Tien Jian Jue Dao/Tin Gim Juet Do)? Actually, it was TVB's Blood-Stained Intrigue (神劍魔刀) that is the blatant rip-off of Wolong Sheng's novel 天劍絕刀 (Heavenly Sword Supreme Sabre), published in 1964. All the names are changed, but the basic plot is still there. The more fantastical elements (e.g. the blue-glowing sabre that turns people into homicidal maniacs, the sister who learnt evil Daoist magic, the walking corpses etc.) were added by TVB.

Presumably ATV's version is an adaptation of the original novel, but I have not watched it, so I have no idea how faithful it is to the original material.

I would not mind seeing "The Black Sabre" again. Love Hugo and Eddie!

"Against The Blade of Honour" has a very slow plot that is not to my taste. I initially enjoyed "The Return of LSF" but it really gets bad towards the end and LSF doesn't seem like the main character anymore. I hope they show the original LSF series with Damian, Adam, Wong Yuen Shen, and Wong Wan Choi.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

They definitely need to put the Damian Lau version of LSF up. Would be pretty awesome if they could also put up the Romantic Swordsman 1978, what a memorable theme song.

Nice, they just uploaded the '95 version of ROCH.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    You are probably thinking of ATV's 1989 天劍絕刀 (Tien Jian Jue Dao/Tin Gim Juet Do)? Actually, it was TVB's Blood-Stained Intrigue (神劍魔刀) that is the blatant rip-off of Wolong Sheng's novel 天劍絕刀 (Heavenly Sword Supreme Sabre), published in 1964. All the names are changed, but the basic plot is still there. The more fantastical elements (e.g. the blue-glowing sabre that turns people into homicidal maniacs, the sister who learnt evil Daoist magic, the walking corpses etc.) were added by TVB.

Presumably ATV's version is an adaptation of the original novel, but I have not watched it, so I have no idea how faithful it is to the original material.
    The ATV version had a sister (but no older brother iirc) but she didn't have all those walking zombies around her. The plot was also somewhat nicer and cleaner, other than the main bad guy being able to hold his breath to cross the ravine himself. The basic plot kind of changes halfway through - and the main heroines are nothing like those in TVB's version. His main love interest was this blind girl (who had a mute sister, and she communicated by writing on her sister's palm), and apart from Nixon's performance, I recall really enjoying the serial.

And… for you who want this :
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    And… for you who want this :
    I was hoping for this

My favorite series. I think it's the only one where I actually rewatch all 40 episodes. Think I watched it about a year ago, so I'll wait a bit before I go at it again.

I lied guys, already on episode 2.

Even though these series aren't 4K, they're very enjoyable viewed on my phone.

Well, I once almost bought the DVD :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ws1.sinaimg.cn/large/006ppZOPgy1fm6cepxqylj30dy0js766.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    My favorite series. I think it's the only one where I actually rewatch all 40 episodes. Think I watched it about a year ago, so I'll wait a bit before I go at it again.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

The most tragic thing about watching this followed by Return of Luk Siu Fung is seeing how the poor trio of girls got relegated to such small roles after this. Lau Miu Ling (Tim Yee) was drop-dead gorgeous, and while her acting wasn't great, there was always room for improvement. It was obvious that she had either martial arts training or dance background, as she handled a sword rather well in Return of Luk Siu Fung, as one of the two (drop-dead gorgeous) Raksha Heralds, but sadly her role was almost silent. Chi Pui Fan (Hong Zhao) had a lot of charisma and energy, and had this aura of likeability about her, even if she wasn't outstandingly beautiful - she ends up being a maid in Fa Mun Lau's family, with very few lines. Lui Ching Hong (Yong Yong) was probably the only one who had a decent speaking role in Return of Luk Siu Fung, but even then her role of Siu Lei was smaller than in here, and she would fade away just like the other two. It's sad that New Adventures would prove to be their biggest roles, but arguably not their best performance. I guess TVB just had too much talent in the 80s.

Of course, no matter how sorry I feel for the three of them, the largest sympathy has to be reserved for Chan Wing Chun (Hu Tipfa). At least he persevered for many more years, but what a fall from grace. His role of Fong Yuk Fei wasn't too small in Return of Luk Siu Fung, but kind of pigeonholed him into playing slimy villains for the rest of his young career.

Yeah quite surprised Hu wasn't a more prominent actor; he was pretty great in this series.

anyone remember chan wing chun in this karaoke vid? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-OVVvi6PWM
    nostalgic for wuxiasociety? http://wuxiasociety.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Yeah quite surprised Hu wasn't a more prominent actor; he was pretty great in this series.
    Going by some of the stories we hear about TVB these days, Chan probably offended someone in management and got sidelined...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    TVB Anywhere has made many TVB wuxia series available for free on YouTube. Many of the Jinyong classics of the 80s/90s (including LOCH, ROCH, SPW, DOMD etc.) are available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCca...MLRlXb78aGx-Q/ while more recent kung-fu series are available here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVBEuropeOfficial. TVB Anywhere is TVB's official overseas streaming service, and as such is completely legal to watch.
    It's a shame they don't have English subtitles. Sigh

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Just finished 楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇, it is amazing how good this series was.

My favourite thing about it was the amount of attention they gave to the character Yuen Chui-wan. He was every bit the equal to Chor Lau-heung and his death scene was a master-stroke, giving the most satisfying final curtain for such an epic character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Just finished 楚留香之蝙蝠傳奇, it is amazing how good this series was.

My favourite thing about it was the amount of attention they gave to the character Yuen Chui-wan. He was every bit the equal to Chor Lau-heung and his death scene was a master-stroke, giving the most satisfying final curtain for such an epic character.
    They handled the deaths of a bunch of characters really well imo. Like his second brother who comes back to assassinate the Jin family, and Chor lectures him on nobody being able to force you to do something you don't intend to, and then he immediately gets forced into killing him without wanting to! I really enjoyed that scene.

Glad there was nothing drawn out or life saving about Yi Dian Hong either; he just exits gracefully after he [thinks] finished his business and repents with his death.

And Simon Yam as the Bat Prince both him as an actor and the character itself was great. I never really hear anything mentioned about it though so I guess it may be a bit more forgettable to most people.