Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TVB wuxia series made available on YouTube

Default TVB wuxia series made available on YouTube

TVB Anywhere has made many TVB wuxia series available for free on YouTube. Many of the Jinyong classics of the 80s/90s (including LOCH, ROCH, SPW, DOMD etc.) are available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCca...MLRlXb78aGx-Q/ while more recent kung-fu series are available here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVBEuropeOfficial. TVB Anywhere is TVB's official overseas streaming service, and as such is completely legal to watch.
    Last edited by Doc Kwok; 03-17-18 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    TVB Anywhere has made many TVB wuxia series available for free on YouTube. Many of the Jinyong classics of the 80s/90s (including LOCH, ROCH, SPW, DOMD etc.) are available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCca...MLRlXb78aGx-Q/ while more recent kung-fu series are available here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TVBEuropeOfficial. TVB Anywhere is TVB's official overseas streaming service, and as such is completely legal to watch.
    Thanks! I see they have Ray Looi's Flying Fox there, which is the one I really wanted to watch. It's not available in my country, though, so I probably need a VPN...

I've just tried with a VPN, and you need to set it to somewhere in Europe even for the first one. Hong Kong doesn't work.
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 03-19-18 at 02:23 AM.

cool. some of them have english subtitle

Thanks for the share, but not available in my country

From their 'about' page: (本服務現不適用於中國大陸、馬來西亞、新加坡、台灣、美國和越南) (Service is currently not available in China, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, USA and Vietnam) So I guess Youtube are enforcing the regions that they may be viewed in.

all of those countries are high chinese drama viewer, looks like they just push to less favorite country

I'm hoping they'll make the 1986 RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG series available; that one was never issued on VCD or DVD.

You can watch it if you use a VPN, but yeah, Youtube drains your free quotas quite a bit unless you pay for the VPN.

Hmm... I was just browsing through HSDS 2000 on YouTube, when I noticed that they made a blunder from the very start. At the very beginning, they had some guy swinging the sabre around making huge CGI waves in the ocean, and the narrator recited the famous saying. Trouble is, he gets it wrong! He says '敢不從' (who dares to disobey) - it should be '敢不從' (no one dares to disobey). The intent is more or less the same I suppose, but is weaker by making it a rhetorical question. I believe the repeated word and sentence structure also makes for bad literary form.

I don't know if it is consistent (watched it when it first came out, have no real desire to do so again), but Zhang Cuishan's wall carvings in the opening also have the error (didn't the script-writer and/or director refer to the original work at all?). Funnily enough, I remember the same mistake being made in HSDS 86 by Yin Susu, but they usually got it right.

HSDS 2000
    A couple of years ago, I was curious how Lawrence Ng's portrayal was… ended up watching most of the scenes Gigi Lai was in. Soon, I'll give it a test to whether I find her portrayal still an enjoyable watch.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    A couple of years ago, I was curious how Lawrence Ng's portrayal was… ended up watching most of the scenes Gigi Lai was in. Soon, I'll give it a test to whether I find her portrayal still an enjoyable watch.
    Gigi Lai pretty much stole the show, iirc. Lawrence was a bit too old, but a good enough actor that role wasn't irritating or anything. Charmaine Sheh had one of her few antagonist roles (which really suit her evil eyes, but sadly TVB insist on casting her in angelic roles), while Damian and Michelle were obviously top class. The upload has been at 7 episodes for over a week now, so hopefully they finish the whole series. I was pleasantly surprised they uploaded this, LOCH 94 and Crimson Sabre when there were other far more iconic 80s wuxia serials they could have put up instead - those have been rehashed so many times while the 90s serials are incredibly hard to find.

That "Playlist" haven't been updated… In truth, 2 new episodes are uploaded per day (7 remaining) youtube.com/channel/UCcadjKOwi1MLRlXb78aGx-Q/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Gigi Lai pretty much stole the show, iirc. Lawrence was a bit too old, but a good enough actor that role wasn't irritating or anything. Charmaine Sheh had one of her few antagonist roles (which really suit her evil eyes, but sadly TVB insist on casting her in angelic roles), while Damian and Michelle were obviously top class. The upload has been at 7 episodes for over a week now, so hopefully they finish the whole series. I was pleasantly surprised they uploaded this, LOCH 94 and Crimson Sabre when there were other far more iconic 80s wuxia serials they could have put up instead - those have been rehashed so many times while the 90s serials are incredibly hard to find.
    A brief question, visually as Chiu Man, neither Gigi Lai nor Kitty Lai "dressed as a man" were truly convincing ?
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

Quote Originally Posted by 徐中銳 View Post
    That "Playlist" haven't been updated… In truth, 2 new episodes are uploaded per day (7 remaining) youtube.com/channel/UCcadjKOwi1MLRlXb78aGx-Q/videos

A brief question, visually as Chiu Man, neither Gigi Lai nor Kitty Lai "dressed as a man" were truly convincing ?
    I don't think any Zhao Min looked convincing as a man, same goes with Lisa Wang and Ady An. Perhaps if it wasn't such a pretty girl, and it was someone I'd never seen before, I might be fooled, but I think in general it's really hard to not tell a character's gender on screen. Maybe in real life it'd be a bit different, because the girl doesn't have to look attractive at the same time.

Which is what made Mao Weitao's Dongfang Bubai so disturbing in XAJH 2001 - none of us could tell whether it was a male or female actor playing the role!

I've looked it up :
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bxeTSWog_sE/hqdefault.jpg')

Its caption…

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Mao Weitao's Dongfang Bubai so disturbing in XAJH 2001 - none of us could tell whether it was a male or female actor playing the role!

Hmm... I was just browsing through HSDS 2000 on YouTube, when I noticed that they made a blunder from the very start. At the very beginning, they had some guy swinging the sabre around making huge CGI waves in the ocean, and the narrator recited the famous saying. Trouble is, he gets it wrong! He says '敢不從' (who dares to disobey) - it should be '敢不從' (no one dares to disobey). The intent is more or less the same I suppose, but is weaker by making it a rhetorical question. I believe the repeated word and sentence structure also makes for bad literary form.

I don't know if it is consistent (watched it when it first came out, have no real desire to do so again), but Zhang Cuishan's wall carvings in the opening also have the error (didn't the script-writer and/or director refer to the original work at all?). Funnily enough, I remember the same mistake being made in HSDS 86 by Yin Susu, but they usually got it right.
    Thanks for the link, childhood memories!

I skipped to the Brightness Peak fight as I usually do with HSDS before watching the actual series, and it's amusing that almost every fight they get accurate to the novel, HSDS '86 is inaccurate and vice versa!

Examples:

When Yin Tianzheng is fighting the Wudang brothers in '86, it's accurately shown he's wounded by the 7th Hero and then fights with just stances with the eldest Hero. In '00, he just gets stabbed by the eldest hero.

Against the Kongtong elders, in '86 he doesn't even fight them and in '00 he demonstrates his superiority and heals the elder.

Against Shaolin, in '86 he copies and defeats Kong Xing with the dragon claws, while in '00 three monks just jump at him and fight.

Against the He Taichong couple, in '86 he just fights He with a few disciples while in '00 they are correctly joined by the reverse formation couple and he makes them stab each other.

And lastly his fight with Song Qingshu, in '00 he fights him in the beginning before wounded and is generically blowing things up while in '86 he fights him wounded and uses his own power against him.

It seems too coincidental that the fights are completely wrong in one and right in the other, so I guess they just wanted to make sure the fights were different? Seems kind of silly when it's 15 years later with new special effects since they could just make it completely accurate and make the fights look better!

HSDS 79 did the Yin Tianzheng fight the best, with him taking on the Kongdong elders after being completely exhausted from the internal clash with Song Yuanqiao. It showed how he broke the leg of the nasty elder (whose name I forget), only to be beaten by Zong Weixia who kicked a rock at him. I'm not sure if the two elders in '86 were actually named, but in '00 Lei Hoisang played Tang Wenliang (the lone elder of Kongdong), and Zong Weixia was supposedly killed by Xie Xun earlier on when he stole the Seven Wounding Fists from Kongdong.

The fight with Shaolin was very unsatisfying, as without the whole Dragon Claws episode, it's hard to understand why Abbot Kong Wen would be so kindly to Zhang Wuji after the fight. Tang Wenliang's friendliness is understandable, as Wuji heals him (the way he heals Zong Weixia in the novel). The Kunlun/Huashan pairing is also not that accurate (although much better than the '86 version). Chunyu Tong was not one of the two Huashan Elders with the Reverse Liangyi Saber skills - he was supposed to have his own duel where he ambushes Wuji with a concealed dart and shows how scummy he is (athough I don't believe any adaptation has dealt with how he caused the death of Hu Qingniu's sister). Wasn't there also supposed a Kun Lun disciple Xihuazi trapped in the middle of the fight, and who Wuji ended up protecting when both Kun Lun and Huashan were happy to kill him as collateral damage? I'm not sure if that was in the novel....

Where is the like button? Thanks Doc!

Having been to HK several times recently, I can't help but notice familiarity in the filming locations. It's distracting!

Now if they would unearth those low-budget 80s Taiwanese adaptions I grew up with, that would be kind of awesome. I would need to watch them in a about-to-be-demolished building to revive the magic...
    Last edited by PJ; 04-27-18 at 02:26 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I'm hoping they'll make the 1986 RETURN OF LUK SIU FUNG series available; that one was never issued on VCD or DVD.
    That series is considered much more classic than most of the 90s ones uploaded (though not on the level of many other 80s ones) and I've been able to find uncut high quality ones on various sites throughout the years. Something like LOCH '94 was a huge pain to find.

Woah!

I watched LOCH '94 as a kid from rented tapes in Chinatown and was randomly watching the scenes I liked most, and apparently there must be uncut scenes?!

After Yang Tiexin commits suicide and Qiu Chuji admits defeat, the version I watched (dozens of times!) cuts to them talking to Mu Nianci but in this complete clip there is a ~5 second where they are all paying respects to Yang Tiexin's grave. This was before dvds and such, so it's strange to me how these scenes were recorded but were cut for no real reason. Crazy!

This must be true for a ton of a series?!
    Last edited by tape; 04-29-18 at 04:53 AM.

I just completed FFSM 85 - it was really good. Margie Tsang looked so cute and innocent back then. Given how Helena Law freaked me out completely yet again in her completely human role, I think my plans to try out the TV mystery channel and some of those ghost serials are best left till another day...