Thread: Online Shopping

Default Online Shopping

How do you feel about online shopping? Seems like more and more businesses are struggling or going out of business. A friend was just telling me she saw a documentary about how way back in the days, everything was behind the counter, you told the clerk what you want and they just gave you everything. People were excited when the first department store open because you actually got to see and feel the item. Do you guys do all your shopping online or just certain items?

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    How do you feel about online shopping? Seems like more and more businesses are struggling or going out of business. A friend was just telling me she saw a documentary about how way back in the days, everything was behind the counter, you told the clerk what you want and they just gave you everything. People were excited when the first department store open because you actually got to see and feel the item. Do you guys do all your shopping online or just certain items?
    Hi! Long time no see!

I prefer going to the shops for shopping as I can examine the products and ask questions then and there before buying. I am not opposed to internet shopping, but I only restrict myself to buying things that I cannot get at a shop, like things from overseas.

I just feel that all you get is a picture to go by when buying stuff online. You don't get to see it from different angles, touch it and feel its weight, smell it (I hate certain fragrances and plastic smells), and try it out. If you are buying stuff like clothes, how it looks on a model can look very different when it is on you.

And I like the interaction when chatting with store staff or when I am in the store with a companion. And i like the exercise.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Call me a dinosaur. To-date I have not bought any product from on-line shopping. Though I have booked hotel stays/airline tickets on-line.

I am sure that the online shopping has created a lot of jobs like couriers, website designers and packers. But I am just worried that the money will just go the overseas countries with cheap labour, and not help our domestic workers keep their jobs. If more people around us lose their jobs, then the stress if on us to pay more taxes to cover what they can't.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I'm sure online business do create jobs but some of the older folks may lose their jobs at department stores.

I guess it really depends on what your buying. Some stuff like rubber gasket, its really hard for me to find in store so I have to search online. But for other things like toilet paper and lotion, I try to go to the store so that it helps out the business.

I'm ok with online shopping. I only shop online for items I can't find at a brick and mortar. I want things instantly if possible.

What online site do you guys use? Lately, I see apps like let go, mercari, wish, etc
    Last edited by Nan Ling; 06-07-18 at 02:33 AM.

I am currently trying to buy a certain DVD. You cannot believe how hard it is to find it in an actual shop. I have tried for two weeks at four major shopping centres. I will try the last store nearby after work on Friday and then head online. At least I tried.
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    I am currently trying to buy a certain DVD. You cannot believe how hard it is to find it in an actual shop. I have tried for two weeks at four major shopping centres. I will try the last store nearby after work on Friday and then head online. At least I tried.
    late response but I hope you were able to find the dvd you were looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    late response but I hope you were able to find the dvd you were looking for.
    Hi! I didn't. They won't sell it online either. They want me to join Netflix or Stan. DVDs are going extinct soon.
    Cyril Connolly

What movie are you trying to find? Yeh, more and more movies/series are online streaming now.

, ?