Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Why Sun Bu'er was allowed to join Quanzhen sect?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    269

    Default Why Sun Bu'er was allowed to join Quanzhen sect?

    in Jin Yong's novel,
    Quanzhen sect forbid women to join their sect , they have strict rules regarding this , but Sun Bu'er as we know is one of the 7 master (cheng yaojia was exceptional , as she was not priest nor join quanzhen).
    so what is the reason behind this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    in Jin Yong's novel,
    Quanzhen sect forbid women to join their sect , they have strict rules regarding this , but Sun Bu'er as we know is one of the 7 master (cheng yaojia was exceptional , as she was not priest nor join quanzhen).
    so what is the reason behind this?
    Not sure about what JY say. Based on my limited understanding, Quanzhen is a branch of taoism. And Taoism do have lay women followers.

  3. #3
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,391

    Default

    Ma Yuk and Sheun But Yee were a married couple before they met Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung. Apparently, the couple was very wealthy in their pre-Taoist lives, and the founding of the Cheun Jen Sect depended heavily on their monetary contribution. In light of their contribution, Wong Chung Yeung could hardly refuse her.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    269

    Default

    so it's mean that Sun Bu'er received "special treatment" ? only her?

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    so it's mean that Sun Bu'er received "special treatment" ? only her?
    Only her. She was one of the founders, after all.

    Besides, it's not like there were lines of women waiting to join the Cheun Jen Sect.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,927

    Default

    Isn't Cheng Yaojia a Quanzhen disciple too?
    So, it should be no issue of women wanting to be in Quanzhen.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    in Jin Yong's novel,
    Quanzhen sect forbid women to join their sect , they have strict rules regarding this , but Sun Bu'er as we know is one of the 7 master (cheng yaojia was exceptional , as she was not priest nor join quanzhen).
    so what is the reason behind this?
    JY needed a petty women to make young YG's life harder to cater to the mainly male fan base.

    OK, OK. Seriously. Sun Bu'Er was a real life highly regarded Taoist. Since the QZ school Jy wrote about and the QZ 7 were based on the real historical QZ 7, and Sun Bu'Er was one of them (in history), it is right to include her.
    Last edited by CC; 05-02-18 at 11:31 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Isn't Cheng Yaojia a Quanzhen disciple too?
    So, it should be no issue of women wanting to be in Quanzhen.
    Ching Yiu Ga was a lay disciple, trained at home rather than at the Chung Yeung Temple, so that probably rendered it a nonissue.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    269

    Default

    yes, Cheng Yaojia/Ching Yiu Ga is sun bu'er's disciple but not quanzhen sect's disciple, similar to Qiu Chuji and Yang Kang

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    JY needed a petty women to make young YG's life harder to cater to the mainly male fan base.

    OK, OK. Seriously. Sun Bu'Er was a real life highly regarded Taoist. Since the QZ school Jy wrote about and the QZ 7 were based on the real historical QZ 7, and Sun Bu'Er was one of them (in history), it is right to include her.
    What? highly regarded Taoist? They are a bunch of useless hypocrites.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    yes, Cheng Yaojia/Ching Yiu Ga is sun bu'er's disciple but not quanzhen sect's disciple, similar to Qiu Chuji and Yang Kang
    Wiki did put Cheng Yaojia under Quanzhen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oes_characters. Of course, it can be wrong.

    With regard to YK, I think he never acknowledge himself to be under Quanzhen.

Similar Threads

  1. Sun Moon Sect and Ming Sect Connections
    By bliss in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-28-08, 05:35 PM
  2. Quanzhen Sect
    By odbayarb2000 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-07, 07:04 AM
  3. The 7 Disciples Of Quanzhen Sect
    By TommyH in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-04-06, 03:28 AM
  4. Quanzhen sect - Big Dipper Formation
    By Stance in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-04, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •