Thread: 筆下無情?For translantions…

Default 筆下無情?For translations…

I recently searched for the original text to a chapter within 大唐雙龍傳,reading the phrase「刀下無情」made me wonder…

Well, you who too can read Chinese, what English would you use to best approximate its meaning ?

And, say, if the wielder of the blade has (perfect) control, 刀下有情嗎?

Truly, if you can't read Chinese—you're missing out… Will you ever start learning ? Se non ora, quando?

Last year, I began giving time to studying through Cantonese lyrics.

Translations, I believe they should be as accurate as possible to the author's words and intent. Thus, 筆下無情?

Rather than issuing-a-challenge, here's an invitation to any member wishing to explain and discuss some Chinese text from a 武俠小說。
    Myself, to start, I am fascinated by the word「情」in stories. Primarily, I take it to mean « feeling, sentiment, emotion » above (simply) resorting to it meaning « love ».

Unsentimental

Last edited by 徐中銳; 02-18-19 at 05:31 PM.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫

LOL, I don't know what this barking dog is saying as he's blocked, but clearly nobody gives a crap about him judging from the lack of responses.

Also, it's funny that a word-nazi can't spell TRANSLATIONS.

You've probably already read Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword (多情剑客无情剑), but if you haven't, it's all about emotions! It's even right in the title, juxtaposing 多情 and 无情.

The idea, at least in this case, is that even though weapons can kill without remorse, the people wielding them are still ultimately human (and thus fallible and often bound and conflicted by their emotions).

Li Xunhuan, the main character and a tragic hero, illustrates this. And actually, I would say that the title refers more to the characters Ah Fei and Jing Wuming. It's interesting to see how they develop throughout the novel.

Sentimental feelings and ruthlessness are brought up several times, but here's one excerpt in particular (where Ah Fei falls in love with a villainess):
    Ah Fei’s hand is already on his sword.

Lin Xian Er looked up at him, said, “Please go ahead, I’d be happy to die in your hands.”

Ah Fei could not look at her, instead looking at his sword.

Her eyes filled with emotions, with tenderness, with love, yet also hate… nothing in this world can touch a man’s heart more than her eyes.

A gleam of light appeared in the corner of her eyes. “You’re the person I love the most in this world. If even you don’t believe me, then there’s no reason for me to keep on living.”

Ah Fei held his sword tightly, his fingers became sore.

Lin Xian Er continued, “If you think I’m the Plum Flower Bandit, that I’m a despicable woman, then just go ahead and kill me, I… I won’t blame you.”

Ah Fei’s hand began to shake.

The ruthless sword, the sword is ruthless, but what about people?

How could people have no emotions?

The candlelight went out.

But Lin Xian Er’s beauty is even more noticeable in the darkness.

She did not speak, but in the darkness, even her breathing sound like a soothing voice, capable of warming one’s heart.

Is there anything more powerful than the power of love?

Looking at a woman like this, looking at the strongest emotions he has felt in his entire life, looking at this endless darkness…

How could Ah Fei possibly kill her?

The sword is ruthless! But the swordsman’s sentimental!
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bchin22 View Post
    LOL, I don't know what this barking dog is saying as he's blocked, but clearly nobody gives a crap about him judging from the lack of responses.

Also, it's funny that a word-nazi can't spell TRANSLATIONS.
    What's wrong with you?

I'd like to find time for it : )

Quote Originally Posted by Lianshen View Post
    You've probably already read Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword (多情剑客无情剑), but if you haven't, it's all about emotions! It's even right in the title, juxtaposing 多情 and 无情.

Because my brother is sharing with me his Netflix account, I'm exploring available Chinese content, recently skimming through the series 三生三世十里桃花, finding 杨幂's performance interesting, especially the way, for example, she rages at 31m29s of episode 55 https://youtu.be/SQP-oODGjS4?t=1889 Having read some comments on its original source, I'm tempted to search for the Chinese text to understand…
    Last edited by 徐中銳; 02-18-19 at 06:43 PM.
    « I know more than I can express in words, and the little I can express would not have been expressed, had I not known more. » — 弗拉基米爾·弗拉基米羅維奇·納博科夫