Thread: Five ninja assassins are out to kill you: choose five wulin characters to protect you

Default Five ninja assassins are out to kill you: choose five wulin characters to protect you

Five ninja assassins who are part of a secret society that has never failed in hundreds of assassinations spanning multiple generations across hundreds of years has presently targeted you for a painful, violent death. Needless to say, they are masters of the ninja arts.

However, you have the good fortune of calling upon any five Jin Yong and/or Gu Long characters to protect you from the ninja assassins. Which five wuxia characters do you choose to defend you?

Sweeper Monk, Dugu Qiubai, Yan Nan Tian, Yao Yue and Dragon Girl.

My first choice would be Ouyang Feng. One of the deadliest assassination techniques is to use poison, and his mastery over poisons (to say nothing of the poison panacea he gave Huang Rong) would all but completely neutralize this deadly assassin tool. The fact that he's a grandmaster martial artist is icing on the cake.

My second choice would be Huang Yaoshi. His intelligence aside, his mastery over formations and traps would not only allow the party to break through almost any enemy trap/formation, if we stayed in one place he would himself set up many formations and traps to securely protect us. Once again, the fact that he's a grandmaster martial artist is icing on the cake.

My third choice may be surprising - it is Hua Manlou from the Lu Xiaofeng series. Ninjas operate under cover of darkness and stealth, but this advantage is completely ineffective against the blind Hua Manlou, who was able to sense the likes of even Ximen Chuixue (who was moving completely soundlessly) due to the latter's aura alone! He would be a great 'radar detector'. His martial arts isn't that great, but neutralizing the stealth advantage makes up for it.

My fourth choice is one of my favorite characters - Fu Hongxue. In [Horizon, Brightmoon, Saber] he shows himself to be incredibly adept at spotting and countering assassination attempts. This is because, as he discloses, he spent a total of seven years researching 538 assassinations of highly skilled martial artists who died over the course of three centuries. This knowledge would surely prove to be incredibly useful, and the fact that he is an absolute and complete total badass is just icing on the cake once again.

My final choice may be a surprising one as well - it is Yan Shisan, aka Yan 13. Most people only know that Yan 13 is a badass martial artist, but what many don't realize is that he also has incredible medical skills. When Xie Xiaofeng was poisoned, all the finest physicians around claimed that his illness and his wounds were completely untreatable... but Yan 13 managed to cure him. This means Yan 13 has incredible medical skills, which combined with Huang Yaoshi's mastery of medicines and Ouyang Feng's mastery of toxins should keep me very safe indeed, even if something does get through all those defenses. And of course... less we forget, Yan 13's 'Sword Fifteen' is Death Incarnate. Who better to guard me than Death itself? He is my trump card in the event that the 'assassins' have a truly peerless martial artist by their side. Nothing can stop Yan 13's Sword Fifteen. Nothing!

(note - Zhang Wuji is a possible alternate for Yan Shisan as he's also an incredible physician, but his general chokiness makes me nervous)

Thus, my five are Ouyang Feng, Huang Yaoshi, Hua Manlou, Fu Hongxue, and the one and only Yan Shisan.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 07-18-18 at 05:20 AM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    My third choice may be surprising - it is Hua Manlou from the Lu Xiaofeng series. Ninjas operate under cover of darkness and stealth, but this advantage is completely ineffective against the blind Hua Manlou, who was able to sense the likes of even Ximen Chuixue (who was moving completely soundlessly) due to the latter's aura alone! He would be a great 'radar detector'. His martial arts isn't that great, but neutralizing the stealth advantage makes up for it.
    This is an excellent choice.

For me, I will choose:
    1. Xiao Feng - need someone to "blast" them.
    2. Wang Yu Yuan - so that she can suggest how to counter-act the ninja's moves.
    3. Taiji ZSF (Gu Long) - so that he can protect me in a cocoon.
    4. Dong Fang Bu Bai - for the swift needle skill against the ninja stars
    5. Huang Rong - as she is intelligent and fast learner, she can probably grasp what WYY said in the counter-moves. Remember ninjas are not those with exceptional wuxia skills. So HR will be fine and capable in fighting them. Also, she can cook good food for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    This is an excellent choice.

For me, I will choose:
    1. Xiao Feng - need someone to "blast" them.
    2. Wang Yu Yuan - so that she can suggest how to counter-act the ninja's moves.
    3. Taiji ZSF (Gu Long) - so that he can protect me in a cocoon.
    4. Dong Fang Bu Bai - for the swift needle skill against the ninja stars
    5. Huang Rong - as she is intelligent and fast learner, she can probably grasp what WYY said in the counter-moves. Remember ninjas are not those with exceptional wuxia skills. So HR will be fine and capable in fighting them. Also, she can cook good food for all of us.
    Sorry (3) is wrong. It should be Yun Fei Yang. Realize that as WYY has no kung-fu, she can be killed easily by the ninjas. One way is for her to stay in the "transparent" .cocoon too

I also don't believe that Wong Yu Yin can instantly read and react to a martial arts style with which she has no previous familiarity. Her ability to devise counters depended on her studies of existing and known martial arts systems.

1. Sweeper Monk for ultimate defense and resurrection?
    2. DGQB for ultimate offense
    3. HYS for intelligence and offense
    4. YG for intelligence and offense
    5. XF for offense and leadership

Or
    1. Sweeper monk for defense
    2-4. 3 monks for defense
    5. DGQB for offense

I would pair Qiao/Xiao Feng and Zhang Wuji to form one sub-team of two members that would combine their offensive and defensive skills respectively.

A second sub-team of two members would be the Sweeper Monk and Dugu Qiubai who would combine their defense and offense respectively

Finally Huang Yaoshi would be the captain of my 5-member team for his supreme intelligence and his offensive kung fu skills and defensive skills in formations and traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I also don't believe that Wong Yu Yin can instantly read and react to a martial arts style with which she has no previous familiarity. Her ability to devise counters depended on her studies of existing and known martial arts systems.
    Point accepted. But we do not know whether ninja skills may have been documented then. Though I admit it is unlikely.

I think to have five experts to help you against the ninjas is definitely too many. Shall we use 1 to protect you? If it is one, I will choose
    1. HYS/DY for his qinggong for running away OR
    2. Yun Fei Yang to put me in a "cocoon" so that he can fight against the ninjas OR
    3. Sweeper Monk for total protection and offense.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I would pair Qiao/Xiao Feng and Zhang Wuji to form one sub-team of two members that would combine their offensive and defensive skills respectively.

A second sub-team of two members would be the Sweeper Monk and Dugu Qiubai who would combine their defense and offense respectively

Finally Huang Yaoshi would be the captain of my 5-member team for his supreme intelligence and his offensive kung fu skills and defensive skills in formations and traps.
    Who would you keep closest by your side as the last line of defense if all else fails?

I think to have five experts to help you against the ninjas is definitely too many. Shall we use 1 to protect you? If it is one, I will choose
    1. HYS/DY for his qinggong for running away OR
    2. Yun Fei Yang to put me in a "cocoon" so that he can fight against the ninjas OR
    3. Sweeper Monk for total protection and offense.
    You want to live, so there's no such thing as "too many" defenders.

You want to live, so there's no such thing as "too many" defenders.

Which is why out of the 5, one of the slots for me, will automatically go to Lu Xiaofeng.

Not only is his martial art unfathomably high, he is full of tricks and sees thru ploys well. And more importantly, once he decides his job is to protect you, he will somehow manage to get Flower Fullhouse, Simon, Honest Monk, Sikong and numerous others to help in the mission whether they know it or not!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Who would you keep closest by your side as the last line of defense if all else fails?
    I have always believed that offense is the best form of defense. So if all else fails, as last line of defense I would keep Dugu Qiubai by my side. To me Dugu Qiubai represents the ultimate offensive prowess in sword play who attained the philosophical level of swordsmanship without a sword. He reached such heights of perfection that he was no longer hampered by any weapon. Grass, trees, bamboos and rocks could all be forms of swords for him and he could win any battle without reaching for a weapon. Can't go wrong with that :-)

Dragon Girl, Gu Long, Xiao Feng, Sweeper Monk, and Dugu Qiubai all the way

Quote Originally Posted by tugmashed View Post
    Dragon Girl, Gu Long, Xiao Feng, Sweeper Monk, and Dugu Qiubai all the way
    Why choose Gu Long?

Why choose Gu Long?
    1. Sweeper Monk
    2. Xu Zhu
    3. Zhang Wu Ji
    4. Qiao Feng
    5. Dong Fang Bu Bai

3 Defenders and 2 attackers. No 1- 3 can also be use as medical doctor and healing wounds

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    My first choice would be Ouyang Feng. One of the deadliest assassination techniques is to use poison, and his mastery over poisons (to say nothing of the poison panacea he gave Huang Rong) would all but completely neutralize this deadly assassin tool. The fact that he's a grandmaster martial artist is icing on the cake.

My second choice would be Huang Yaoshi. His intelligence aside, his mastery over formations and traps would not only allow the party to break through almost any enemy trap/formation, if we stayed in one place he would himself set up many formations and traps to securely protect us. Once again, the fact that he's a grandmaster martial artist is icing on the cake.

My fourth choice is one of my favorite characters - Fu Hongxue. In [Horizon, Brightmoon, Saber] he shows himself to be incredibly adept at spotting and countering assassination attempts. This is because, as he discloses, he spent a total of seven years researching 538 assassinations of highly skilled martial artists who died over the course of three centuries. This knowledge would surely prove to be incredibly useful, and the fact that he is an absolute and complete total badass is just icing on the cake once again.

My final choice may be a surprising one as well - it is Yan Shisan, aka Yan 13. Most people only know that Yan 13 is a badass martial artist, but what many don't realize is that he also has incredible medical skills. When Xie Xiaofeng was poisoned, all the finest physicians around claimed that his illness and his wounds were completely untreatable... but Yan 13 managed to cure him. This means Yan 13 has incredible medical skills, which combined with Huang Yaoshi's mastery of medicines and Ouyang Feng's mastery of toxins should keep me very safe indeed, even if something does get through all those defenses. And of course... less we forget, Yan 13's 'Sword Fifteen' is Death Incarnate. Who better to guard me than Death itself? He is my trump card in the event that the 'assassins' have a truly peerless martial artist by their side. Nothing can stop Yan 13's Sword Fifteen. Nothing!

(note - Zhang Wuji is a possible alternate for Yan Shisan as he's also an incredible physician, but his general chokiness makes me nervous)

Thus, my five are Ouyang Feng, Huang Yaoshi, Hua Manlou, Fu Hongxue, and the one and only Yan Shisan.
    1. Lu Xiaofeng
    2. Xiao Feng
    3. Linghu Chong
    4. Li Xunhuan
    5. Sweeper Monk

Notice I didnt go for ultimate kungfu hexxor gods. While waiting for the assassins, could be boring. So I want people who can party and drink. Hence the 1st four (plus they are near ultimate anyway).

Number 5 is the insurance when me and 1,3,4 are dead drunk while trying to find out how much it takes to get number 2 drunk.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!