Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second most powerful character in DGSD

Default Second most powerful character in DGSD

There seems to be broad consensus (I think) that the Sweeper Monk is the most powerful character in Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, possibly the entire Jin Yong universe (unless someone wants to make a case for Dugu Qiubai over Sweeper Monk. LOL. Maybe that is a separate topic).

I was wondering if there is any such consensus on who was the second most powerful? There seem to be a lot of contenders like Xiao Feng, Jiumozhi, Tianshan Tonglao, Wuyazi, Murong Bo (Murong Fu's father), Xiao Yuanshan (Xiao Feng's father), Duan Yu and Xuzhu.

Is there a clear winner for the #2 position?

I find it is an extremely difficult question because there is hardly one-to-one fight among the contenders.
    Inner strength-wise = Wuyazi then maybe Xuzhu
    Attack-wise = XF
    Qinggong = DY.

It seems to me that JMZ, TST, MRB and XYS are not in the second league. But I could be wrong.

Xu Zhu without doubt since he have skills from 3 Xiaoyao Elders plus all of secret skills from Xiaoyao Pai in the secret room at Lingjiu Palace..
    Xu Zhu with 3 Elders skill ~/= 3 Elders
    Xu Zhu with 3 Elders skill + secret skill of Lingjiu Palace > 3 Elders

Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Xu Zhu without doubt since he have skills from 3 Xiaoyao Elders plus all of secret skills from Xiaoyao Pai in the secret room at Lingjiu Palace..
    Xu Zhu with 3 Elders skill ~/= 3 Elders
    Xu Zhu with 3 Elders skill + secret skill of Lingjiu Palace > 3 Elders
    Thank you. This is insightful. I thought there would be some debate as to who truly is the 2nd most powerful, but according to you it is XuZhu without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    Thank you. This is insightful. I thought there would be some debate as to who truly is the 2nd most powerful, but according to you it is XuZhu without a doubt.
    Having the skills of others do not mean you are better than others. One example is HR. She has the skills of HYS and H7G. Does it mean that she is better than GJ?

Hui Juk was so heads-and-shoulders more powerful than everybody else who wasn't the Janitor Monk that it's difficult to imagine him being defeated by anybody else in DGSD. He was not the savviest, cleverest, or most experienced fighter, but his vast power advantage was pretty much sufficient to overcome such disadvantages.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Hui Juk was so heads-and-shoulders more powerful than everybody else who wasn't the Janitor Monk that it's difficult to imagine him being defeated by anybody else in DGSD. He was not the savviest, cleverest, or most experienced fighter, but his vast power advantage was pretty much sufficient to overcome such disadvantages.
    I am more inclined to say Duan Yu, as he is the exact counter for HJ. DY can't match HJ for sheer power, but HJ's power cannot protect him from sharp attacks, thus making 6MSJ the perfect offensive weapon. If you add in HJ's lack of experience, it is very unlikely that he would be able to catch DY, thus making it very hard for him to neutralise 6MSJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    I am more inclined to say Duan Yu, as he is the exact counter for HJ. DY can't match HJ for sheer power, but HJ's power cannot protect him from sharp attacks, thus making 6MSJ the perfect offensive weapon. If you add in HJ's lack of experience, it is very unlikely that he would be able to catch DY, thus making it very hard for him to neutralise 6MSJ.
    The problem with 6MSJ is that it was never shown fighting long distance attacks (i.e > 10 feet out).

How would it fare against 3o to 50 foot palm strikes and multiple life-death talismans thrown at range?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    The problem with 6MSJ is that it was never shown fighting long distance attacks (i.e > 10 feet out).

How would it fare against 3o to 50 foot palm strikes and multiple life-death talismans thrown at range?
    Maybe not in terms of counter-attack. While DY's good qinggong help in escaping?

It is definitely Xu Zhu - even Duan Yu is a distant (1 tier away) 2nd.

With 200 years of Xiaoyao Internal (in the same league as YJJ imo), 2+ months of direct training under Tianshan Tonglao herself (Possibly the 2nd most powerful character before XZ overtook her), and a whole set of Great LV external techniques, the only thing holding back XZ is his benovelence nature and generally bad combat experience. In fact, I think he can go toe to toe with Sweeper if he's given XF's combat instinct (but we can't let him get too imba)

DY have the best offensive technique (LMSJ) and best agility/escape ability (LBWB), but his internal, even after absorbing JMZ, is "at best" worth 100 years.

Is the range of 6 Mak Divine Swords that short? I'd always thought of it as one of the longest-ranged attacks, and that every other martial art's (including other LDAs) range was shorter.

Is the range of 6 Mak Divine Swords that short? I'd always thought of it as one of the longest-ranged attacks, and that every other martial art (including other LDAs) were shorter.
    It was stated that MRF couldn't get within 10 feet of DY and had to stay out of range. So 1 zhang is about it.

Then when DY broke MRF's sword, MRF used his internal to grab the shards and flung them at DY and DY had to drop to the ground to avoid.

It was stated that MRF couldn't get within 10 feet of DY and had to stay out of range. So 1 zhang is about it.

Then when DY broke MRF's sword, MRF used his internal to grab the shards and flung them at DY and DY had to drop to the ground to avoid.
    How far apart were the five elder monks of Heavenly Dragon Temple and the newly initiated former Emperor Deun Jing Ming sitting from Kau Mor Tze during their brief skirmish?

How far apart were the five elder monks of Heavenly Dragon Temple and the newly initiated former Emperor Deun Jing Ming sitting from Kau Mor Tze during their brief skirmish?
    Not quoted but given that they were originally talking and JMZ was showing them the books for Shaolin 72 Arts MRB Version, within 10 feet is a good enough guess.

Another thing about 6MSJ. Its not some all piercing sword chi. JMZ was able to use his palm strikes to meet it head on and neutralize.

Another thing about 6MSJ. Its not some all piercing sword chi. JMZ was able to use his palm strikes to meet it head on and neutralize.
    So the dragon palm could possibly smash through it, rendering the sword chi useless 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    So the dragon palm could possibly smash through it, rendering the sword chi useless 😁
    XF's dragon palm takes time to execute whereas DY's 6MSJ is almost instantaneous. So, the first former strike will destroy the first latter laser. easily. But, how's about the second, third, fourth laser from 6MSJ?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    XF's dragon palm takes time to execute whereas DY's 6MSJ is almost instantaneous. So, the first former strike will destroy the first latter laser. easily. But, how's about the second, third, fourth laser from 6MSJ?
    DY was firing from all 10 fingers all 6 swords and JMZ was using his blazing knife palm to counter.

DY was firing from all 10 fingers all 6 swords and JMZ was using his blazing knife palm to counter.
    My bad. You are talking about JMZ and I am talking about XF. My apology.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    My bad. You are talking about JMZ and I am talking about XF. My apology.
    Is there a sentence in the novel which mentioned XF's dragon palms takes time to power up though?

In any case, how a fight develops seems to totally depend on the plot. No need to think too much about these X vs Y debates.

Is there a sentence in the novel which mentioned XF's dragon palms takes time to power up though?
    Not power. But time. To me, it seems that it takes a few seconds to execute one dragon palm.