Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Jin Yong's adaptations 2017-2020 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: Jin Yong's adaptations 2017-2020

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    i dont think Zhang Jizhong ever adapted Gu Long's works?
    Sorry for being unclear. What I meant is that with the passing of Gu Long, there do not seem to be any more Gu Long TV series/films. Though of course, I am not 100% sure for Jin Yong.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    Well last one i watched was xaio shi yilang with kevin yan?

    New handsome siblings coming out, border town prodigal came out a year or 2. As well as legend of flying daggers 2016 about dagger lee grandson stars yang rong, remake of one with julian Cheung and ruby lin.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    i will make a new thread about Gu Long adaptation, i dont like Gu Long's writing style, but i can find some information

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    OT: I think compared to jin yong, there will not be so many.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    Jin yong is like marvel n gu long like dc lol.

    Jin yong adaptions has more simple hero and story line.

    Gu long more darker heroes and complex villain

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Anyway, based on my memory, my only issues in terms of storyline for 2013 DGSD was the missing marriage between DY and Xixia Princess's maid and a missing marriage ceremony for DY and her wives at the end. Wow, it's nice to marry three in one go.
    Wow. Are you desperate for marriage?

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post

    White Horse Neighs in the Western Wind:
    according to https://jqknews.com/news/90658-Zhang...CXIwm4kPq18UBA
    Zhang Jizhong is planning to make a Jigsaw TV series version (i dont understand what that means)
    my friend who know mandarin language, told me that it was Television Film (a movie-length video that produced and distributed to a television network, not for movie theater)

  8. #48
    Senior Member aniking_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Seriously and honestly, only the condor trilogy and Smiling can reap a line of success even if people are tired of them. They'll tune in and possible new generation will like it. Duke, Fox, and the Book is a tricky one. Qing Dramas always goes to Jet Li WFH or Shaolin type. The rest are kind of obscure besides a few lesser fan favorite adaptions. Investors from a Business stand point will definitely choose condor and make it more family friendly to sell it to wider range of audience.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    KaGe just posted some new still images for DGSD 2019 tv series

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    WYY, DY, XF, XZ?

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    WYY, DY, XF, XZ?
    yes, more picture can be found here
    https://cfen.si/2019/01/08/sixth-dra...-unveils-cast/

  12. #52

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    The Book and the Sword Movie version confirmed.

    "The time is ripe for a revival of Jin Yong adaptations on film, as the author’s work has only appeared on the small screen in the last decade. The most widely read contemporary writer across the Chinese-speaking world, Jin Yong’s extensive work is seen as an IP wellspring that has the potential of spawning a cinematic universe akin to Marvel's or Tolkien's. At the moment, besides Pang’s trilogy, Media Asia is developing The Legend of the Condor Heroes, to be helmed by Roy Chow (Rise of the Legend), and Sun Entertainment Culture is adapting The Book and the Sword, Jin Yong's debut novel in 1955, with director Jacob Cheung (Cageman) attached."


    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rilogy-1186212

  14. #54
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aniking_8 View Post
    Seriously and honestly, only the condor trilogy and Smiling can reap a line of success even if people are tired of them. They'll tune in and possible new generation will like it. Duke, Fox, and the Book is a tricky one. Qing Dramas always goes to Jet Li WFH or Shaolin type. The rest are kind of obscure besides a few lesser fan favorite adaptions. Investors from a Business stand point will definitely choose condor and make it more family friendly to sell it to wider range of audience.
    I agree. People will watch these dramas because it was such a huge cultural phenomenon back then. Almost every person in the older generation has heard of, read, or watched LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS. There's no comparison with modern wuxia authors who, even when they are highly rated, are not even close to being as popular. This is the Lord of the Rings of China and just like no other fantasy can compete with Lord of the Rings in the West, no other wuxia can compete with LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS in China.

    But I also do think they shouldn't adapt it every year. LOCH 2017 was nearly perfect and it did not need another adaptation so soon. Adapt them once every 10 years or when everybody thinks the previous adaptation failed, like with HSDS I totally agree with them making a new one. But LOCH? No thanks.

    For ROCH, the 2014 version is still pretty up to date so unless they can find an amazing fit for XLN - since many people complained about Ariel Lin, even though I thought she was not bad - they should avoid doing a new one.

    That said, lately I have learned of a singer turned actress named Ju Jingyi, who is rising in costume drama circles ever since her performance in Legend of Yunxi. She's doing a new adaption of Legend of White Snake, after seeing the trailer, I think she'd nail XLN:




    Since ROCH is the ultimate idol drama among the three classics, I could support a new adaptation here with Ju Jingyi. But that's about it.

  15. #55
    Senior Member aniking_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Pop culture in movie and tv aspect is thriving off old pop culture success. It's a worldwide phenomenon. Japan animation alone is doing ton of reboot and remake alike just like disney with their live actions in Hollywood. Jin yong's wuxia is kind of parallel to stan lee's marvel or even lord of the ring/game of throne in terms of fantasy, mythology, lore with real history and subtle political innuendo alike except it's been milk beyond what we expect. You can say its for the new gen, but rarely any new kids at least the 90s and maybe 2000s haven't seen a previous adaption. People have higher standards and faithfulness and old school elitist will always complain. I recently get recommendation from tvb reuploading 1978 hsds. Aside from the quality of film, cheaper indoor set, slow paced "real" fighting, the acting wasnt that spectacular especially from the stuttering extras and elder veteran. Back then tvb tries to combat rivaling tv station during the hype of wuxia movies, so they're still testing and nowadays modern adaptions can improved by looking back at their mistakes. Loch 2017 is the typical "fan favorite" now for young and old gen with the usage of nostalgic instrumental and beautify scenery + limited special effects that makes it look like a fantasy video game. It just have enough to enhance the realness and authenticity of outdoor set scenery and detail fight choreography. There's some changes like always, but overall very faithful. A very pg heroine journey with comedy and feeling good vibe after almost every episode. The bloody and gore scenes are tone down significant compares to the bearded director takes on jin yong stuffs back in the 2000s.

  16. #56
    Senior Member aniking_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riverlake View Post
    I agree. People will watch these dramas because it was such a huge cultural phenomenon back then. Almost every person in the older generation has heard of, read, or watched LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS. There's no comparison with modern wuxia authors who, even when they are highly rated, are not even close to being as popular. This is the Lord of the Rings of China and just like no other fantasy can compete with Lord of the Rings in the West, no other wuxia can compete with LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS in China.


    But I also do think they shouldn't adapt it every year. LOCH 2017 was nearly perfect and it did not need another adaptation so soon. Adapt them once every 10 years or when everybody thinks the previous adaptation failed, like with HSDS I totally agree with them making a new one. But LOCH? No thanks.

    For ROCH, the 2014 version is still pretty up to date so unless they can find an amazing fit for XLN - since many people complained about Ariel Lin, even though I thought she was not bad - they should avoid doing a new one.

    That said, lately I have learned of a singer turned actress named Ju Jingyi, who is rising in costume drama circles ever since her performance in Legend of Yunxi. She's doing a new adaption of Legend of White Snake, after seeing the trailer, I think she'd nail XLN:




    Since ROCH is the ultimate idol drama among the three classics, I could support a new adaptation here with Ju Jingyi. But that's about it.
    Capitalizing on the movie hype is the real thing just like with painted skin and those palace drama vice versa. I don't think yu zheng chubby guy is that good of a writer, but he knows how to draw crowds and make connections like wong jing. He butchered two classics, but recently the new state of divinity is worse than his. Roch wasn't that bad acting and relationship wise, but they totally change the characters personalities and motivations as well as the tone of the series in a screaming teen fanfic way. It's a stable to always get a hk vet to play a major elderly roles nowadays. DGSD is getting one too. I actually think 2013 one wasn't that bad aside from overexposing green screens and kim portrayal of DY. the changes they did with Madam Ma was quite clever and interesting. The worst so far are still state of divinity 18 and duke 15. Anyway, the top 5 aka condor trilogy, smiling, and demi are done meaning we won't see them for another decade, but judging how saturated things are nowadays, I'll say 5 again since people are curious and cling on old things rather than accept new things. Also, studios want investors to invest, so these are safe bets regardless of rating outcome.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    latest news

    HSDS movie is not rumour anymore. already confirmed .

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    latest news

    HSDS movie is not rumour anymore. already confirmed .
    Continue from that of Jet Li?

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Continue from that of Jet Li?
    no information yet
    we only know that the director is the same one, Mr. Wong Jing.

    but we know that Jet Li cannot act as Wuji anymore with his current condition

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,665

    Default

    Storyline can continue from Jet Li's ending.

Similar Threads

  1. Jin Yong's depiction of the Juchen Jin Empire in LOCH
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-14-19, 02:52 AM
  2. Best TV/Film Adaptations of Jin Yong novel?
    By pdpredtide in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-07-10, 09:20 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-16-04, 07:54 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-29-04, 04:43 PM
  5. Xia Ke Xing adaptations
    By kidd in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-04, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •