Thread: Does the "eagle plot hole" exist in any instance of LOCH?

Default Does the "eagle plot hole" exist in any instance of LOCH?

One of most commonly discussed "plot holes" of Lord of the Rings is the eagle plot hole, where many people question why they simply didn't ask the eagles to fly to Mordor and destroy the ring since they seemingly had the ability to get in/out relatively easily, or at least easier than the protagonists impossible mission. There's arguments for and against, but that's the gist of it.

During the trek to find Emperor Duan (Yi Deng) when Huang Rong was injured, they called the eagles who responded instantly and were able to understand that they were to go to Peach Blossom Island and find Huang Yaoshi. Isn't that ability a bit ridiculous?

I can't think of any instance off the top of my head, but were there any dangers or events that happened that could have been instantly resolved by having a pair of giant eagles that appear instantly and are intelligent enough to go anywhere they've only been to once? (Forget how incredulous it is that the eagles understand Peach Blossom Island somehow, despite Guo Jing only being there once) Oh and they can fly/glide with humans for a decent amount.

Perhaps on the island they were stuck on, they could have had the eagles lead Huang Yaoshi to them?

Imagine the eagles finding Huang Yaoshi with a message from Huang Rong telling him that Hong Qigong was in trouble and they were holed up on an island with Ouyang Feng. Or Guo Jing gliding down into Samarkand with the aim of breaking open a gate to allow the waiting army in.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Imagine the eagles finding Huang Yaoshi with a message from Huang Rong telling him that Hong Qigong was in trouble and they were holed up on an island with Ouyang Feng. Or Guo Jing gliding down into Samarkand with the aim of breaking open a gate to allow the waiting army in.
    Right, they were much farther away when looking for Duan too, and I have to assume the island was much closer just harder to locate without guidance.

I know it'd be pretty lame if they just call Huang Yaoshi anytime they needed help, but that one scene makes it possible. Another one is when they were healing in the secret room, I'd think Huang Rong wouldn't risk it and immediately call her dad for help along with trying the healing while waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Right, they were much farther away when looking for Duan too, and I have to assume the island was much closer just harder to locate without guidance.

I know it'd be pretty lame if they just call Huang Yaoshi anytime they needed help, but that one scene makes it possible. Another one is when they were healing in the secret room, I'd think Huang Rong wouldn't risk it and immediately call her dad for help along with trying the healing while waiting.
    At that time HYS was still pretty pissed at GJ. There is a good chance HYS might kill him if he discover them in the secret room.