Thread: Thoughts on China banning Palace dramas

Banned

Default Thoughts on China banning Palace dramas

IMO, another ban (or two) China should consider implementing:

1. The Lord of the Rings clone. My God, I can't seem to watch a good xanxia drama without encountering stuff lifted straight from Lord of the Rings (T&E, Ever Night, etc.). It's become such an eye roll every time I encounter a scene taken from LotR.

2. The subtle but annoying RoCH spoofs featuring LiMouchou/XLN clones. Biggest example is Three Lives, Three Worlds (Bai Qian/SuSu = XLN, Xuan Nu = LiMochou). Next example is Fights Break Sphere (Xiao Xun Er = XLN). If u see a maiden dressed in white, turquoise, or light pink ina xanxia production, high chance that char was lifted from RoCH.

The ban should NOT affected ANY of the movies/TV series already filmed PRIOR to the rule change!

That's NOT really fair to those productions!

Nor any directors, Actors, Actresses, Crews who put a LOT of hard work on those!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Yu View Post
    The ban should NOT affected ANY of the movies/TV series already filmed PRIOR to the rule change!

That's NOT really fair to those productions!
    That is part and parcel of doing business in China , either the industry self regulate or somebody will regulate them abruptly.

Don't like it. Not a very fair law/rule IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by krabs View Post
    That is part and parcel of doing business in China , either the industry self regulate or somebody will regulate them abruptly.
    Here in America, I am sure it will be after the rule change, not abruptly. 'Abruptly' is what's one of the problems with China that Americans frawn upon on!

There usually is a visible popularity trend within the entertainment industry before the ban

some examples that I can remember in recent years

1) 穿越 time travel drama

2) 雷剧 jokes where they slap each other and make modern reference while wearing ancient costume (ji gong series)

3) 古装禁令 ancient costume drama vastly outnumber modern timeline drama , they had to set a quota per year

4) winne the pooh , peppa pig

5) no ghost or supernatural

6) palace drama genre revived by the super popularity of yanxi palace
    Last edited by krabs; 02-05-19 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krabs View Post
    There usually is a visible popularity trend within the entertainment industry before the ban

some examples that I can remember in recent years

1) 穿越 time travel drama

2) 雷剧 jokes where they slap each other and make modern reference while wearing ancient costume (ji gong series)

3) 古装禁令 ancient costume drama vastly outnumber modern timeline drama , they had to set a quota per year

4) winne the pooh , peppa pig

5) no ghost or supernatural

6) palace drama genre revived by the super popularity of yanxi palace
    What did Peppa Pig do yo get banned? I know about the Winnie the Pooh reference to a politician.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Peppa Pig was banned in China around mid-2018 because of a viral catchy rhyme , something about being thug life , vagrant , unconventional being "cool".
    It begun when thugs use waterslide decal "fake tattoo" and the celebrities take a selfie with the plush toy on their social media. It created a craze where normal women in their 20s 30s buy the toy too and say the rhyme.

This chinese new year (10 days ago) , it's zodiac year of the Pig , and Peppa is unbanned.

Banned

I finally realized why I subconsciously like RoCH more than LoCH.

But first, the premise:

There is an entire chapter in the Bible devoted to numbers. So we know numbers have an important place in higher societies, even in China.

Jin Yong repeated used the number 9 a lot. So let's see the 9 in his first part work LoCH.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/HK_Kln_Park_Lee_Chi_Ching_Guo_Jing_Condor_Heroes_L egend_Oct-2012.JPG/450px-HK_Kln_Park_Lee_Chi_Ching_Guo_Jing_Condor_Heroes_L egend_Oct-2012.JPG')

Guo Jing is actually Sagittarius, the ninth astrological sign:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Sagittarius2.jpg')

9 is the number of the Emperor. Well guess what, China just banned Palace dramas, which leaves us with...

The one handed warrior:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/ae49e686-71d8-4c39-8f8f-8a11c3bd3868/do46qc-d0c9dfbe-a68c-4d2f-bd1e-4705c76debca.jpg/v1/fill/w_818,h_976,q_70,strp/yang_guo_by_saikyn_do46qc-pre.jpg')

One hand = big thumb + 4 little fingers:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://chinafilminsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Wolf-Warriors-2-China-1024x640.jpg')

LoCH is the story of number 9 (Sagittarius/Emperor) whereas RoCH is the story of number 5 (one hand/Buddha's palm/Chinese flag):

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DUdGAh8ut3o/UODdhPZxR8I/AAAAAAAAEKY/Rq7d5-nZmV8/s320/gamblingwithbuddha.jpg')

(Boils down to which is more awesome God or Sagittarius?...)

Same fate for Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre why it is still not aired in China?

There seems to be another wave of ban or restriction on broadcasting costume drama , to last until June 2019.