Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Fan Yao and Yang Xiao

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default Fan Yao and Yang Xiao

    so the HSDS novel 3rd edition in my local language version said that Fan Yao has the highest martial arts compare to the rest ming cult members according to zhang wuji. then i checked the chinese source via web and found the paragraph

    张无忌一个个瞧过去,心想:“杨左使、范右使、韦蝠王、布袋师父诸位各负绝艺,均可去得。其中范右使武学最 博,不论对手是何家数,他都有取胜之道,还是请范右使出马的为是。”便道:“本来各位兄弟任谁去都一样,但 杨左使曾随我攻打金刚伏魔圈,韦蝠王与布袋大师曾生擒夏冑,都已出过力气。这一次想请范右使出 手。”

    i asked someone that know mandarin language very well, she also translated it to "Highest" .
    i feel that if we say Fan Yao > Yang Xiao, that would make controversial thing ,
    is there anyone here who know chinese language, could give some guide regarding the paragraph?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    so the HSDS novel 3rd edition in my local language version said that Fan Yao has the highest martial arts compare to the rest ming cult members according to zhang wuji. then i checked the chinese source via web and found the paragraph

    张无忌一个个瞧过去,心想:“杨左使、范右使、韦蝠王、布袋师父诸位各负绝艺,均可去得。其中范右使武学最 博,不论对手是何家数,他都有取胜之道,还是请范右使出马的为是。”便道:“本来各位兄弟任谁去都一样,但 杨左使曾随我攻打金刚伏魔圈,韦蝠王与布袋大师曾生擒夏冑,都已出过力气。这一次想请范右使出 手。”

    i asked someone that know mandarin language very well, she also translated it to "Highest" .
    i feel that if we say Fan Yao > Yang Xiao, that would make controversial thing ,
    is there anyone here who know chinese language, could give some guide regarding the paragraph?
    Which page..

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I don't think the word 博 translate to highest at all. Close, but not exactly the same. A better translation would be to broad, wide-ranging or comprehensive, which fits the context in the whole sentence.

    Roughly translating: Zhang Wu Ji thought "Yang Xiao, Fan Yao, Green Bat etc... each have their own supreme skill, and are all suitable candidates. Of these people, Fan Yao skillset is the most comprehensive - no matter which kind of martial arts style the opponent uses, he is always able to find a way to win.

    The meaning here is 'Fan Yao is able to find a way to beat many different kind of opponents'.

    There is a chinese idiom 博大精深, often used to describe skill mastery. 博大 would translate to broad and wide-ranging skillsets, 精深 would translate to depth and mastery of the skill.

    My Thoughts: It could still mean that Fan Yao is the strongest out of them, but it is different from explictly stating that he is the strongest (i.e in which case he could have just used 范右使武功最高)
    Last edited by WuxiaMaster; 03-01-19 at 12:29 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    But still he need Wuji "advice" to counter SJS 9 Yin White Bone Claw😛😛😛😛

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    449

    Default

    9Yin White Bone Claw is on a whole different level.... Great LV Skill (beyond Fan Yao's league)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    Which page..
    cmiiw, near end of chapter 37 book 4

    Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaMaster View Post
    I don't think the word 博 translate to highest at all. Close, but not exactly the same. A better translation would be to broad, wide-ranging or comprehensive, which fits the context in the whole sentence.

    Roughly translating: Zhang Wu Ji thought "Yang Xiao, Fan Yao, Green Bat etc... each have their own supreme skill, and are all suitable candidates. Of these people, Fan Yao skillset is the most comprehensive - no matter which kind of martial arts style the opponent uses, he is always able to find a way to win.

    The meaning here is 'Fan Yao is able to find a way to beat many different kind of opponents'.

    There is a chinese idiom 博大精深, often used to describe skill mastery. 博大 would translate to broad and wide-ranging skillsets, 精深 would translate to depth and mastery of the skill.

    My Thoughts: It could still mean that Fan Yao is the strongest out of them, but it is different from explictly stating that he is the strongest (i.e in which case he could have just used 范右使武功最高)
    thanks WuxiaMaster for your enlightenment

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Pardon me to disgress a bit. Something just cross my mind.
    In the fight against Three Elders of the Bodhidharma Hall, the Ming Cult comprises zwj, yx and ytz. Why Fan Yao was not in the fight?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Pardon me to disgress a bit. Something just cross my mind.
    In the fight against Three Elders of the Bodhidharma Hall, the Ming Cult comprises zwj, yx and ytz. Why Fan Yao was not in the fight?
    because that old grandpa insisted that he want to participate,
    then he died....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    so do you think if Wuji chose Fan Yao, which is stronger and younger than that old grandpa, in that 3 on 3 battle, they can win over the 3 elders of shaolin monks?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    so do you think if Wuji chose Fan Yao, which is stronger and younger than that old grandpa, in that 3 on 3 battle, they can win over the 3 elders of shaolin monks?
    No idea. But at least zwj's grandfather will not die.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    No the result would be same since YX/FY/YTZ was roughly equal..

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Western Eccentric View Post
    No the result would be same since YX/FY/YTZ was roughly equal..
    They might not have won, but they could have avoided taking casualties as YTZ died because of exhaustion.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,580

    Default

    I think throughout the book it's constantly brought up how versatile Fan Yao is with all types of martial arts, so I'd agree with that interpretation.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    But he's admit "inferior" to YX in terms of martial art knowledge 😶😶😶😶
    Among these six combatants, Yang Xiao’s martial art was the most attractive to look at. The two Sheng Huo Ling tablets in his hands circled around and danced in the air; sometimes it became a sword, suddenly it changed into a saber. Sometimes he thrust it forward like a short spear, next time it struck, coiled, slapped, and then changed into a judge’s pen; poking, pressing down, jerking up, and then the one in his left hand changed into a dagger, while the one in his right changed into an awl [(?) Translator’s note: I don’t know what kind of weapon this is. The original was ‘shui3 ci4’ 水刺 – ‘water thorn’]. Suddenly the one in his right hand changed into a steel whip, while the one in his left a crowbar. Within these hundreds of changes, he struck the two tablets to each other, creating a ‘ya ya’ [This is the transliteration of the Chinese characters, don’t ask me what kind of noise is this.] sound, disturbing the enemy’s concentration. Before they even fought for four hundred stances, the tablets had changed into twenty-two different weapons; with each weapon incorporating two sets of styles, so altogether he had used forty-four different sets of styles.

    Kong Zhi had mastered eleven out of Shaolin Pai’s seventy-two unique skills; while almost no martial art skills in the world eluded Fan Yao’s knowledge, but at this moment watching Yang Xiao deftly launch his divine skills, both of them could not help but inwardly sigh with admiration.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Pardon me to disgress a bit. Something just cross my mind.
    In the fight against Three Elders of the Bodhidharma Hall, the Ming Cult comprises zwj, yx and ytz. Why Fan Yao was not in the fight?
    Actually, ZWJ initially picked Yang Xiao and Fan Yao, which was absolutely the right decision. Both of them are very versatile and can handle the Holy Flame tablets as weapons. Ying TianZheng, otoh, can probably only use his claws (and a sword to some degree), not to mention is much older than the other 2 guys. However, Kong Zhi, one of the Shaolin monks, called out Fan Yao to have a duel with him later, due to their previous conflict. Fan Yao, by wulin'scode, had to agree to the duel and thus had to sit out of the fight against the 3 monks.

    So the next guy in line, in both martial arts ability and rank, is Ying TianZheng. ZWJ actually wanted to pick his uncle Ying YaWang but Ying TianZheng insisted that he fight instead of his son. ZWJ had no choice but to accept.

    The essence of the fight with the 3 monks always comes down to inner power, though, so the outcome would have been the same with Fan Yao in there. However, Ying TianZheng wouldn't have died.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    Actually, ZWJ initially picked Yang Xiao and Fan Yao, which was absolutely the right decision. Both of them are very versatile and can handle the Holy Flame tablets as weapons. Ying TianZheng, otoh, can probably only use his claws (and a sword to some degree), not to mention is much older than the other 2 guys. However, Kong Zhi, one of the Shaolin monks, called out Fan Yao to have a duel with him later, due to their previous conflict. Fan Yao, by wulin'scode, had to agree to the duel and thus had to sit out of the fight against the 3 monks.
    Yes, thanks for the reminder. If I remember correctly, ZWJ wanted FY to conserve his energy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Yes, thanks for the reminder. If I remember correctly, ZWJ wanted FY to conserve his energy.
    ....
    This event after Wuji fight Du Monk for the 2nd time (with YX/YTZ help) which occur in The Lion Slaying Festival..

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Wuji is just bad. Given his power he really should be winning against 2 Du Monks.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Yeeeep especially if We compare him with XF which can "play around" with 2 Xuan Monk only with Shaolin basic skill/art and Founder Long Fist😎😎😎😎

  20. #20
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WuxiaMaster View Post
    Wuji is just bad. Given his power he really should be winning against 2 Du Monks.
    Cheung Mo Gei's Achilles heel is that he fights down to the level of the competition. He lacks killer instinct and seems to fight to not lose (which pretty much puts him in a position where he'll likely lose).

Similar Threads

  1. LHC, Fan Yao and Yang Xiao
    By druid in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-13, 11:27 PM
  2. Yang Guo vs Yang Guo vs Yang Guo vs Yang Guo
    By yittz in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-11, 10:45 PM
  3. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-22-08, 12:36 AM
  4. fan yao (hsds) - spoiler?
    By seeker010 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-07, 03:58 AM
  5. Fan Wei Qi aka Fan Fan
    By big master in forum Actresses
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-07, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •