Thread: Questions on HSDS

Default Questions on HSDS

Inspired by HSDS 2019, I have two questions:
    1. Where was XZ when she was young? Because from my observation, it seems that she and Yin-li do not know each other. And Yin-li has been following JHPP since young.
    2. How did Yin-li "rise from the grave"? And how did she go back to mainland?

Thanking in advance.

1. JHPP sent XZ away at a very young age in order to conceal her identity (the book didn't say exactly when). Then later, she took on Yinli as her disciple after Yinli ran away from her father (maybe she rescued her from her father. I don't remember). YL didn't know about XZ but XZ did know about YL. What's weird, though, is that XZ is born after ZWJ, which means that JHPP and Han Qianye waited a really longass time to conceive XZ. The time when she met her husband at Guangmingding must have been at least 5 years before the start of the book, considering so many events happened between then and the start of the book: YDT died, ChengKun killed XX's family, XX killed KongJian,Mingjiao disbanded, XX went into hiding, DragonSabre resurfaced etc. So that means JHPP and HQY waited at least 17 years to start conceiving XZ. Did HQY have fertility problem or something?

2. No idea. I mean how could she get out of the grave? And ZWJ is a doctor. He must have known if YL still had any vital signs at all. Basically it was very messy writing from Jinyong.

Thanks, EdenResident.
    1. Where is JHPP likely to send XZ to? Persia since XZ know Persian.
    Please explain why XZ know about Yin-li.

This is more a request for those who have read the third edition. One third edition change is (https://wuxiasociety.com/heaven-swor...d-edition/2/):

"Xiaozhao dispatched emissaries to return the Persian’s six Holy Flame Tablets to the Ming Cult. Since Zhang Wuji learnt the techniques from the six tablets that belonged to the Persian Ming Cult, he returned the favour by giving them a copy of the Great Shift in Heaven and Earth.

However, the real reason was Xiaozhao pining for Zhang Wuji, and wanted to get in touch with him. She sent the Holy Flame Tablets along with the clothings she made for him as a gesture of her affection. These clothings were made while she was staying in an inn when Zhang Wuji rescued the people trapped in the pagoda."

Where can I read this from the novel? https://wuxiasociety.com/the-heaven-...-dragon-sabre/
    I tried scanning through the later chapters but seem not able to find it. Please assist if you know. Thanking in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Thanks, EdenResident.
    1. Where is JHPP likely to send XZ to? Persia since XZ know Persian.
    Please explain why XZ know about Yin-li.
    Since the goal is for XZ to infiltrate Chinese Ming Jiao (and steal the QKDNY manuals), JHPP just sent XZ to a normal Han family, who would be killed by the Mongols, conveniently when Yang Xiao is around to take her in.

When XZ's leaving ZWJ to go back to Persia, she told Wuji than YL has followed her mom for a long time and is the best suited to be his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    Since the goal is for XZ to infiltrate Chinese Ming Jiao (and steal the QKDNY manuals), JHPP just sent XZ to a normal Han family, who would be killed by the Mongols, conveniently when Yang Xiao is around to take her in.

When XZ's leaving ZWJ to go back to Persia, she told Wuji than YL has followed her mom for a long time and is the best suited to be his wife.
    1. If xz follow a normal Han family when young, why is she able to know Persian? Moreover, xz know some military strategy. So logically, xz should be staying with a Persian military family?
    2. Found this part a bit confusing. In this series, xz ask zm to take good care of zwj.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

1. If xz follow a normal Han family when young, why is she able to know Persian? Moreover, xz know some military strategy. So logically, xz should be staying with a Persian military family?
    2. Found this part a bit confusing. In this series, xz ask zm to take good care of zwj.
    Personally I think how YX rescued XZ was just a set up. It is far too convenient even for the genre. Although XZ was fostered out I believe her mother probably visited her on a regular basis, thus giving her a good grounding in Persian and military strategy.

As for the YL thing, the only explanation I can think of is that YL was the only one XZ actually trusted. ZM was far too clever for ZWJ and I think XZ probably sensed there was something off about ZRR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Personally I think how YX rescued XZ was just a set up. It is far too convenient even for the genre. Although XZ was fostered out I believe her mother probably visited her on a regular basis, thus giving her a good grounding in Persian and military strategy.

As for the YL thing, the only explanation I can think of is that YL was the only one XZ actually trusted. ZM was far too clever for ZWJ and I think XZ probably sensed there was something off about ZRR.
    Good points, MF. And yes, there is a possibility that XZ heard of YL.

But there is a part where I am still confused. The song which XZ sang - there could be a possibility that her mum taught her though she told zwj that she heard it from people singing. A potential lie by XZ?

Good points, MF. And yes, there is a possibility that XZ heard of YL.

But there is a part where I am still confused. The song which XZ sang - there could be a possibility that her mum taught her though she told zwj that she heard it from people singing. A potential lie by XZ?
    She definitely was taught by her mom. She only lied to ZWJ to protect her mom's identity. She obviously understood that if word got out about JHPP's real identity, she would be seeked and killed. In the end she told ZWJ that it caused her great pains to not be truthful about her identity to him.

Her mom taught her a lot of things, from a bit of kungfu to language, arts, even military tactics. I think she kind of knew there's a good chance that one day, XZ would become Persian Ming Jiao's jiaozhu in place of her. She was preparing XZ for the role the way they were preparing her before.

Her mom should have taught her some martial arts.

Xiaozhao, frankly, is just as capable (or more so) of duplicity as Zhao Min or Zhou Zhirou. Concealing her identify and appearance while living 24/7 with the Yang family for years is a feat of guile and subtlety far surpassing anything shown by the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    Xiaozhao, frankly, is just as capable (or more so) of duplicity as Zhao Min or Zhou Zhirou. Concealing her identify and appearance while living 24/7 with the Yang family for years is a feat of guile and subtlety far surpassing anything shown by the other two.
    In the book, Yang Xiao already knew, or at least suspected XZ, due to multiple reasons, one of which is her resemblance of her mother. YX chose to let her stay because she's just a kid and he can use her to find out who's behind or feed her fake intelligence. It's a very standard counterintelligence move that a leader of Yang Xiao's stature should be able to do.

However, I agree that XZ is very capable. She has it in her genes. Even someone as smart as Zhao Min couldn't figure her out until the end.

Q3. What is the likely reason that xz did not offer the rest a ride back to mainland? She knew that Yin-li is badly injured and they only have a small boat. With her kindness, she should have sent them back to mainland. Could it be because she is afraid that she will be reluctant to leave zwj when he is on board again?

Q3. What is the likely reason that xz did not offer the rest a ride back to mainland? She knew that Yin-li is badly injured and they only have a small boat. With her kindness, she should have sent them back to mainland. Could it be because she is afraid that she will be reluctant to leave zwj when he is on board again?
    At that point, the Persian still didn't trust her so they would not likely fulfill her demand. What if they gave ZWJ a big boat and ZWJ used it to come back to snatch her? I think a small boat was fine. They would have no trouble getting back to the main land if not for the subsequent events. People like the Vikings crossed oceans on small boats.