Thread: What exactly happened during Linghu Chong and Chongxu's duel?

Default What exactly happened during Linghu Chong and Chongxu's duel?

During the entire duel, Linghu Chong was on the back foot, and he decided he had to gamble and just attack the center and hope to break the attack.

But even with that lucky strike, it didn't seem like he gained an edge -- he just stopped the inevitable loss. Once Chongxu realized his opponent found his weak point, couldn't he change his style a bit and sometimes make it his weak point and sometimes put it somewhere else?

The whole fight scene did not make me feel LHC was even a victor -- he only managed to not lose; but later on, Chongxu makes it seem like he would be hopelessly defeated during the 3 fights in Shaolin monastery. Is Chongxu and Taiji so inflexible that once someone realizes to attack the center that they're completely defeated? It doesn't make much sense to me at all.

The logical conclusion to draw is that Chongxu wasn't that good a martial artist-like Yue Buqun, he was good because he was taught elite skills. I don't know if it was TV adaption, but I thought a good deal of Taiji (fist and swordplay) was being said to be formless and based on principles (sounds like DG9J).