Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Untamed 陈情令 2019

Banned

Default The Untamed 陈情令 2019

So, I just found out about this drama after watching The King's Avatar. The anime version was made by the same production team as TKA with the same voice actors/actresses. BUT, The Untamed managed to score way higher than TKA live action on Douban. Anime version (Mo Dao Zu Shi) also scored way higher than TKA.

But this show is not for kids coz...

click to show/hide spoilers
    In an alternate universe, Ye Xiu is gay (well actually another male char is romantically interested in him), kills Su MuCheng by accident, and is afraid of dogs, but is the same "Master of [Occult Arts] Skills"...

Banned

Story has similar theme to TKA (main char is killed, resurrected many years later to rediscover the events leading to his death...)

Douban scores (live action version):

The King's Avatar - 7.3
    The Untamed - 8.1

Douban scores (anime version):

The King's Avatar S1 - 8.2
    Mo Dao Zu Shi S1 - 8.9
    Mo Dao Zu Shi S2 - 9.1

The trailer:

Banned

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chinaattila.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/605.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://bimotv.me/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/The-Untamed-chinese.jpg')

(One playing the flute on the left is "Ye Xiu", one on the right is his "lover"...)

Banned

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://aradramatv.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/01360f5d243cb5a801213763ab5fc8.jpg@1280w_1l_2o_100 sh-Copie.jpg')

Banned

As with TKA, Tencent released the ENG subbed anime on YT, but I prefer to watch from link below...

https://www.thewatchcartoononline.tv...english-subbed

Banned

ENG sub version up on Viki.

BTW, I didn't think the main story is about two "gay lords", but more like... There's something called a twin flame which is different than a soul mate (opposite). Story more like hinges on a twin flame relationship (ie. Ken Masters vs Ryu in Street Fighter), rather than homosexuality...

I fast forwarded the first episode when it aired ...... looked like a pair of gay and the white group of priests with the funny headband.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by krabs View Post
    I fast forwarded the first episode when it aired ...... looked like a pair of gay and the white group of priests with the funny headband.
    I started watching this drama coz when I saw its Douban ratings, I was like "how the fook did 590,000 ppl give this a 8.1 rating"? Even The King's Avatar only garnered like <100,000 votes after finished airing..

Finished drama. Really is like xian xia version or smiling proud wanderer, main guy drinks alcohol, carefree attitude, help anyone not caring what sect u r from. Gets framed for almost everything, lost his powers comes back power up.

Story is pretty good. Costumes set piece actors r high light of the show. Action scenes r horrible. Story does drag . a lot of misunderstanding bc no ones willing to explain themselves.

Villains motive is understandable but weak.

Most characters get flushed out pretty well in character development department etc. Felt like they could've explain and show more of how Wei Xian became yiling patriarch. Or his abilities etc
    Last edited by Mido-Ban; 09-22-19 at 05:36 PM.

Gonna start watching the anime so c if any difference
    Last edited by Mido-Ban; 09-22-19 at 05:36 PM.

Banned

Anime is better. Since its live action they couldn't do the things in the anime version so had to modify them...

Read somewhere that this is the current most rated drama on Douban. Wow!! Last I checked 600k votes vs 100k for The King's Avatar.

Quality is bad coz it's Tencent, they focus more on storytelling than fancy graphics/CGI. Opposite Novoland Eagle Flag that spent tonnes of money on visual effects but flopped critically.

BIG surprise for me was it seems it was purposely filmed for a big screen TV. All the details really showed, the scenes and sets looked really detailed and gorgeous. Those scenes with Lan Zhan and Wei Wuxian fighting/flying on the roof tops, the people looked smallish in those wide angled shots coz the director wanted u to see those scenes on a big sized screen and be awed at the scale of heights. Also those wide angle scenic transition shots, same thing meant to be seen on large displays...

Banned

Oh yeah, I also read from somewhere that the two IPs Tencent really cared about the most in 2019 are The Untamed/Mo Dao Zu Shi and The King's Avatar. I wholely agree. Be looking forward to what other works Tencent inducts into its "really care list" in 2020...

They could really make like filler ep. Like show how talented wwx is in his training, sword arts, then when he goes rogue and use and create demonic arts.

Wished the show couldve shown then flying on swords and fighting etc more like the anime. Show cases both his sword skills and dark arts.

The series is pretty good tho. Something different from wuxia.

The characters chemistry really is what made the series so well done.

I would like to c this production team tackle on smiling proud wanderer. Wei wu xians character is replica of ling hu chong

Banned

Lan Zhan = DFBB? (Since they're both male chars and have a thing for the MC...)

Banned

What I love most about Tencent is this company is the modern Chinese Shakespeare of our time. Shakespeare never found success early on until he started cloning the popular stories of his time. We take Shakespeare to be a great writer but none of his works are original including Romeo & Juliet...

Anyways, I always thought the first part of Untamed was more like a RoCH spoof. Yanli is a much kinder Guo Fu already engaged to someone. Story started out having the MC go and study at a remote recess like uncle GJ taking YG to study at Quanzhen Sect where he broke all kinds of rules and got into trouble. They wanted to cut off his hand back at Lotus Cove. Yanli's mom is a HR clone never liking the MC etc.

Then I thought they wanted to spoof how YG (WWX) after separating from XLN (JYL) reunites at the (injured) heroes meet in Ep 20 highlighted by the touching song below:

Anyways I can't remember exactly but I think in the anime they made it seem Yanli would break off her engagement and fall in love with the MC in a forbidden relationship. Then in the next ep she has a baby with some1 else, like GF breaking off from YG to ultimately marry someone else...

Banned

Lol, I can't believe Tencent half-arsed the anime S2 -- only 8 episodes!?!? S1 had 15 episodes! The artwork seems a bit lower quality penny-pinching than S1 too.

Anyways it seems Tencent has a thing for Street Fighter, their two most popular works Untamed and King's Avatar both feature a very flamboyant main character with two red tails (Ken) and another main lead with (white) headband (Ryu).

Banned

I finished watching the drama today (8 EPs per weekend on large living room TV). I don't get why some ppl comment on DramaPanda that they couldn't get over the drama even after 1 month... For me it was the opposite, I couldn't really care after it ended. BTW, this the first drama I felt nothing after the ending, which prob explains why it only got 8.2 on Douban. I felt sad after watching last ep of The King's Avatar and Eagle Flag. I really felt nothing with this drama.

Banned

It's been more than 1 month since I finished this series...

Wow, this drama turned out to be the drama I missed watching the most (I guess the folks at DramaPanda were right -- they couldn't get over the drama after 1 month finished airing/watching)

The reason why this drama stuck to me was becoz it's about the love between two unrelated ppl (WeiWuxian and Lang Zhan).

It's easy to write the love story about bros (ie. Ice Fantasy) or male-female lovers (ie. 3 Lives 3 Worlds). Not so easy between two unrelated ppl...

Anyways, Just for Fun

Why Untamed is a RoCH spoof

- WeiWuxian is Yang Guo (homeless boy taken in by Uncle Guo/aka Jiang Clan)
    - Ah Yuan is Guo Xiang (met WWX when he was a boy, meets him again 16 years later)
    - 16 years till WWX gets reincarnated (aka XLN-YG's 16 years separation)
    - At the end of the drama, WWX disappears into nowhere like YG/XLN couple retiring to seclusion

Why Untamed is a Lord of the Rings Spoof

- The Amulet is the evil One Ring
    - WWX fell off the cliff of a Volcano like Gollum knocking Frodo off the Cliff
    - Climax happened at the site of a Volcano (aka Mount Doom)
    - Main story thread is love between WWX and Lang Zhan (aka between Frodo and Sam)

Why Untamed is a Street Fighter Spoof
    - It's related to Tencent's favorite SF version (SF Zero/Alpha) where Ryu wears a white headband while Ken wears a red one.

Banned

Here it is, this pic proves Tencent is in love with Street Fighter (Zero aka Alpha edition). We see Ryu (Lan Zhan) with white headband and Ken (Wei Wuxian) with red headband:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://megagames.com/sites/default/files/game-content-images/sf018street-fighter-alpha-ryu-and-ken-posters.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XkX7dv8c_CE/maxresdefault.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('https://aradramatv.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/01360f5d243cb5a801213763ab5fc8.jpg@1280w_1l_2o_100 sh-Copie.jpg')

(Of course not neglecting the bromance Ryu had with Ken in Street Fighter too...)