Thread: Joy of Life - 庆余年(2019)

Banned

Default Joy of Life - 庆余年(2019)

Lol, Tencent repeats the same motif as The King's Avatar (2019) and The Untamed (2019). Basically a trio of close friends (in this case siblings) comprised of 2 males + 1 female main chars.

In terms of story, it's basically a comedic version of Nirvana in Fire with some outstanding cinematography/creativity like season change and time stop scenes.

What drew me to the series was Li Qin, one of the better looking modern young actress...

Banned

Just for comparison -- Douban ratings:

The Untamed - 8.3/600k votes
    Joy of Life - 7.9 (Still airing)/100k votes
    The King's Avatar - 7.4/100k votes

Also, title says Season 1, with 46 episodes... Can we expect a Season 2 later on?

Banned

click to show/hide spoilers
    TenCent's inside joke:

I've only watched up to Ep21 so far. But I've been reading on Soompi forum that the Emperor is actually Fan Xian's father.

Since we're actually dealing with a drama where someone in modern time was nearly dying and woke up to become the MC of Joy of Life, I'm gonna go ahead and say that Tencent was implying that everyone has two fathers, a biological one on Earth who we call father, and another one we should call Father. "father" provides us with our daily breads and living necessities, but "Father" saves our arses out of impossible situations... Tencent really means to imply the King is God, while Fan Xian's father is just a person...

Banned

So, I didn't know that because of the blindfold, uncle Wuzhu is actually played by the actor who will play Yang Guo in the upcoming New Return of the Condor Heroes... Go figure. His char by far the most bad arse in Joy of Life -- should give a sort of popularity boost to Condor Heroes when it airs...

This show is hilarious. Been reading the original novel ever since. So far its quite accurate with minor changes.

Wang Qinian is so funny. The poet reciting scene in the palace was really well done. Really captured the essence in the novel.

Crown prince and second prince contrast is also quite clear. Beautifully done.

Actress who plays Si lili is really pretty, personally think she looks better than the female lead. So far, every guy seems to be better looking than male lead lol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiang Yu View Post
    This show is hilarious. Been reading the original novel ever since. So far its quite accurate with minor changes.

Wang Qinian is so funny. The poet reciting scene in the palace was really well done. Really captured the essence in the novel.

Crown prince and second prince contrast is also quite clear. Beautifully done.

Actress who plays Si lili is really pretty, personally think she looks better than the female lead. So far, every guy seems to be better looking than male lead lol.
    I haven't read the novels... Wanna tell us how Fan Xian will come back for Season 2 from being stabbed? You could use Spoiler tags to hide the text.

This is very good. I think xu kai could've played fan xian as well.

And xiao zhan looks younger here then in untamed.

The dance scene was funny

Hi Xiang Yu,
    I'm watching this series now and i like it. It remind me to Huang Yi's A Step Into The Past. I really enjoyed reading this exciting and 6 years translating novel (English fan translation at http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...B0-by-Huang-Yi). Fan Xian and Xiang Shaolong, with their 21st knowledge, journey in Warring States politic and romance.
    So, by chance, do you know any link that has Joy of Life novel English translation? Thanks

Banned

Ending of S1 is kinda lame. Tencent pulled the same trick in the Kings Avatar where near the end of one episode Lord Grim had like 1% HP left. Then at the beginning of the next ep, we see that he actually had 25% HP remaining! In this similar manner, we saw Fan Xian bathed in blood and nearly dying. Then prob in the S2, he only lost a quarter of his blood...

Anyways, this is what I saw in Ep 46: Lord Shen stabbed his sister non fatally to save her. YBY saw it and got the idea, if he stabbed Fan Xian non fatally he could plz everyone (ie. The country remains stable, Fan Xian has the choice to go his away after surviving the stab where everyone believed him dead).

i just realized the author of the novel version is Mao Ni , who also created Ever Night and Fighter of Destiny
    looks like a talented author

Banned

I'm watching Ever Night 2 right now. S2 gets better coz I never liked SangSang. I heard Haotian takes over her body later. Haotian is pretty. SangSang isn't.

BTW, Mao Ni is a talented writer but not the best. In the novel Fan Xian basically had sex with all the girls except his sister. In the novel, the world was wiped out coz of a nuclear holocaust. I'm glad companies like Tencent stepped in and made changes, like we now have humans dying off from an ice age. Much better than some nuclear holocaust perversion!
    Last edited by hirobo2; 01-24-20 at 01:21 PM.

Banned

So, I finally figured out which work Mao Ni based his novel version on (since Uncle Wu Zhu is actually a robot)... The Terminator! Ye Qingmei is Sarah Connor. Fan Xian is John Connor. The Terminator is Uncle Wu Zhu (always protective of Fan Xian, knew his mother Sarah Connor), etc.

WOW Li Qin!!!

So I watched some of her old shows.

She is very charismatic/talented!