Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ever Night S2 (2020) Dylan Wang, Song YiRen

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default Ever Night S2 (2020) Dylan Wang, Song YiRen

    Same opening theme. S1 was actually pretty awesome coming from having watched Joy of Life. All the good XianXia stuff that Joy of Life left out/never touched. Methinks I prefer Dylan Wang as Ning Que than Arthur Chen. The latter seemed overtly cocky on the screen to me. Too bad old Ye Hong Yu never returned for S2. The new actress doesn't have the same charisma, but my her scene was really bad arse in Ep 1 on the same level as Uncle Wu Zhu being a bad arse in Joy of Life.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Same opening theme. S1 was actually pretty awesome coming from having watched Joy of Life. All the good XianXia stuff that Joy of Life left out/never touched. Methinks I prefer Dylan Wang as Ning Que than Arthur Chen. The latter seemed overtly cocky on the screen to me. Too bad old Ye Hong Yu never returned for S2. The new actress doesn't have the same charisma, but my her scene was really bad arse in Ep 1 on the same level as Uncle Wu Zhu being a bad arse in Joy of Life.
    I meant Ep1 not S1 in the 2nd sentenced.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    click to show/hide spoilers
    Something I forgot to mention. I really hated that priest of light in S1, the one that was always complaining in front of the masked char that sat on the throne. I'm glad they killed him off right away in the first Ep of S2.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Douban ratings don't look good.

    S1 7.5/47k votes
    S2 5.4/10k votes (only 12 EPs w ENG sub so far)

    I'm still enjoying S2 far more than S1. I did drop S1 after they started arguing between MSS and SangSang, but eventually finished it out of boredom...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    So, I am up to Ep 16 in S2. I simply don't understand the negative/bad ratings of S2 on douban. They took a more liberal approach in S2 packing in as much action sequences as possible after setting up the chars and environments in S1. Even CGI looks incredibly well done. Princess Agents and Three Lives Three Worlds drama version definitely deserved those rotten scores on douban not Ever Night S2!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    So, I am up to Ep 16 in S2. I simply don't understand the negative/bad ratings of S2 on douban. They took a more liberal approach in S2 packing in as much action sequences as possible after setting up the chars and environments in S1. Even CGI looks incredibly well done. Princess Agents and Three Lives Three Worlds drama version definitely deserved those rotten scores on douban not Ever Night S2!!
    the negative rating is because they change half of the actors/actress

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    the negative rating is because they change half of the actors/actress
    It's just not the change of cast. If you read Douban and Zhihu, the plot/writing and directing are much criticized too. The approval rating in Zhihu is a bit better than Douban at 69% (in comparison, EN1's approval rating is 79%).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    So I've seen the first 30 Episodes and can now sort of understand the bad ratings. S2 is mostly one of those cool but forgettable action series. Everyone got a chance to show off their personal powers, and the fight scenes were cool. But it's missing what made The Untamed great: Love stories. Platonic love stories between WWX and YanLi, platonic love stories between WWX and Lan Zhan. Joy of life had this formula too: Fan Xian and his sister, Fan Xian and Saintess of Bei Qi. Ever Night S2 it seems lacks the love story elements... Or they're not as developed as the former series.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-18-20, 10:17 AM
  2. 谍影藏龙之精武飞鸿 Dylan guo , Peter ho
    By mianid in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-28-11, 09:31 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-13-09, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •