Thread: Ever Night S2 (2020) Dylan Wang, Song YiRen

Banned

Default Ever Night S2 (2020) Dylan Wang, Song YiRen

Same opening theme. S1 was actually pretty awesome coming from having watched Joy of Life. All the good XianXia stuff that Joy of Life left out/never touched. Methinks I prefer Dylan Wang as Ning Que than Arthur Chen. The latter seemed overtly cocky on the screen to me. Too bad old Ye Hong Yu never returned for S2. The new actress doesn't have the same charisma, but my her scene was really bad arse in Ep 1 on the same level as Uncle Wu Zhu being a bad arse in Joy of Life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    Same opening theme. S1 was actually pretty awesome coming from having watched Joy of Life. All the good XianXia stuff that Joy of Life left out/never touched. Methinks I prefer Dylan Wang as Ning Que than Arthur Chen. The latter seemed overtly cocky on the screen to me. Too bad old Ye Hong Yu never returned for S2. The new actress doesn't have the same charisma, but my her scene was really bad arse in Ep 1 on the same level as Uncle Wu Zhu being a bad arse in Joy of Life.
    I meant Ep1 not S1 in the 2nd sentenced.

Banned

click to show/hide spoilers
    Something I forgot to mention. I really hated that priest of light in S1, the one that was always complaining in front of the masked char that sat on the throne. I'm glad they killed him off right away in the first Ep of S2.

Banned

Douban ratings don't look good.

S1 7.5/47k votes
    S2 5.4/10k votes (only 12 EPs w ENG sub so far)

I'm still enjoying S2 far more than S1. I did drop S1 after they started arguing between MSS and SangSang, but eventually finished it out of boredom...

Banned

So, I am up to Ep 16 in S2. I simply don't understand the negative/bad ratings of S2 on douban. They took a more liberal approach in S2 packing in as much action sequences as possible after setting up the chars and environments in S1. Even CGI looks incredibly well done. Princess Agents and Three Lives Three Worlds drama version definitely deserved those rotten scores on douban not Ever Night S2!!

Quote Originally Posted by hirobo2 View Post
    So, I am up to Ep 16 in S2. I simply don't understand the negative/bad ratings of S2 on douban. They took a more liberal approach in S2 packing in as much action sequences as possible after setting up the chars and environments in S1. Even CGI looks incredibly well done. Princess Agents and Three Lives Three Worlds drama version definitely deserved those rotten scores on douban not Ever Night S2!!
    the negative rating is because they change half of the actors/actress

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    the negative rating is because they change half of the actors/actress
    It's just not the change of cast. If you read Douban and Zhihu, the plot/writing and directing are much criticized too. The approval rating in Zhihu is a bit better than Douban at 69% (in comparison, EN1's approval rating is 79%).

Banned

So I've seen the first 30 Episodes and can now sort of understand the bad ratings. S2 is mostly one of those cool but forgettable action series. Everyone got a chance to show off their personal powers, and the fight scenes were cool. But it's missing what made The Untamed great: Love stories. Platonic love stories between WWX and YanLi, platonic love stories between WWX and Lan Zhan. Joy of life had this formula too: Fan Xian and his sister, Fan Xian and Saintess of Bei Qi. Ever Night S2 it seems lacks the love story elements... Or they're not as developed as the former series.

Banned

Watching Sang Sang got a split personality got me thinking... What if someone made a "remake" of RoCH? Where XLN and LiMochou are actually split personalities of one woman, and same with their lovers, YG is a split personality of LMC's lover... Wouldn't that make for a good psychological thriller series?

Banned

I'm at Ep 34. Just watched Ep42 preview. Wow... Things Mao Ni stole from RoCH:

Ning Que/Sang Sang's teachers in S1 = Ouyang Feng + Hong Qigong (they both died together on a field)
    Ye Hongyu got raped XLN-style, faces her rapist the High Priest in Ep 42.
    Jun Mo lost an arm.
    Haotian = XLN (cold has no emotions, wears white)

At this point, I am willing to agree with the 5.6 score S2 got on Douban. Too many RoCH spoofs/rip-offs left and right. Has the entertainment industry got nothing to do but rehash Jin Yong derivative works time and time again?

C-Ent. author: I need to write something to make money... I know, I will write a RoCH spoof!

D'Oh!!
    Last edited by hirobo2; 02-20-20 at 10:14 PM.

Banned

Waiting on release of last Ep. I watched a clip so already knows how S2 will end. I like S2 more than S1. Not once did I consider dropping the series. I especially like how Mao Ni copied Lord of the Rings ("killed off" the wizard/aka Fuzi so the other chars get a chance to grow). My fav. Parts were watching the Academy fend for themselves and Tang.

It's good that S2 ranked among top 10 online viewership for several weeks. It means were actually gonna get S3, not b at the mercy of the lead star for another sequel unlike other idol dramas!

Banned

BTW, in the novel Ning Que ends up with Ye Hongyu, the girl that got raped. Beside him losing an arm, that's toooooooo hard core RoCH spoof. These silly authors ought to stop copying Jin Yong. That's all they ever do...

Lastly, S2 gave away y Mao Ni is a noob writer. If we think of Drunkard as the Dragon Saber, while Butcher is the Heaven Sword. Mao Ni creates them just to get killed. But Jin Yong made them to synthesize the secret stuff inside. If it was Jin Yong, Long Qing would have tried to absord their powers while Butcher and Drunkard were being killed. Then something goes wrong, and Chao Xiaoshu ends up with both their powers. When combined their together power = much stronger than either Butcher or Drunkard. Jin Yong creates two stuff/chars to synthesize something new by combining, but Mao Ni just kills them off/destroys them for no reason = noob writer.