+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Writing Reviews

  1. #21
    Administrator spcnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    Thanks zutalor for the hand of justice.
    -SC

  2. #22
    Senior Member junzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    508

    Default

    Maybe spcnet could consider putting the reviews and translations in PDF format??? Would this help to prevent people from plagiarizing?

  3. #23
    Moderator CrazyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    PDF format? Wah, that's a lot of work. And then people will need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader just to view the reviews. The load time alone is enough to deter me from reading, much less downloading and installing a software.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Dagger Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,994

    Default

    Hey SC, would you mind if I put the pictures for the reviews because I know some sites where I can get it and I have plenty of free time.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    M'sia
    Posts
    66

    Question

    a question for the editors, just wondering if u'd like reviews to be short or a detailed one?

  6. #26
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buster_t
    a question for the editors, just wondering if u'd like reviews to be short or a detailed one?
    We have no preference, but please ensure that your review fulfils the guidelines stated here and that it has been run through spell and grammar check before submission.
    夏雪宜

  7. #27
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Question to editors:

    How long does it take before a review is edited and made live??

    I have a desire to review all of the sudden, and don't want to overload you guys. I have already drafted a review of, Musa - The Warrior, Bichunmoo, Hero for editing.

    But I will do more later. Mainly wuxia stuff in my DVD collection. Also do I make an effort to find the pictures for the reviews or do you guys?? I generally like pictures with the reviews I submit (and lots of them)....
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

  8. #28
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Question to editors:

    How long does it take before a review is edited and made live??

    I have a desire to review all of the sudden, and don't want to overload you guys. I have already drafted a review of, Musa - The Warrior, Bichunmoo, Hero for editing.

    But I will do more later. Mainly wuxia stuff in my DVD collection. Also do I make an effort to find the pictures for the reviews or do you guys?? I generally like pictures with the reviews I submit (and lots of them)....
    Just send the reviews along, spell-checked and all. If you have pictures, submit them as well, just make sure the links work.

    We can't guarantee your review will appear, say, in the week after you have submitted, but unless your review falls outside of the guidelines, there shouldn't be a problem to it appearing on the site.
    夏雪宜

  9. #29
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Just send the reviews along, spell-checked and all. If you have pictures, submit them as well, just make sure the links work.

    We can't guarantee your review will appear, say, in the week after you have submitted, but unless your review falls outside of the guidelines, there shouldn't be a problem to it appearing on the site.
    Thanks - I'm now since added my own review of "Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Next up will be "Warriors of Heaven and Earth".
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

  10. #30
    Senior Member Gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    711

    Default

    hi, i'm not sure if my recent reviews fit the guidelines. My latest two for Failan and Ditto may bother on being overly long and draggy so some feedback would be good with regards to my future reviews. Hope I didn't give the editors too much of a hard time..

  11. #31
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    hi, i'm not sure if my recent reviews fit the guidelines. My latest two for Failan and Ditto may bother on being overly long and draggy so some feedback would be good with regards to my future reviews. Hope I didn't give the editors too much of a hard time..
    Don't worry - I writer very LONG reviews

    So far sumbitted 8 and none are up....
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

  12. #32
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Don't worry - I writer very LONG reviews

    So far sumbitted 8 and none are up....
    PATIENCE is the key word. Don't rush the editors.

    And your reviews aren't long. You haven't seen long. Yours are okay compared to a certain reviewer's, whose name I shall not reveal.
    夏雪宜

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    M'sia
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junny
    PATIENCE is the key word. Don't rush the editors.

    And your reviews aren't long. You haven't seen long. Yours are okay compared to a certain reviewer's, whose name I shall not reveal.

    so, how long is considered as LONG?
    are mine LONG?

  14. #34
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buster_t
    so, how long is considered as LONG?
    Are you guys trying to piss off the editors by vying who can write the longest review?

    The quality of a review does not lie in its length.


    Quote Originally Posted by buster_t
    are mine LONG?
    Don't remember seeing your reviews. I have freaking so many reviews to edit, I don't keep track.
    夏雪宜

  15. #35
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by junny
    The quality of a review does not lie in its length.
    Hey what's with this... My reviews are always "quality"...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

  16. #36
    Senior Member junny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    With Max
    Posts
    2,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Hey what's with this... My reviews are always "quality"...
    That's not always for you to decide, is it?
    夏雪宜

  17. #37
    Administrator spcnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    My own guidelines for when I write a review: Try to keep the synopsis portion of the review a brief summary and to concentrate more on the analysis/opinion portion.

    I tend to like reading reviews that bring up new points about a production or give a really good evaluation of it--whether I agree or not. Interesting usage of language and good grammar/spelling doesn't hurt either. That's my idea of a 'quality' review. Please share yours.

    To Long and other reviewers who are waiting for their reviews to go up live: We are trying our best to update reviews as soon as possible outside real life but unfortunately, can only do this on the side which is why there is a backlog often.
    -SC

  18. #38
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    My own guidelines for when I write a review: Try to keep the synopsis portion of the review a brief summary and to concentrate more on the analysis/opinion portion.

    I tend to like reading reviews that bring up new points about a production or give a really good evaluation of it--whether I agree or not. Interesting usage of language and good grammar/spelling doesn't hurt either. That's my idea of a 'quality' review. Please share yours.

    To Long and other reviewers who are waiting for their reviews to go up live: We are trying our best to update reviews as soon as possible outside real life but unfortunately, can only do this on the side which is why there is a backlog often.
    Thanks spcnet - having grown up in a large family, where brothers/sisters, and mothers like to pick up the remote and fast foward to the ending to fnd out what happens before actually watching the movie, I tend to:

    1. Give people a complete and lengthy summary of the whole movie; and
    2. Then talk about pros and cons.

    That way people who like fast forwarding know the story, and then can enjoy it in peace. I'm a "spoiler" so people who don't want to know what happens shouldn't read the summary, and just my comments.

    I don't mind when my reviews becoming live - I was just joking with you mods - I know you guys have a hard task - trying to balance personal, career/uni, with this site...

    Trust me - I've had plenty of emails from people asking when my next fanfic update will be..... So I can only assume the volume of work you guys have, and appreciate it...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

  19. #39
    Administrator spcnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,889

    Default

    Yeah, a lot of times, visitors enjoy the lengthy summary because they wish to find out about the story/ending, etc. It caters to one group of visitors who care more about the summary than the analysis but it is also something that can take over a review and focus too little on the actual opinion part--which is what this site is about. I am still unresolved regarding this and open to some suggestions actually.

    Adding an extra text field called "Summary" and then another called "Analysis" might be one so that we can add an anchor link on review pages to skip straight to the opinion/comments section of a review is one. The only problem is that that takes away some creativity on the part of the reviewer to transition the review as one likes.

    Another option I thought of was to perhaps allow reviewers to write pure "summaries" and "reviews" and that these will become separate sections on the site where visitors who want to read summaries go to one place, and those who want to read opinions go to another. But then it is hard to separate a review from a summary sometimes if they contain both.
    -SC

  20. #40
    Senior Member Long's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    Yeah, a lot of times, visitors enjoy the lengthy summary because they wish to find out about the story/ending, etc. It caters to one group of visitors who care more about the summary than the analysis but it is also something that can take over a review and focus too little on the actual opinion part--which is what this site is about. I am still unresolved regarding this and open to some suggestions actually.

    Adding an extra text field called "Summary" and then another called "Analysis" might be one so that we can add an anchor link on review pages to skip straight to the opinion/comments section of a review is one. The only problem is that that takes away some creativity on the part of the reviewer to transition the review as one likes.

    Another option I thought of was to perhaps allow reviewers to write pure "summaries" and "reviews" and that these will become separate sections on the site where visitors who want to read summaries go to one place, and those who want to read opinions go to another. But then it is hard to separate a review from a summary sometimes if they contain both.
    Spcnet - Gosh sounds like wonderful ideas... Would realy improve the site...

    Putting on my managers hat now - but wouldn't that create a whole lot more work for you and the few editors on the site to administer?? It's doubling your workload, when people chose to write both a summary and a review...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-14-11, 05:38 AM
  2. First attempt at writing
    By naruto1029 in forum Fan Fictions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-23-09, 10:22 PM
  3. Writing Resumes Tips
    By Suet Seung in forum Academia
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-29-08, 06:28 AM
  4. Most impressive writing on stone
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-12-06, 04:25 AM
  5. Registration for review writing
    By Ian Liew in forum Technical Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-15-04, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts