Thread: DGSD: how good were the martial arts of Ohr Bak Sui, really?

Default DGSD: how good were the martial arts of Ohr Bak Sui, really?

Ohr Bak Sui, the leader of the "Falling Cow Sect" (yeah, really), was murdered by Mo Yung Bok, who used Ohr's own signature whip skill against him (the Mo Yung Family's infamous "Thy Way Upon Thyself"). When Golden Abacus Tsui and Soul-Chasing Whip Gor discussed the murder with Prince Deun Jing Tsun of Dali, Prince Deun wondered aloud, "Whose martial arts could be so advanced that even Master Ohr couldn't defeat him?"

Prince Deun's remark makes it sound like Ohr was some invincible wulin elite, but I doubt Ohr was anywhere near as good to merit such praise. Ohr Bak Sui was unlikely to be able to credibly sustain the kind of reputation such a flattering remark suggests in a wulin world that knowingly hosted Kiu Fung, Kau Mor Tze, the six monks at Heavenly Dragon Temple, the Yeun-generation monks at Shaolin, Deun Yin Hing, King Deun Jing Ming, and Ding Chun Chou (we'll leave out the unknowns such as the Janitor Monk, the Siu Yiu Sect Elders, Siu Yeun San, and Mo Yung Bok, and the up-and-comings such as Deun Yu, Hui Juk, and Yau Tan Tze). I guess Prince Deun was just being courteous and respectful per wulin etiquette, but I reckon that Ohr Bak Sui was probably only a little better than the three junior Great Evils. At most, I'd allow that he was perhaps as good as a Yeun-generation Shaolin monk.

usually someone martial arts skill is not too far from his martial brother, so i think he is only a little bit better than his martial brother, not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    usually someone martial arts skill is not too far from his martial brother, so i think he is only a little bit better than his martial brother, not that good.
    That's what I'm thinking too, and yet Prince Deun made a big deal about it, saying something to the effect of "OMG! I can't believe someone can actually defeat Elder Ohr!"

It seems that in the world of DGSD, a few dozen people would easily defeat Ohr Bak Sui one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's what I'm thinking too, and yet Prince Deun made a big deal about it, saying something to the effect of "OMG! I can't believe someone can actually defeat Elder Ohr!"

It seems that in the world of DGSD, a few dozen people would easily defeat Ohr Bak Sui one-on-one.

- Because in that region, there was nobody he knew who was better AND could be bothered to fight Ke Baisui.

- Because he didn't want to offend the scrubs (who kung fu was maybe below Ke) he was speaking with by saying 'Aww Ke was crap, any 3rd rate goon could have done it'.

- I believe it was named after the mountain. The mountain was called 'falling cow' sure, but the sect was named after the mountain rather than a falling cow. In fact, given how Chinese grammar works, the proper translation should be Mountain which causes cattle to fall IMHO.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Why *did* Mo Yung Bok target Ohr Bak Sui in the first place? The whole plan to instigate chaos in wulin to pave the way for the restoration of the Yin Kingdom was quarter-baked in the first place, but at least going after high-profile targets such as Yeun-generation Shaolin monks and an important citizen (Siu Yeun San) of the Liao Empire made some kind of sense due to their importance in wulin and/or international relations, but Ohr Bak Sui was small change. The net effect of killing Ohr was to give Mo Yung F'uk headaches, which I'm pretty confident wasn't Mo Yung Bok's objective.

My analysis and hypothesis for why MRB stupidly used his signature art against Ke Baisui: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...l=1#post935839

As for Ke's MA level, just remember someone like Qing Hongmian also had a fearsome reputation in wulin as the Ashura Blade!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    My analysis and hypothesis for why MRB stupidly used his signature art against Ke Baisui: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...l=1#post935839

As for Ke's MA level, just remember someone like Qing Hongmian also had a fearsome reputation in wulin as the Ashura Blade!
    I'm starting to get the impression that the Mo Yung Family was grossly incompetent. NOTHING they ever did showed meticulous planning. They were a family of stumblebums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I'm starting to get the impression that the Mo Yung Family was grossly incompetent. NOTHING they ever did showed meticulous planning. They were a family of stumble bums.
    They suffered severely from plot anti-armor.

Actually, if I was JY. I probably would have changed the plot to let MRF somehow trick the situation into getting Wuyazi's inner power, making him superstrong and have XZ somehow still get both TSTL's and LQS's teachings and inner power.
    Last edited by CC; 01-21-20 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Come to think of it, Asura Blade is a really cool name. Reminds me of some super powered Japanese Mange/Anime title.

However, I am not sure if 修羅 should really be translated to Asura. Asura should be 阿修羅。I think the meaning is different in Buddhist terminology but I am not the expert.
    Last edited by CC; 01-21-20 at 06:12 AM.