Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: DGSD novel and DGSD '81 TVB adaptation: different character death tolls

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,735

    Default DGSD novel and DGSD '81 TVB adaptation: different character death tolls

    TVB's 1981 adaptation of DGSD notoriously deviated wildly from the novel towards the end of the story, but what was also very different in the adaptation is which characters died. The adaptation killed off many more characters than the original novel did, though there were a few instances where the reverse happened (e.g. characters who survived in the series died in the novel).

    DGSD characters who died in the novel, but survived in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

    Prince Deun Jing Tsun

    Pau But Tung (wasn't seen again after the Beggar's Union meeting at Apricot Forest, but nothing was mentioned about his dying).

    DGSD characters who survived in the novel, but died in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

    Janitor Monk

    Siu Yeun San

    Mo Yung Bok

    Mo Yung F'uk

    Deun Yin Hing

    Muk Yeun Ching

    Boss Wu of the 36 Caves and 72 Islands

    One of the four swordswomen of the Vulture Palace

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    TVB's 1981 adaptation of DGSD notoriously deviated wildly from the novel towards the end of the story, but what was also very different in the adaptation is which characters died. The adaptation killed off many more characters than the original novel did, though there were a few instances where the reverse happened (e.g. characters who survived in series died in the novel).

    DGSD characters who died in the novel, but survived in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

    Prince Deun Jing Tsun

    Pau But Tung (wasn't seen again after the Beggar's Union meeting at Apricot Forest, but nothing was mentioned about his dying).

    DGSD characters who survived in the novel, but died in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

    Janitor Monk

    Siu Yeun San

    Mo Yung Bok

    Mo Yung F'uk

    Deun Yin Hing

    Muk Yeun Ching

    Boss Wu of the 36 Caves and 72 Islands

    One of the four swordswomen of the Vulture Palace
    Three of the four Vulture Palace swordswomen (Orchid, Chrysanthemum and Bamboo Swords) were killed, sadly, and only Plum Sword survived. Boss Wu and his fellow Cave leader died in the same fight - not sure if the other leader was named.

    I always wondered why Duan Zhengchun survived - Patrick Tse was too popular to kill off? I recall being shocked when Poon Chi Man died in the 97 edition, as I hadn't read the novel yet and had no idea that Duan Zhengchun died...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,088

    Default

    I did watch these series. Can't remember the details. Surprised that Mu Wanqing died too?

  4. #4
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I did watch these series. Can't remember the details. Surprised that Mu Wanqing died too?
    Yes...essentially, she and Mo Yung F'uk killed each other. Mo Yung F'uk had set up the mother of all death traps for Deun Yu (flying circular saws that would cut him to pieces), but thanks to Muk Yeun Ching's interference, Deun Yu was saved and Mo Yung F'uk fell victim to his own death trap. Unfortunately, Mo Yung F'uk succeeded in striking a mortal blow on Muk Yeun Ching before the death trap got him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yes...essentially, she and Mo Yung F'uk killed each other. Mo Yung F'uk had set up the mother of all death traps for Deun Yu (flying circular saws that would cut him to pieces), but thanks to Muk Yeun Ching's interference, Deun Yu was saved and Mo Yung F'uk fell victim to his own death trap. Unfortunately, Mo Yung F'uk succeeded in striking a mortal blow on Muk Yeun Ching before the death trap got him.
    I don't remember flying buzzsaw trap. Is this bit available on youtube?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  6. #6
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I don't remember flying buzzsaw trap. Is this bit available on youtube?
    A year ago, the series was available on TVB's official wuxia series YouTube page. Alas, DGSD '81 was pulled from the rotation some months ago. If you are able to find another site where the series is hosted, I can direct you to the scene.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-16, 08:30 PM
  2. Should a wuxia novel/adaptation have a happy-ending?
    By RongYingMin in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-29-15, 11:28 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-11, 12:04 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-10, 04:51 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-19-09, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •