Thread: DGSD novel and DGSD '81 TVB adaptation: different character death tolls

Default DGSD novel and DGSD '81 TVB adaptation: different character death tolls

TVB's 1981 adaptation of DGSD notoriously deviated wildly from the novel towards the end of the story, but what was also very different in the adaptation is which characters died. The adaptation killed off many more characters than the original novel did, though there were a few instances where the reverse happened (e.g. characters who survived in the series died in the novel).

DGSD characters who died in the novel, but survived in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

Prince Deun Jing Tsun

Pau But Tung (wasn't seen again after the Beggar's Union meeting at Apricot Forest, but nothing was mentioned about his dying).

DGSD characters who survived in the novel, but died in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

Janitor Monk

Siu Yeun San

Mo Yung Bok

Mo Yung F'uk

Deun Yin Hing

Muk Yeun Ching

Boss Wu of the 36 Caves and 72 Islands

One of the four swordswomen of the Vulture Palace

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    TVB's 1981 adaptation of DGSD notoriously deviated wildly from the novel towards the end of the story, but what was also very different in the adaptation is which characters died. The adaptation killed off many more characters than the original novel did, though there were a few instances where the reverse happened (e.g. characters who survived in series died in the novel).

DGSD characters who died in the novel, but survived in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

Prince Deun Jing Tsun

Pau But Tung (wasn't seen again after the Beggar's Union meeting at Apricot Forest, but nothing was mentioned about his dying).

DGSD characters who survived in the novel, but died in the DGSD '81 adaptation:

Janitor Monk

Siu Yeun San

Mo Yung Bok

Mo Yung F'uk

Deun Yin Hing

Muk Yeun Ching

Boss Wu of the 36 Caves and 72 Islands

One of the four swordswomen of the Vulture Palace
    Three of the four Vulture Palace swordswomen (Orchid, Chrysanthemum and Bamboo Swords) were killed, sadly, and only Plum Sword survived. Boss Wu and his fellow Cave leader died in the same fight - not sure if the other leader was named.

I always wondered why Duan Zhengchun survived - Patrick Tse was too popular to kill off? I recall being shocked when Poon Chi Man died in the 97 edition, as I hadn't read the novel yet and had no idea that Duan Zhengchun died...

I did watch these series. Can't remember the details. Surprised that Mu Wanqing died too?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I did watch these series. Can't remember the details. Surprised that Mu Wanqing died too?
    Yes...essentially, she and Mo Yung F'uk killed each other. Mo Yung F'uk had set up the mother of all death traps for Deun Yu (flying circular saws that would cut him to pieces), but thanks to Muk Yeun Ching's interference, Deun Yu was saved and Mo Yung F'uk fell victim to his own death trap. Unfortunately, Mo Yung F'uk succeeded in striking a mortal blow on Muk Yeun Ching before the death trap got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yes...essentially, she and Mo Yung F'uk killed each other. Mo Yung F'uk had set up the mother of all death traps for Deun Yu (flying circular saws that would cut him to pieces), but thanks to Muk Yeun Ching's interference, Deun Yu was saved and Mo Yung F'uk fell victim to his own death trap. Unfortunately, Mo Yung F'uk succeeded in striking a mortal blow on Muk Yeun Ching before the death trap got him.
    I don't remember flying buzzsaw trap. Is this bit available on youtube?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I don't remember flying buzzsaw trap. Is this bit available on youtube?
    A year ago, the series was available on TVB's official wuxia series YouTube page. Alas, DGSD '81 was pulled from the rotation some months ago. If you are able to find another site where the series is hosted, I can direct you to the scene.