Thread: Siu Fung being brothers with Yeh Lut Hung Gei and Yeun Nan Akuta.

Default Siu Fung being brothers with Yeh Lut Hung Gei and Yeun Nan Akuta.

Siu Fung became sworn brothers with both Yeh Lut Hung Gei, the Emperor of the Khitan Liao Empire, and Yeun Nan Akuta, the chieftain of the Jurchen tribe that would, a few decades later, conquer the Liao Empire and found the Jin Empire.

Given Siu Fung's personality and inclinations, it's likely that he didn't think twice about becoming sworn brothers with the leaders of the Khitan and Jurchen peoples. I wonder if Siu Fung was even aware of the conflict between the Yeh Lut and Yeun Nan clans, a conflict that was still active 130 years later during the timeframe of ROCH.

Interestingly, Siu Fung's sworn brothers included the rulers of the Liao Empire, the Jin Empire, and Dali Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Interestingly, Siu Fung's sworn brothers included the rulers of the Liao Empire, the Jin Empire, and Dali Kingdom.
    ... and members of the Xixia Royal Family.

I wonder if Siu Fung was even aware of the conflict between the Yeh Lut and Yeun Nan clans, a conflict that was still active 130 years later during the timeframe of ROCH.
    Of course he was aware. He only met Yelu because he was with Wanyan when Yelu attacked. Did TVB miss this out in the 83 series?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I wonder if Siu Fung was even aware of the conflict between the Yeh Lut and Yeun Nan clans, a conflict that was still active 130 years later during the timeframe of ROCH.
    Sorry, Ken. I am lost at this part. Isn't XF dead by then? If so, how is he going to be aware? Or the conflict was already happening between these two tribes when he was alive? I can't remember the part of sworn brothership with Jurchen.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Of course he was aware. He only met Yelu because he was with Wanyan when Yelu attacked. Did TVB miss this out in the 83 series?
    Yeun Nan Akuta did not appear and was not even mentioned in DGSD '81. The series completely omitted the character. I was unaware of Yeun Nan Akuta's existence until many, many years later.

The only reference to the Jurchen tribe in DGSD '81 was an offhand remark by Mo Yung F'uk when he discussed with Wong Yu Yin his ambition to conquer Liao, Sung, Hsi-Hsia, the Jurchens, Turfan, and Dali. Other than that, there was no other reference to the Jurchens.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Sorry, Ken. I am lost at this part. Isn't XF dead by then? If so, how is he going to be aware? Or the conflict was already happening between these two tribes when he was alive? I can't remember the part of sworn brothership with Jurchen.
    DGSD '81, as indicated above, omitted Yeun Nan Akuta and the Jurchens from the story altogether. Historically, however, the Khitans and the Jurchens had been rivals long before the timeframe of DGSD, and it was only around 25 years after DGSD's ending that the the Jurchen Jin Empire would rise and bring an end to the Khitan Liao Empire. We saw the aftermath of this conflict even generations later in the subplot of Yeh Lut Chai and Yeun Nan Ping in ROCH.

Y
    DGSD '81, as indicated above, omitted Yeun Nan Akuta and the Jurchens from the story altogether. Historically, however, the Khitan and the Jurchens had been rivals long before the timeframe of DGSD, and it was only around 25 years after DGSD's ending that the the Jurchen Jin Empire would rise and bring an end to the Khitan Liao Empire. We saw the aftermath of this conflict even generations later in the subplot of Yeh Lut Chai and Yeun Nan Ping in ROCH.
    In that case, I believe XF formed the sworn brotherhood with Jurchen first before knowing that he is a Khitan. Correct?
    If there is any fighting between Jurchen and Khitan, XF will likely to support the latter and renounce his sworn brotherhood with Jurchen. It's just that no fighting occurred before his death. Sounds logical?

In that case, I believe XF formed the sworn brotherhood with Jurchen first before knowing that he is a Khitan. Correct?
    CC's comment above indicates he met both Yeh Lut and Yeun Nan at the same time. I had no independent knowledge of how Siu Fung met Yeun Nan Akuta.

CC's comment above indicates he met both Yeh Lut and Yeun Nan at the same time. I had no independent knowledge of how Siu Fung met Yeun Nan Akuta.
    He knew he was a Khitan from early in the book. He and Ah Zi were staying with Wanyan and he had already sworn brotherhood with Wanyan when the Khitans attacked.

He met WYAGD when he was wandering around with Ah Zi, WYAGD saw how he barehandedly smashed a tiger (or was it bear?) and was impressed and took him in.
    Last edited by CC; 03-13-20 at 12:37 PM.

I wonder if he wanted to, he could gather all those empires together and form his own nation, since all his sworn brothers looked up to him. He would have be able to take over China

He met WYAGD when he was wandering around with Ah Zi, WYAGD saw how he barehandedly smashed a tiger (or was it bear?) and was impressed and took him in.
    DGSD '81 skipped over this entirely. There was no Yeun Nan Akuta, though a much, much reduced version of his role was given to a Han hunter surnamed "Wong," from whom Siu Fung and Ah Tze temporarily rented a room while Ah Tze recovered from injuries sustained from an accidental strike from Siu Fung's palms.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    I wonder if he wanted to, he could gather all those empires together and form his own nation, since all his sworn brothers looked up to him. He would have be able to take over China
    Siu Fung isn't Mo Yung F'uk; he didn't have that kind of ambition.

It's ironic: Siu Fung had everything that Mo Yung F'uk wanted, but could never have, but Siu Fung didn't want any of those things. Such is DGSD.

Siu Fung isn't Mo Yung F'uk; he didn't have that kind of ambition.

It's ironic: Siu Fung had everything that Mo Yung F'uk wanted, but could never have, but Siu Fung didn't want any of those things. Such is DGSD.
    MYF got to grow up with Ah Zhu around. Bet XF would have swapped a lot for that.

MYF got to grow up with Ah Zhu around. Bet XF would have swapped a lot for that.
    In retrospect...maybe, but maybe not. When Kiu Fung first met Ah Chu, he found her unremarkable (as he did all women). It was only after she joined him in his search for the truth of his past and to find his true enemy that he developed affection for her. It was quite refreshingly contrary to the typical "love at first sight" trope so common in wuxia. These two didn't fall in love from the get-go; they had to grow on each other.