Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How GJ and YH would have grown up if the tragedy of Ox Village had never occurred?

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,966

    Default How GJ and YH would have grown up if the tragedy of Ox Village had never occurred?

    How do you imagine Gwok Jing and Yeung Hong would have grown up had the tragedy of Ox Village never occurred? If both young men had been raised by their natural parents in Ox Village, what paths would they have taken in life?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,246

    Default

    They will be like WXB and Kangxi touring the world.

  3. #3
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    They will be like WXB and Kangxi touring the world.
    I do wonder if they would have sought martial arts teachers beyond their fathers, whose martial arts skills were very limited. Perhaps they would have both sought out training from Yau Chui Gei.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    How do you imagine Gwok Jing and Yeung Hong would have grown up had the tragedy of Ox Village never occurred? If both young men had been raised by their natural parents in Ox Village, what paths would they have taken in life?
    the biggest change is the mongolians would never ruled china since genghis khan would had died to the 4 yellow river guys. without the mongols, the jin would had easily taken china from the song (especially with yue fei's war book). but before the jin dynasty rule china, im sure both GJ and YG would enlist in the army due to their parents loyalty to song and since their martial arts sucks, they will both die fighting the jin army.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

    Entries due July 31st, 2016!

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    the biggest change is the mongolians would never ruled china since genghis khan would had died to the 4 yellow river guys. without the mongols, the jin would had easily taken china from the song (especially with yue fei's war book). but before the jin dynasty rule china, im sure both GJ and YG would enlist in the army due to their parents loyalty to song and since their martial arts sucks, they will both die fighting the jin army.
    The Mongol conquest of China was meant to happen in history, so even if Gwok Jing were not present, something else would have preserved Genghis Khan's life long enough for him to launch his invasion plans.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Mongol conquest of China was meant to happen in history, so even if Gwok Jing were not present, something else would have preserved Genghis Khan's life long enough for him to launch his invasion plans.
    I guess we can't change history. For the Mongols, they should have stay in their homeland and enjoy their nomadic life for good. They are far worse off few generations after the invasion.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I guess we can't change history. For the Mongols, they should have stay in their homeland and enjoy their nomadic life for good. They are far worse off few generations after the invasion.
    Do you live in your ancestral land? Is Trien Chieu a native Canadian name?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Do you live in your ancestral land? Is Trien Chieu a native Canadian name?
    We are Teochew Chinese from Vietnam. My family emigrated to Canada in the early 1990s. We did not invade Canada. We did not loot/rob the local people like the Mongols did. We believe in work for a living. If the Mongols moved to Jin or Song and worked for a living, the local people would not go after them either. Here in Canada, Mongolian Hot Pot is very popular. Lot of people enjoy it. If they opened Mongolian Hot Pot in Jin or Song kingdoms, local people would welcome them.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    We are Teochew Chinese from Vietnam. My family emigrated to Canada in the early 1990s. We did not invade Canada. We did not loot/rob the local people like the Mongols did. We believe in work for a living. If the Mongols moved to Jin or Song and worked for a living, the local people would not go after them either. Here in Canada, Mongolian Hot Pot is very popular. Lot of people enjoy it. If they opened Mongolian Hot Pot in Jin or Song kingdoms, local people would welcome them.
    You said that the Mongols should have stayed in their homeland. Your family didn't. And talking about stealing and invading, have you heard of the little red horse? Jin Yong mentions a story in connection with that, in which the Han invaded and extorted.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    You said that the Mongols should have stayed in their homeland. Your family didn't. And talking about stealing and invading, have you heard of the little red horse? Jin Yong mentions a story in connection with that, in which the Han invaded and extorted.
    I said Mongols should not invade other countries. If they wanted to immigrate to Jin, Song or other countries to work for a living then they can. Local people would enjoy their Mongolian Hot Pot. What is Little RED Horse?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I said Mongols should not invade other countries. If they wanted to immigrate to Jin, Song or other countries to work for a living then they can. Local people would enjoy their Mongolian Hot Pot. What is Little RED Horse?
    Guo Jing's horse. Jin Yong refers to a war China (Han) fought against a horse trading nation, invading their territory and extracting an annual tribute of horses. What do you think of this?

    Edit: Have you ever read anything about Chinese history? Do you even know of, let's say Hong Kong history, within the 20th century?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Guo Jing's horse. Jin Yong refers to a war China (Han) fought against a horse trading nation, invading their territory and extracting an annual tribute of horses. What do you think of this?

    Edit: Have you ever read anything about Chinese history? Do you even know of, let's say Hong Kong history, within the 20th century?
    I know some history but not all. Regarding horse, I don't support Han invading other countries for their horses. The Han can always get their horses from other countries through trade. Life is short, enjoy every moment you have. Life is precious, don't go to war for things.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I know some history but not all. Regarding horse, I don't support Han invading other countries for their horses. The Han can always get their horses from other countries through trade. Life is short, enjoy every moment you have. Life is precious, don't go to war for things.
    The Han didn't get those horses through trade though. They invaded the horse trading nation, gave them a beating, and forced them to give these horses every year on pain of being invaded again.

    You keep being told that the way you see things being done is a purely modern phenomenon, that things were different in the past. I've been told by people who've experienced the past how things were, and they were different from the westernised world that you describe and assume to be the norm. And they were Hong Kongers, with as western an experience as any easterner of that age would have. If you visit the history museums in Hong Kong you'll learn that the way of thinking that you assume to be the norm wasn't the case even in Hong Kong as recently as the 20th century. When are you going to learn this history lesson? History is not ethics.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-19, 01:23 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-10-16, 03:27 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-13, 12:16 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-04-08, 11:13 PM
  5. Crazy Fan Brings Tragedy to Her Family
    By j-walker in forum Entertainment News
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 05-30-08, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •