Thread: Is Au Yeung Hak a popular villain? What accounts for his popularity?

Default Is Au Yeung Hak a popular villain? What accounts for his popularity?

Just based on the opinions of members here at this forum, Au Yeung Hak seems to be a fairly popular villain from LOCH. In fact, I would say that AYH's popularity outstrips that of the actual main villain of the story, Yeung Hong. What is the appeal of AYH's character?

His popularity may be due to the other Greats "respecting" him and being tricked by HR a few times - in the "saving of his "adopted" son" and learning of 9 Yin.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    His popularity may be due to the other Greats "respecting" him and being tricked by HR a few times - in the "saving of his "adopted" son" and learning of 9 Yin.
    We're discussing Au Yeung Hak (the nephew/son), not West Poison Au Yeung Fung.

Sorry about that. Then, he is not really a "villain". A irritable person who wanted to marry Huang Rong.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Sorry about that. Then, he is not really a "villain". A irritable person who wanted to marry Huang Rong.
    Many fans (at least here at SPCNET) seem to like the character. I don't dislike the character: he's an interesting foil/adversary for Gwok Jing and Wong Yung, but I also don't know what the charm of his character is for some fans.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

His status as an illegitimate son can encourage people's sympathy, I however think this does not balance out his rapist tendencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    His status as an illegitimate son can encourage people's sympathy, I however think this does not balance out his rapist tendencies.
    I wish Jin Yong had written him a bit differently. Could have made him a serial womanizer, not a rapist and also given him more martial arts ability so he could be a rival to Guo Jing.

One thing I don't like about Jin Yong is he wrote down the main character's similar-aged rivals too much. Murong Fu, Yang Kang, Ou Yangke, Song Qingshu, Lin Pingzhi all look pretty pathetic compared to the main character. Yang Guo doesn't even have a rival. I wish he had written the same aged bad guys to be more complex and with similar martial arts level as the main guys. I understand, though, that crafting a strong, dark, complex vilain is not Jin Yong's strong suit.

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    I wish Jin Yong had written him a bit differently. Could have made him a serial womanizer, not a rapist and also given him more martial arts ability so he could be a rival to Guo Jing.

One thing I don't like about Jin Yong is he wrote down the main character's similar-aged rivals too much. Murong Fu, Yang Kang, Ou Yangke, Song Qingshu, Lin Pingzhi all look pretty pathetic compared to the main character. Yang Guo doesn't even have a rival. I wish he had written the same aged bad guys to be more complex and with similar martial arts level as the main guys. I understand, though, that crafting a strong, dark, complex vilain is not Jin Yong's strong suit.
    For Yeung Gor, the closest character to fill this role was Fok Do, though I do understand that Fok Do was some years his senior and was probably closer to Gwok Jing's age than Yeung Gor's. Au Yeung Hak also had a good decade on Gwok Jing as well during LOCH.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post

Gu Long is generally better at creating villians.