Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LOCH '82 (TVB series) revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Two more subplots could have been drastically scaled back without losing much quality (probably would enhance it, actually): the Luk Gwoon Ying and Ching Yiu Ga subplot at Returning Clouds Manor, and the background story of South Emperor 1 Deng, Ying Goo, and Chow Bak Tung.

These subplots were in the LOCH novel, so I wouldn't drop them altogether, but I think both of them should have been condensed and scaled back a bit. Though they weren't necessarily bothersome, they did distract from the main plot for too long.
    The Lu Guanying and Cheng Yaojia subplot from LOCH 82 was not in the novel. In the novel, they first met each other at the Ox Family village (where GJ and HR were hiding to heal), and thanks to the intervention of HYS, decided to get married on the spot within minutes of meeting. LOCH '94 got this part spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Basically any part that shows the 'Evil' Mongolians in anything resembling a positive light you do not like. Just say it and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    She is hot, she is truly devoted to your son and her dad is the richest most powerful man in the land AND her dad and brother likes your son too. Most people can only dream of such a situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    How do you know this stuff? Are there memoirs from the period that you've read?
    Again you are showing your racist tendencies. How do you know that the nomadic people would not prefer to raise sheep/goats, breed horses and hunt game? It is a much safer life them going to war. What are you basing the idea that Han Chinese are mostly peace loving farmers from? Is it their habit to commit mass murder on unprecedented levels, or their love of poetry that glorify cannibalism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    It's pretty hard to read the mind of every person today let alone people that have lived 900 years ago.

For what we know, it could have been the opposite. The Mongolians only wanted to live a peaceful life, but the Hans had forced them into war and to protect themselves, the only option is to take out the Hans.

Who knows ... Nobody has live to today to tell the tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Two more subplots could have been drastically scaled back without losing much quality (probably would enhance it, actually): the Luk Gwoon Ying and Ching Yiu Ga subplot at Returning Clouds Manor, and the background story of South Emperor 1 Deng, Ying Goo, and Chow Bak Tung.

These subplots were in the LOCH novel, so I wouldn't drop them altogether, but I think both of them should have been condensed and scaled back a bit. Though they weren't necessarily bothersome, they did distract from the main plot for too long.
    These subplots are wonderful. They are very interesting. LOCH82 is so great because beside the interesting main characters we also have all the interesting subplots. I don't mind if they take out some story about conflicts between Genghis and his sworn brothers, but I don't want to miss any other subplot.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    The Lu Guanying and Cheng Yaojia subplot from LOCH 82 was not in the novel. In the novel, they first met each other at the Ox Family village (where GJ and HR were hiding to heal), and thanks to the intervention of HYS, decided to get married on the spot within minutes of meeting. LOCH '94 got this part spot on.
    I found the 1982 handling of this plot much more plausible, than either the novel or the 1994 version. The idea that LGY & CY having met for 5 seconds would agree to marrying each other is frankly ridiculous. It makes me wonder about HYS own courtship with his wife. Did he just meet her, found her beauty and intelligence acceptable, then just said "do you want to get hooked"? Or did he just decide he wanted her and took her from whatever life she had before without even bothering to ask?

The idea that LGY & CY having met for 5 seconds would agree to marrying each other is frankly ridiculous.
    Even Romeo and Juliet took longer; they took about 7.5 seconds.