Thread: Is it possible that Dook Goo Kau Bai was...a woman?

Default Is it possible that Dook Goo Kau Bai was...a woman?

Dook Goo Kau Bai never appeared in the flesh in Jin Yong's novels, and the default assumption of both fans and the characters who encountered the legacy is that DGKB was a man. I don't believe Jin Yong included any evidence to the contrary, but by the same token, I don't think Jin Yong presented any proof that DGKB *had* to be a man. Is it possible that the "Sword Demon" was a woman?

are you saying he is a DFBB kind of woman or XLN kind of woman? lol
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    are you saying he is a DFBB kind of woman or XLN kind of woman? lol
    More like Little Dragon Girl (well, not exactly her either...I was imagining more along the lines of Ah Ching). Dook Goo Kau Bai's techniques weren't the Qwai Fa Bo Deen; no need to sacrifice the testicles to learn them.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

If DGKB was a woman I would see her more like a Lin Chaoying type of heroine. However I doubt it because of the Heavy Sword. I think it extremely unlikely that a woman would develop a martial art based on overwhelming strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    However I doubt it because of the Heavy Sword. I think it extremely unlikely that a woman would develop a martial art based on overwhelming strength.
    But that's kind of a game/TV trope bias there again. Probably because you are thinking of a beautiful, thin and smaller statured pretty thing. Why cant she have been a big strong woman, like the Lady 'Budhha' from Dagger Li.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    But that's kind of a game/TV trope bias there again. Probably because you are thinking of a beautiful, thin and smaller statured pretty thing. Why cant she have been a big strong woman, like the Lady 'Budhha' from Dagger Li.
    Actually I was basing it on my experience in studying Martial Arts. I have practiced with both men and women and even when learning the same style the former generally lean towards strength while the latter speed. Now I concede that DGKB may have been an exceptionally strong woman, but the statistics make it unlikely.

Actually I was basing it on my experience in studying Martial Arts. I have practiced with both men and women and even when learning the same style the former generally lean towards strength while the latter speed. Now I concede that DGKB may have been an exceptionally strong woman, but the statistics make it unlikely.
    Yes but you are talking fantasy wuxia here, where you can have skinny old men with great force. Musculature helps but strong internals more than compensate.

Yes but you are talking fantasy wuxia here, where you can have skinny old men with great force. Musculature helps but strong internals more than compensate.
    Yet even within the genre, physical limitations still apply. Characters like Z3F while incredibly accomplished in martial arts are still handicapped by their age. I see no reason why gender limitations should not also apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    More like Little Dragon Girl (well, not exactly her either...I was imagining more along the lines of Ah Ching). Dook Goo Kau Bai's techniques weren't the Qwai Fa Bo Deen; no need to sacrifice the testicles to learn them.
    but he had no girlfriend/wife/kids... his sexuality orientation should be questioned as well!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    but he had no girlfriend/wife/kids... his sexuality orientation should be questioned as well!
    Given how little we know about him/her, it's possible that DGKB spawned a whole clan of people that we don't know about or simply do not know have any ties to him. DGKB is, in many ways, a mostly unfilled page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Given how little we know about him/her, it's possible that DGKB spawned a whole clan of people that we don't know about or simply do not know have any ties to him. DGKB is, in many ways, a mostly unfilled page.
    DGKB has been a man, a woman, a post DGSD Xuzhu, a pre LOCH Wang Chongyang, I god level swordsman, a wimp a child could kill with a letter opener and my pet theory that he was not one person at all. Thank you Jin Yong.

No, absolutely not. According to Kim Mo Tuk Ko Kau Pai, he is a man and his name is Tuk Ko Hong. His father is Tuk Ko Tin Fung and his wife is Ling Chi Yan.

DGKB has been a man, a woman, a post DGSD Xuzhu, a pre LOCH Wang Chongyang, I god level swordsman, a wimp a child could kill with a letter opener and my pet theory that he was not one person at all. Thank you Jin Yong.
    Actually, I very much like the idea that he is not 1 person. But many people who added to the sword theory thru a long time.

Actually, I very much like the idea that he is not 1 person. But many people who added to the sword theory thru a long time.
    The Du Gu Society of Jianghu. Dibs on being Batman

The Dread Pirate Dugu?

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    The Dread Pirate Dugu?
    As you wish

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    No, absolutely not. According to Kim Mo Tuk Ko Kau Pai, he is a man and his name is Tuk Ko Hong. His father is Tuk Ko Tin Fung and his wife is Ling Chi Yan.
    According to that series, he lived during a time when Wudang was already established?

But has she been DFBB?