Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) Wuxia Theme Song Singers?

  1. #21
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    He wasn't popular as a singer, but for some reason i enjoy this song & the series.

    https://youtu.be/yVRgQSc_CEA
    Tony Leung did have a somewhat middling career as a pop singer in the late 1980s. Lui Fong, however, was a pop superstar during that period.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Not a classic but i enjoy this song.

    https://youtu.be/oiUoIrOTGcY

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    THE BUND (SHANGHAI BEACH) is not a duet song. It's a solo song, and its main performer was Frances Yip Lai Yee.
    My bad. Thanks for the correction.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Tony Leung is a rubbish singer, especially for wuxia. The HSDS soundtrack would have been better had it been Anita Mui by herself.
    Tony Leung is not the greatest singer for wuxia songs but still very good. Can't complain about his song as all. His theme songs in Grand Canal and Two Most Honorable Knights are also very good.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,743

    Default

    Adam Cheng is among the greats, if not the greatest.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Tony Leung is not the greatest singer for wuxia songs but still very good. Can't complain about his song as all. His theme songs in Grand Canal and Two Most Honorable Knights are also very good.
    Yeah I agree. Tony Leung isn't a great singer by any means but he did a respectable job with those theme songs. You still get a very wuxia feel in them, though it's also because those were very good compositions to begin with.

    On a related note, I wonder why Andy Lau didn't sing any of the themes in ROCH 83, considering his pop career later on.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    On a related note, I wonder why Andy Lau didn't sing any of the themes in ROCH 83, considering his pop career later on.

    I imagine that he hadn't taken voice lessons at that time. I remember seeing both him and Tony Leung singing the theme to 'Duke of Mount Deer 84' on a show shortly after it was released - they both sounded terrible and out-of-tune.


    And... he did sing something in ROCH 83! The 'Nan Yin' Condor hero song sung by the blind man playing the erhu, which was heard by the three Guo siblings.
    Last edited by Doc Kwok; 05-27-20 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Add link to song

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Besides Shanghai Beach and LOCH, what are their other collaborations?
    They also sang the theme for Genghis Khan 87.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdenResident View Post
    Yeah I agree. Tony Leung isn't a great singer by any means but he did a respectable job with those theme songs. You still get a very wuxia feel in them, though it's also because those were very good compositions to begin with.

    On a related note, I wonder why Andy Lau didn't sing any of the themes in ROCH 83, considering his pop career later on.
    Thankfully he didn't sing any of the main themes. Zhang Denan was perfect for the tone of the story.

  10. #30
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    Thankfully he didn't sing any of the main themes. Zhang Denan was perfect for the tone of the story.
    Those other songs weren't suitable for a male singer, even a very good one.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Those other songs weren't suitable for a male singer, even a very good one.
    Here is Andy Lau singing one of the main themes. I much prefer the original .

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Those other songs weren't suitable for a male singer, even a very good one.
    Not just the individual songs, but the story itself exudes a tenderness that best fits a female vocal.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-16, 02:59 AM
  2. Top 5 Tvb wuxia theme songs of all time
    By filmbuff87 in forum Music
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-15-16, 09:32 AM
  3. Interpretive singers and singers-songwriters
    By Ken Cheng in forum Music
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-09, 07:27 PM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-31-07, 03:56 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-13-07, 03:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •