Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Well I'll be darned: Princess Hua Jeng of Mongolia was an actual historical figure!

  1. #1
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,017

    Default Well I'll be darned: Princess Hua Jeng of Mongolia was an actual historical figure!

    I've always assumed that the Mongolian princess Hua Jeng was a fictional character created by Jin Yong for LOCH who never existed in history, but it turns out that Hua Jeng was an actual historical figure. We've never gotten the Anglicization of her name correct, however. It turns out that her actual name was Princess Khojin.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Interesting. Link to the source.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    821

    Default

    looks like you're right, in third edition of LOCH in my local language, the book use name "Kojin" instead of "Huazheng"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    looks like you're right, in third edition of LOCH in my local language, the book use name "Kojin" instead of "Huazheng"
    Gokhin Bachin brur☺️☺️☺️☺️

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Khojin was Temjin's eldest daughter, and was offered to Ong Khan's grandson Senggum as part of an alliance with Ong Khan. Senggum rejected the offer as threatening to his own position, and in doing so, broke the relationship between Ong Khan and Temujin. Like many other incidents set in Mongolia, this was a historical detail that Jin Yong used to flesh out his story.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Was searching for this princess in Internet. Somehow, there is no info.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Was searching for this princess in Internet. Somehow, there is no info.
    Secret History of the Mongol Queens, by Jack Weatherford, who also wrote Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. Find it on Google books and search for Khojin.

  8. #8
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Was searching for this princess in Internet. Somehow, there is no info.
    That's because you searched in English for Khojin I guess?

    https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/火臣别吉
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  9. #9
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    That's because you searched in English for Khojin I guess?

    https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/火臣别吉
    Not all of us are Chinese literate.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Thanks for the leads.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    That's because you searched in English for Khojin I guess?

    https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/火臣别吉
    so who is this person Wang Han? Wang Han = Ong Khan in loch?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Not all of us are Chinese literate.
    Roughly it is what pannonian said.

  13. #13
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    23,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    so who is this person Wang Han? Wang Han = Ong Khan in loch?
    Yup. That's him.

  14. #14
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,206

    Default

    Her husband Butu/Betul/Beitul? (孛秃) had actually married Temujin's sister (her aunt) first. So she married her former uncle-in-law.

    They had a son called Darqi Gurgun (something like that, mongol names are a pain)
    Last edited by CC; 05-26-20 at 04:27 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Her husband Butu/Betul/Beitul? (孛秃) had actually married Temujin's sister (her aunt) first. So she married her former uncle-in-law.

    They had a son called Darqi Gurgun (something like that, mongol names are a pain)
    What? She married her uncle in law? That is sick.
    After Tolui passed away, Ogedei proposed a marriage between Tolui wife and his son Guyuk. That would be a marriage between auntie and nephew, which is sickening even though they are not blood related.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    What? She married her uncle in law? That is sick.
    After Tolui passed away, Ogedei proposed a marriage between Tolui wife and his son Guyuk. That would be a marriage between auntie and nephew, which is sickening even though they are not blood related.
    OT: Gugu and YG?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    OT: Gugu and YG?
    SLN is NOT the former wife of YG uncle.

Similar Threads

  1. Princess Hua Jeng: possibly executed for treason?
    By Ken Cheng in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-22-20, 05:24 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-20, 12:47 AM
  3. Princess Hua Jeng (Huazheng)
    By Trien Chieu in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-22-20, 10:23 AM
  4. Replies: 108
    Last Post: 07-30-09, 04:55 AM
  5. Wang Chong Yang is real Historical Figure....
    By maxwell in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-06, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •