Thread: My stab at a "would have been" discussion between Gwok Jing and Yeung Gor

Default My stab at a "would have been" discussion between Gwok Jing and Yeung Gor

I'm not in the wuxia fanfic writing business because I'd do it so poorly, but one thing I've long been dissatisfied with in ROCH is how Yeung Gor's elders completely and totally chickened out and failed to tell him the truth about his father, Yeung Hong, early on. Had they all just been truthful to Yeung Gor when he was very young, so much suffering could have been avoided by all. Here's my feeble attempt and rewriting that aspect of ROCH to show what Yeung Gor's elders should have done:

Gwok Jing took Yeung Gor into the unoccupied study room within his father-in-law East Heretic’s cottage. The youth was still steaming from his latest confrontation with Wong Yung, Gwok Fu, the Mo Brothers, and Ohr Jen Ngok.

“I won’t forget this!” Yeung Gor raged out of the range of hearing of his tormentors, “Just wait and see! One day, I’m going to master martial arts and…!”

“Gor-yee,” Gwok Jing said gently, but firmly, “That’s enough.”

“Uncle Gwok,” Yeung Gor raised his fist, “Why do Auntie Gwok, the old blind man, and Ah Fu and those Mo Brothers torment me?!”

“Gor-yee,” Gwok Jing said soothingly, “If you want to be treated well, you must first treat others well. What you expect from others, others also expect from you.”

“Hmmph,” Yeung Gor said defiantly, taking a seat in one of the chairs in the study room.

Gwok Jing sat behind his father-in-law’s presently unusued desk, closed his eyes for a moment and sighed.

It’s time, the renowned wulin hero resolved, he deserves to know the truth.

“Gor-yee,” Gwok Jing began, “How much did your mother tell you about your father?”

Yeung Gor’s attention perked up, and he answered, “Not much. She refused to tell me anything about my father. Uncle Gwok, will you tell me about my father? Who was he? Why won’t anybody tell me about him?”

Gwok Jing nodded, “You deserve to know the whole truth. Listen, and I will tell you. I must warn you, however, that some of it will be hard to take. Are you ready to hear it?”

Yeung Gor was troubled by his uncle’s warning, but nodded in assent.

Gwok Jing gathered his thoughts before beginning, “To understand your father’s story, you must first know the story of your grandfather, Yeung Teet Sum. Uncle Teet Sum was the best friend and sworn brother of my late father, Gwok Siu Teen. They were formidable martial warriors and fervent patriots, fighting side-by-side against the Jin Empire during their youth. Gor-yee: did your mother ever tell you that your ancestor was General Ngok Fei’s great ally, Yeung Tsoi Hing?”

Yeung Gor blinked in amazement, “No. My mother never told me such things. My ancestor really was the General Yeung who helped Ngok Fei fight the Jins?”

“That’s right,” Gwok Jing smiled, “Not only that. Your more distant ancestors during the Northern Sung times were none other than the famous Yeung Family generals who fought against the Liao Empire and the Hsi-Hsia. Yeung Yip, Yeung 6 Long, and Yeung Mun Gwong were all your ancestors.”

Yeung Gor’s heart swelled with pride as his uncle told him about his family’s illustrious, heroic pedigree, but Uncle Gwok had said nothing about his father, Yeung Hong.

Sensing the youth’s curiosity and mounting impatience, Gwok Jing continued, “Your grandfather and my father settled at Ox Village outside of Linan and married two young women they had encountered during their adventures. Your grandmother, Pau Sik Yerk, was a woman of exceptional grace, kindness, and beauty. She was beloved by all who knew her.”

“But what happened?” Yeung Gor demanded.

Gwok Jing paused momentarily before answering, “One night, a wounded man appeared in the storage shed of your grandparents’ home. Your grandmother, being the kindhearted woman she was, helped to treat the wounded man’s injuries, saving his life. She had no idea that the man she helped was none other than Yeun Nan Hung Lit, the Sixth Prince of the Jin Empire.”

“So what?” Yeung Gor asked.

“Yeun Nan Hung Lit lusted after your grandmother,” Gwok Jing told Yeung Gor, “As I mentioned earlier, she was an exceptionally beautiful woman, and that Jin dog wanted her at any cost. Therefore, Yeun Nan Hung Lit conspired with the corrupt Sung military official Deun Teen Dak and ambushed my father and your grandfather. My father died during the assault, and your grandfather was gravely wounded and believed dead for many years.”

Yeung Gor’s eyes widened in shock, and it took him a moment to gather himself before he could say, “Please tell me more, Uncle Gwok.”

Gwok Jing nodded, “Before the incident, Reverend Taoist Yau Chui Gei had met your grandfather and my father and became fast friends with both. Reverend Yau was the one who named me ‘Jing’ and your father ‘Hong,’ to remind us always of the humiliation of the Jing Hong Incident.”

After a poignant pause, Gwok Jing continued, “After the attack, my mother ended up in Mongolia, where she gave birth to me. Meanwhile, your grandmother was taken in by Yeun Nan Hung Lit, who pretended to be a kind benefactor to her. She had no idea that this man had conspired to steal her from her husband. Your father, Yeung Hong, was born in the Jin palace, and was raised to believe that he was a Jurchen prince of the Jin Empire.”

“No…” Yeung Gor shook his head, as the implication began dawning upon him.

“Your father was raised spoiled by wealth and power,” Gwok Jing continued, “As a prince, he was accustomed to luxury, wealth, and privilege. He was shocked when his real father reemerged years later, and refused to acknowledge Uncle Teet Sum. This drove your grandparents to suicide.”

“You’re lying!” Yeung Gor stood up, his eyes aflame, “My father couldn’t…wouldn’t…!”

“Gor-yee,” Gwok Jing insisted gently, “Why would I lie to you? To protect his privilege and wealth, Yeung Hong tried to kill me and your Auntie Gwok on numerous occasions, sending martial artists such as West Poison Au Yeung Fung and Iron Palm Union Chief Kau Cheen Yan, among others, to attack us. At one point, he stole the Dog Beating Stick jade scepter from your Auntie Gwok and tried to usurp the Beggar’s Union Chief position. But perhaps the most evil deed of his life was conspiring with Au Yeung Fung to murder my teachers, the Gong Nam 5 Freaks, and frame the Lord of Peach Blossom Island, Wong Yerk See. This action resulted in a near wulin bloodbath.”

“IT’S NOT TRUE!” Yeung Gor retorted, “I DON’T BELIEVE ANY OF IT! NO!”

Gwok Jing sighed, “Your father died when he tried to silence your Auntie Gwok, who was along with me a witness to how your father murdered Au Yeung Fung’s natural son, Au Yeung Hak. We were back at Ox Village when we witnessed your father murdering Au Yeung Hak so that he could take his place as heir to Au Yeung Fung’s martial arts. Months later, when Au Yeung Fung murdered my 4th Teacher, Nam Hei Yan, he used a poisonous snake. Shortly before his death, 4th Teacher struck your Auntie Gwok on her soft body armor, leaving behind his snake-poisoned blood. A few days later, when Auntie Gwok was about to reveal the truth of what had happened to Au Yeung Hak, your father, fearing being exposed as the murderer, struck Auntie Gwok on the exact same spot on her armor where 4th Teacher had stricken her previously. The snake venom transferred into your father, and he died from the poison shortly thereafter. When I found his remains the following day, all that was left were his bones, his flesh having been eaten away by crows. I buried him near Iron Spear Temple in Ga Hing.”

Yeung Gor sobbed, prostrate on the ground, pounding the floor, “No…that can’t be…it’s…it’s true? Is it all true, Uncle Gwok?”

Gwok Jing lifted his nephew from the ground, his hands gently, consolingly rubbing the youth’s shoulders as he nodded, “I am sorry, Gor-yee. Your father was an immoral man who betrayed his parents, his countrymen, and his conscience, but his sins are not yours. You should not suffer for his misdeeds. Auntie Gwok named you 'Gor' in the hopes that unlike your father, you would reflect upon your flaws and work to rectify them. Your father disgraced your family’s honorable name, but depending on your choices as a man, you can still redeem the honor of the Yeung bloodline.”

It would have been easier if his mother had told him when he was a toddler 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    As a toddler, he wouldn't have understood it at all, and I don't think Muk Lim Chi would have ever been able to tell him. Gwok Jing, on the other hand, could have and should have.

I understand why his mother wouldn't have told him.
    No one knew if YG would ever meet the Guo's or how he would've developed as a boy.

I guess MNC just wanted YG to believe his father was a hero and hoped that he would not follow the same path.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I understand why his mother wouldn't have told him.
    No one knew if YG would ever meet the Guo's or how he would've developed as a boy.

I guess MNC just wanted YG to believe his father was a hero and hoped that he would not follow the same path.
    It ended up being a terrible decision. It was frustrating in ROCH that NONE of Yeung Gor's elders who knew the truth had the balls to tell him what had really happened. If even one of them had stepped up, things would have been so much easier for everyone involved.

I was also frustrated about that fact when I first read ROCH

But now I can sort of appreciate why they didn't share the truth. It's kind of a nasty one and might traumatize a small child who was led to believe his father was a good man.

I think GJ did the best he could. He didn't show much bias towards YG. The problem was more with HR, Guo Fu and the Wu brothers. HR's intention wasn't bad, but she was flawed as a mother or aunty figure (plus she had some weird bias towards YK and a really weird sense of guilt). I was always shocked that HR couldn't empathize more with YG considering she was very similar in her youth.

If it wasn't for one unintended mistake after another-- YG might have grew up just fine never knowing the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    As a toddler, he wouldn't have understood it at all, and I don't think Muk Lim Chi would have ever been able to tell him. Gwok Jing, on the other hand, could have and should have.
    Don't underestimate toddlers. My 3 year old knows & understands alot and i really mean alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It ended up being a terrible decision. It was frustrating in ROCH that NONE of Yeung Gor's elders who knew the truth had the balls to tell him what had really happened. If even one of them had stepped up, things would have been so much easier for everyone involved.
    The reason they didn't tell him is so he can end up meeting the condor and learning some kick *** MA.

I wonder if he would end up as strong if he stayed and trained under Quanzhen sect or Guo family even?

The reason they didn't tell him is so he can end up meeting the condor and learning some kick *** MA.

I wonder if he would end up as strong if he stayed and trained under Quanzhen sect or Guo family even?
    If GJ taught him 9 Yin and Dragon Palms + HR taught him DBS, he of course would be just as strong. But that would be boring since he would be a GJ like clone.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    I was also frustrated about that fact when I first read ROCH

But now I can sort of appreciate why they didn't share the truth. It's kind of a nasty one and might traumatize a small child who was led to believe his father was a good man.
    ...but letting him twist in ignorance didn't work out so great for him and everyone else either, did it? Only a last-second attack of conscience and good sense saved everyone from catastrophe. It just as easily have gone the other way.

As hard as the truth was to take, it was better than letting Yeung Gor live with an illusion about his father. Moreover, the way that I had Gwok Jing present it would help soften the worst of the blow. Knowing that his ancestors were great, highly honored heroes, and the circumstances that caused Yeung Hong to turn out the way he did, and the reminder that his father's sins were not his and that he had it within his power to redeem the honor of his family name, probably would have served Yeung Gor better than letting him live with a lie. I feel that Yeung Gor's elders let him down here, regardless of their benign intentions.