Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Just checking) Has anyone stopped watching wuxia series?

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    I have completely stopped watching and reading wuxia. I can occasionally watch an adaptation of Louis Cha's works, but that is about it.

I love Louis Cha, but I don't think most wuxia novels and wuxia series are of good quality.

With all due respect to those who still love the 1970s to 1990s TVB adaptations, I can't watch those without laughing uncontrollably. To me, they have not aged well.
    EXACTLY!!! lol

only new jin yong adaptions are watchable. i tried other adaptions from other writers but just dont feel the same and i quit midway
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    Actually there was a scene where QF (Felix wong) pulled off his shirt to show the wolf tattoo on his body... That was a bad scene haha
    It wasnt a full shirt out. Just the chest. That was lame.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Plenty of good non traditional wuxia series to watch these few years.

Nirvana in Fire is one of the best series with minor fighting elements in it.

There is only so much remakes of JY materials one can take in tbh.

Good web novels converted into series are best bets these days. Some popular ones like Ever night & the untamed are pretty good.

I've transition from wuxia into fantasy novels over the last few years. Once every couple of years, I would re-read all the great wuxia translations here but for the most part, I'm spending my time listening to Brandon Sanderson, Drew Hayes, Larry Correa, and others. I know there are a lot of new translations available and a part of me do want to pick them up, but there's only so much time in the day that I can spend leisurely.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

I haven't consumed anything Mo Hap related for a long, long time. It's only recently that I got back into it. Mainly the older stuff though from the 70s and 80s, from childhood favourites to ones that I haven't seen.

RTV's Reincarnated remains a classic in my eyes. Some of the action scenes choreographed by Ching Siu Dung, still hold up very well and are more memorable than the stuff he did for TVB. The man just had bags and bags of creativity. Always loved how with the old 70s series, there was a difference in the way the outdoor scenes were shot compared to the indoor ones in terms of lighting/photography too.

I also recently seen The Foundation (1984) for the second time and it was much better than what I remembered it to be. Though it's only 20 episodes, the focus is more laser-like than the typical meandering yarn. The plot itself is filled with political intrigue, detailing the corruptibility of power and highlighting the dichotomy between male and female during ancient times. The fight scenes are nothing to write home about and some of the characters aren't necessarily the most colourful, but damn was the story a treat.

The latest released wuxia series I've managed to watch all the way through is DGSD (2013). It was a pleasant surprise how much I enjoyed it. I loved how so much backstory was woven into the main story, fleshing out the relationships of certain characters even more than the source, such as Bak Sai Geng and Hong Man. Costumes are also gorgeous compared to the ones in 2003. My favourite adaptation since the 82 version.

Of the recent series, I rejoice at the production values and I like some of the writing. If only they'd rein back on some of the CGI and let the actions of the actors speak for themselves, this genre would hold my attention even more.

Have not watched a wuxia series since 2006 Return of the Condor Heroes.
    Wuxia series nowaday have too many CGI involved and also too many repeat adaptions from Jinyong's popular books.

I have the DVD collection of 1983 Return of the Condor Heroes (Andy Lau and Idy Chan: my favorite Yang Guo and Xialongnu actor and actress and adaptation/Wuxia series of all time) and the anime version that I watch selective episodes once every few years.

The 1990s were the Golden years for me watching Wuxia-themed movies.