Thread: Any female practitioners of 1 Yeung Finger Technique?

Default Any female practitioners of 1 Yeung Finger Technique?

Hong Lung 18 Palms was a skill that apparently only males could learn, but was the same also true for 1 Yeung Finger Technique? Madame Ma in DGSD and Gwok Seung in HSDS kind of faked it, but did any female character legitimately use 1 Yeung Finger Technique? Perhaps Chu 9 Jen and Mo Ching Ying from HSDS?

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

It is strange 1YF had no female practitioners. Duan Zhengchun had no shortage of daughters, so it was not like there were no Duan family members available.

By the time of LOCH/ROCH they stopped the rule of teaching only Duan family members, so it is really odd that not a single woman practiced the art ever emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    It is strange 1YF had no female practitioners. Duan Zhengchun had no shortage of daughters, so it was not like there were no Duan family members available.

By the time of LOCH/ROCH they stopped the rule of teaching only Duan family members, so it is really odd that not a single woman practiced the art ever emerged.
    Yes...do you feel there might be a similar deal as with Hong Lung 18 Palms? That the extreme yang nature of 1 Yeung Finger Technique made it unsuitable for female practitioners?

I wonder how he is going to teach his daughters. For he only acknowledged them towards the end of his life.

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    I wonder how he is going to teach his daughters. For he only acknowledged them towards the end of his life.
    I was referring to the rule at the time that 1YF could not be taught outside of the Duan family. Although DZC did not have the opportunity to teach the girls himself, once they were taken back into the family we never hear of any Duan family elders ever passing the skill on to them or any of their female descendants using it, which I find a little odd.

I was referring to the rule at the time that 1YF could not be taught outside of the Duan family. Although DZC did not have the opportunity to teach the girls himself, once they were taken back into the family we never hear of any Duan family elders ever passing the skill on to them or any of their female descendants using it, which I find a little odd.
    The girls all lacked inner power, but then again, so did the Mo Brothers during ROCH, yet they somehow learned the skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Yes...do you feel there might be a similar deal as with Hong Lung 18 Palms? That the extreme yang nature of 1 Yeung Finger Technique made it unsuitable for female practitioners?
    If females can't practice extreme yang skills, then how did Gwok Seung & Mit Jeut See Tai learn 1/3 of 9 yang?
    Last edited by Stance; 08-20-20 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stance View Post
    If females can't practice extreme yang skills, then how did Gwok Seung & Mit Jeut See Tai learn 1/3 of 9 yang?
    This is one of the contradictions that I wish Jin Yong were still around to clarify. It was the reason given that no female character in his canon ever learned the Hong Lung 18 Palms, but the same principle somehow did not apply to Kau Cheen Chek and Yeun Nan Ping learning the very yang Iron Sand Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    This is one of the contradictions that I wish Jin Yong were still around to clarify. It was the reason given that no female character in his canon ever learned the Hong Lung 18 Palms, but the same principle somehow did not apply to Kau Cheen Chek and Yeun Nan Ping learning the very yang Iron Sand Palm.

Maybe because it's not yang enough haha