Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Off-topic mania

OK.. Ganryu.. You pay for it...$$$
    I am just kidding.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Originally posted by Ganryu
    why do u even have to moderate it?
    in most cases, people behave here.... and for chat u dont even have to keep the history..... its just real-time talking...

in any case, members of spc have already chatted on AIM or MSN chatrooms with 5-10 ppl..... won't it just be cooler to have a more organized chatroom from the spc site?
    The thing is, once spcnet hosts the chat, she can be made liable should something happen.

But, it can work, just as on Aol, Yahoo, etc. You just gotta make sure to have a disclaimer saying "the chatroom is NOT monitored", because once you start monitoring it, spcnet will be responsible should something happen. I vaguely remember Compuserve losing a lawsuit long time ago because of this exact issue. So now all the Chat sites clearly state that they don't do any monitoring.

Originally posted by Mike Liu
    The thing is, once spcnet hosts the chat, she can be made liable should something happen.

But, it can work, just as on Aol, Yahoo, etc. You just gotta make sure to have a disclaimer saying "the chatroom is NOT monitored", because once you start monitoring it, spcnet will be responsible should something happen. I vaguely remember Compuserve losing a lawsuit long time ago because of this exact issue. So now all the Chat sites clearly state that they don't do any monitoring.
    If that is the case,,,, I even strongly advise not to open the Chat room.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Wow, this is getting quite big scale.
    The nail that sticks out should be hammered down.

Originally posted by Mike Liu

If it's traceable to Spcnet, then she may be liable, depending on the terms of service and the disclaimers put up. So it would be better off not having the chat. There are plenty of ways for online chat without involving SC and the site. She pays, and if there's any trouble, she suffers. There's no point involving her in anything potentially litigious.
    玉木宏

blog

Why can't ppl all behave like babybunny????

The New Bi Xue Jian Rocks!

Webshots - Free Beautiful Photos

Saw this post by Junny:

3 Fast 3 Furious merged with The Can 2. Spam.

How is that spam? It's quite an interesting and funny link.

Sometimes I get confused by the moderation here.

Everyone has their interpretation of what is spam. The moderators also have unique interpretations of what is spam. Spam topics are usually pointless threads, this is subjective to the moderator's judgement though. If you have questions regarding a moderation, please feel free to PM the moderators.
    Last edited by Spirit of Honour; 09-10-03 at 05:25 AM.
    "The gentlemen first practices what he preaches and then preaches what he practices." - Confucius

Deleted by Thor
    Last edited by Thor; 09-10-03 at 08:22 AM.

So in conclusion, I think everyone agrees that spamming threads with off topics is disapproved and will cooperate. Thank you to all those members who have said that they will try, much appreciated.

As to the whole argument for language threads. First of all, English is the unifying written language here--not Chinese, Vietnamese, Indonesian, or any other. The reason why the site was started in the first place was because I wanted a place for Chinese illiterate readers to read reviews about tv series in English and I saw an audience for it. So in a way, the site was already exclusive to begin with.

Language threads is also a medium for breaking forum guidelines, as I didn't realize in the Vietnamese thread until TristeCoer pointed out. All threads are subject to our moderation as members agreed when you registered for the forum. Language threads bypass our moderation.

So language threads in the future will be deleted. However, I have decided to leave the Mari thread alone for now since the participants are trying to encourage other members to join in. Please keep that a friendly, good natured thread and not break rules. If I hear of bad things there, I will not be soft.

As to a chatroom idea, I gave it a lot of thought too and will not open one for now. I already have too much trouble from the forum right now. I think the best option for now is for members to start one on their own on AIM or yahoo and ask other members to participate.
    -SC