Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Always and Forever

Yay! Welcome back tweetie! Great updates! I love how you gave us some background info on Kevin, and Ruby and Tae's chapter was funny! Update soon!
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail".

this is sooooo cute..omg, i wonder what gonna happen next...hehehe, i hope they hug or something.

Yeah! I still have readers left . Hiya all my 3 readers. Thanks for the comments. I hope I can still manage to entertain you guys. This next chapter is centered on my honey… Kevin Cheng. Oh, just a hottie!

Chapter 26 – Mocha Tapioca Drink

Character Appearances:
    Annie Man Chung Han
    Kevin Cheng Ka Wing

Annie’s face was filled with happiness as her eyes slowly took in Kevin’s presence. Even in casual workout clothes, he still managed to look so dashing. Time seemed to stand still as they gazed at each other. Finally, she took the first step, which instigated him to meet her halfway.

“Hi,” she murmured.

“Hello, Annie,” he said with a silly grin. There were so many things he wanted to say that he didn’t know where to start. Her appearance hasn’t changed since he last saw her in Hong Kong, but somehow, she seemed lovelier than ever.

“How have you been, Kevin?”

“Good. And you?”

“I’m doing quite well. I just landed a job catering and planning a wedding.”

“That’s terrific. So, how long will you be staying in Shanghai?”

“For three months. Once the wedding is over, I’ll return to Hong Kong.”

He was more than thrilled to hear this news. He had thought that this mission would separate him from Annie, but now, all that had changed. She would be by his side for three wondrous months. It was proving to be a great day.

“I’m assuming you’re getting a hefty paycheck?”

“Of course. In addition to the extra cash, I’ll also get the opportunity to gain more business contacts if I do a good job. Besides, I can visit Ruby and Ada while I’m here.”

“An entrepreneur to the bone, eh?”

She giggled at his mocked frown. “It is my dream to open a restaurant one day. So, I have to work extra hard in order to reach my goal. Money isn’t going to miraculously fly into my hands.”

“Maybe you should take the easy way out and marry a rich husband,” he teased.

She tilted her head to the side and sighed. “I would, but sadly, no one is offering for my hand in marriage. I guess I’ll have to make my money the old fashion way. Earning it myself. If I’m going to become an old spinster, at least I’ll be an old spinster with money.”

Kevin laughed at her response. “I’m positive there is a long line of men waiting to offer you marriage. Could it be that you’re just picky?”

Her face scrunched up as she pondered over that idea, then she shook her head and replied, “Nope. Don’t think so. I’m a very easy going person.”

He couldn’t help smiling at her statement. He saw her glancing down at her wristwatch to check the time. “Do you have to go somewhere?”

“Yes. I’m supposed to meet Mrs. Wong and go over some minor wedding details with her. It’s almost time.”

“I can take you in my car,” he offered.

“Oh, no, thank you. You must have important business matters to complete. I don’t want to bother you. I can take the bus.”

“Don’t worry, I’m free for the day.”

Before she could refuse, he pulled out his cell phone and started dialing. “Hello, this is Kevin Cheng. May I speak to Manager Zhou?”

“Hello, Mr. Cheng. What can I do for you?” She heard the familiar voice of Manager Zhou.

Kevin glanced up at the street signs. “I’m located at the corner of Corral and Kress Street. I need to have my car brought over immediately.”

“Right away, sir. Is there anything else you need?”

“No, that’s all for now. Thank you.”

“No problem, sir. I’ll have someone bring your car over shortly.”

He turned off his phone and smiled at her. “We’ll have to wait a couple minutes.”

“You really didn’t have to do that.”

“Well, think of this as a favor. You can pay for lunch.”

“That seems fair.” She suddenly had on a winsome smile. “When I have my own restaurant, feel free to drop by any time you want. Since you have been so nice about giving me a ride, I’ll give you a small discount on the meals.”

“What? I don’t get to eat for free?” he questioned in an appalled tone.

“Free?” She raised her eyebrows in astonishment. “That word is definitely not in my vocabulary. Consider yourself lucky on the discount. I don’t give it out to just anybody.”

“In that case, I will forever be in your debt for such a magnanimous offer.”

“You’ll have to wait awhile to be thankful though. I’m trying to save up, but it’s going to take some time.”

“If you need any financial help, let me know. I can lend you money.”

“Thanks, but I want to do this on my own. I want to say that I accomplished my dream with my own two hands,” she stated with determination. “And you shouldn’t be so quick to lend people money. Not to cast bad luck on myself, but what happens if my business fails and I can’t pay you back? I could grab everything and split before you know it. Then, the creditors will come after you once they find out you were involved with my business. The police will call you in and interrogate you on fraud. Your face will be blasted on the front covers of the tabloids. You’ll be hounded by the paparazzi everywhere you go and all hell will break loose,” she dramatically concluded.

Listening to Annie, his shoulders started to shake with unrestrained hilarity. She was so cute when she became all crazed up. Her lively imagination was quite adorable. He admired that fact that she could envision such an extreme scenario on the whim.

“I fail to find anything funny.” There was a disapproving expression on her face as she perched her hands on her hips. “It could happen, you know.”

“Of course, it could,” he choked out. Noticing her dark frown, he tried to stop laughing. “I’m sure the paparazzi have much better targets to pursue. Chasing me around for information on fraud will probably be the last thing on their list.” He chuckled again. “However, I’ll remember to get some type of collateral from you before I lend you money. Just to save myself in the unlikely case that you do try to bankrupt me,” he said humorously.

“What kind of collateral?”

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

At that moment, a silver BMW convertible appeared from the corner and stopped a couple feet away. The driver handed Kevin the keys. “Here’s your car, Mr. Cheng. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“No. Thank you for your help.”

“You’re very welcome, sir.”

Kevin held out the door for Annie. Once she was settled in the seat, he went to the driver’s side and turned on the ignition. She gave him the directions to the Wong Family’s villa. Finally arriving at the front gate, she approached the intercom located on the brick wall and spoke through the receiver, “Hello. My name is Annie Man. I have an appointment to see Mrs. Wong.”

“One moment, please,” an elderly voice replied back. A couple minutes later, a short, robust woman wearing a dark blue dress came running out. With her gray hair tied up in a neat bun and small spectacles, she resembled a schoolteacher. “Hello, Miss Man,” she jovially greeted. “I’m the housekeeper here. Everybody calls me Auntie Joon. I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but Mrs. Wong had an urgent phone call from the company and left earlier today. She said she will call you later on tonight.”

“Thank you for the message, Auntie Joon,”

“You’re welcome, my dear.” The housekeeper closed the gate and jogged back up to the villa.

Turning around, Annie had on an apologetic look. “I guess we didn’t have to drive all the way here after all. Sorry for wasting your time.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. So, since you’re free right now, do you want to take a little tour around the city?”

After the long ride on the train and the eventful meeting with Tae, she was quite tired. Yet she also wanted to spend more time with Kevin, so she nodded her head in agreement. “Sure. That sounds like fun.”

She was staring out the window as he pointed out various different attractions to her. He gave brief descriptions of the buildings and famous statues. Out of nowhere, she yelled out, “Stop the car!”

He slammed on the brake and the car came to a screeching stop, causing both of them to lunge forward. He immediately turned to Annie and asked in a worried voice, “What is it?! Are you not feeling well, Annie?”

“No, I’m fine. I just wanted to check out some paintings at the art gallery I saw.” She cheerfully opened the door and rushed back toward the store.

“Annie, wait for me! Let me find a parking space first!” He searched around for a place to park and found an empty slot on the curb. She had already entered the store by the time he stepped out of the car. There were many paintings of different genres and techniques on display. He finally located her in the far corner of the room, intently studying a watercolor image of a sunset in the woods.

Her face shone with a sense of contentment as her eyes absorbed the illustration. He silently stood behind her and noticed that the painting was titled Ray of Light. The painter was anonymous. The sweeping view of natural trees and mountains was painted in a way that created a realistic illusion. What was most spectacular was the radiant orange-red sunset peeking over the horizon. Although a simple scene, there was a mystical feeling of man being united with nature.

Annie broke the silence by saying, “This is a duplicate. I saw the original once when I was twelve. It was the first time my parents took me to an art exhibit,” she revealed while still consumed with the image. “My mother loved sunsets. She always told me that no matter what happened during the day, no matter how bad you feel at the end of the day, tomorrow will always come. My father and mother believed that a new day was the chance for a fresh start and you should always smile when you wake up in the morning.”

Annie lifted her eyes to look at Kevin. “They were very optimistic people.”

“They sound like wonderful parents as well.” He could see how much she missed them. The wistful way she stared at the picture and the poignant sound of her voice made him want to somehow soothe away her sadness.

“Yes. They were great, loving parents. I remember during the summer, my father would take us out to the beach every weekend. I love holding their hands while walking along the shore. Somehow, it made me feel so… safe. After they passed away, paintings of sunsets would remind me of them. Yet this painting holds a special meaning for me. I don’t know why, but seeing it makes me feel like I still have them by my side.” She gave a low laugh. “I know it’s a silly notion.”

“It’s not silly at all, Annie. It’s only natural that you miss your parents and want to have some kind of connection with them.”

A small smile curved her lips. “I tried to locate the original version, but the museum that previously owned it said they placed it up for auction and can’t disclose the buyer’s name. I just want to see it one more time. Even for one minute, it would be enough.”

He thoughtfully regarded the painting and vaguely remembered seeing it somewhere before. “Are you hungry, Kevin?” He snapped out of his thoughts at the sudden question. “Huh?”

“Are you hungry?” she repeated. “We’ve been driving around for awhile, so I thought you might want something to eat.”

“Now, that you mentioned it, I do feel somewhat hungry.”

“There is this terrific restaurant only a couple miles away from here. I’ve wanted to try out the food there after I heard the great reviews they received. Want to go with me?”

“Okay, but let me drive the car around first.”

Thirty-five minutes later, Kevin was beginning to regret his decision to accompany Annie to the small, crowded restaurant. He was discreetly trying to breathe through his mouth while swallowing a sliver of the most foul smelling beancurd he had ever eaten. Miraculously, he was able to maintain a decent facial expression as he finished the tiny portion on his plate. Placed on the table were dishes filled with deep fried stinky tofu, garlic covered steamed fish, string beans with onions, and sticky rice reeking of a foreign odor that he couldn’t identify. To top everything off, Annie had ordered fresh durian for dessert. He had always hated the putrid stench of durian.

The food was prepared in a way that gave off the pungent smell of the ingredients to the extreme level. Certain people, like Kevin, could not stand or enjoy the strong tastes, but Annie was the total opposite. She was happily gobbling down the food at a record speed.

“Gosh, these dishes are so tasty!” she mumbled with a mouth half filled with string beans. “You barely touched your food, Kevin. What’s wrong? You don’t like it?”

He was desperately attempting to control himself and not throw up in front of her. “I’m not very hungry. I had a huge breakfast.” He didn’t want to tell her that the food stinks, literally.

“So, what do you think of the food?” she inquired.

“Delicious,” he managed to utter.

“I knew you would like it.” She picked up a napkin and wiped her mouth. “I need to go wash my hands. I’ll be right back.”

The moment she was out of sight, he immediately started gagging and fanning himself with his hands. “Oh, my God! I think I’m going to be sick. How the hell can anyone eat these things?” he quietly mumbled. Seeing Annie walking back to their table, he immediately took a huge gulp of air and tried to compose himself.

Sitting back down, she picked up two remaining pieces of fried tofu with her chopsticks and placed them on his plate. “Why don’t you finish these, Kevin? It’s a waste to throw away two small pieces. You did say they’re delicious.” There was an expectant look on her face as she waited for him.

“No, that’s okay. I’m rather full.”

She shoved the plate closer to him. “Eat them,” she stated commandingly.

He was getting goose bumps just by staring at the two offending yellow lumps. He gingerly picked up the tofu with his chopsticks and hesitated for a split second before placing it in his mouth. It was a struggling task to keep from spitting the tofu out. With one down, there was one more to go. Unfortunately, there was a limit to how much his stomach can tolerate. It was halfway down his esophagus before it was forced back up the pipe. The odorous chunk fell back on his plate as he started coughing and reaching for his glass of ice tea.

“Serves you right for lying to me,” she admonished while patting him on his back. “You should have told me the truth that you don’t like the food. We could have eaten somewhere else. Are you all right?”

He emptied his drink and shook his head. “Don’t worry. I’m okay now.” He coughed a couple more times before saying, “I thought I was doing a pretty good job on keeping a straight face.”

“Then, you better check a mirror next time. It was quite obvious. Plus, I saw you gagging and fanning your face,” she pointed out with a peeved expression.

He gave an embarrassed laugh. “You were enjoying the food so much that I didn’t want to ruin your meal.”

“I could have taken it back home and eat it.”

If she had taken the food to go, then he wouldn’t have the chance to spend lunchtime with her. He would gladly endure the stench for the rest of the day if he could keep Annie by his side. “I don’t mind.”

“Next time, if you don’t like something, tell me.”

“Yes, ma’am.”

She smiled at his goofy expression. She started licking her lips as she spotted the waitress carrying a platter with two large bowls of fresh durian. “Oh, here comes dessert.” After the waitress placed the bowls on the table, she grabbed her spoon and plowed right into the soft, fleshy part of the fruit. She glanced up and saw the dreaded look on Kevin’s face. “Don’t tell me you don’t like durian.”

“Actually, I absolutely hate durian. Can’t stand the smell.”

“Well, in that case, you mind giving me your portion?” She was already reaching for his bowl before he could answer.

“Not at all,” he replied as his lips quirked up in a cheeky grin.

After finishing dessert, she leaned back and released a blissful sigh. “That was good. You don’t know what you’re missing out.”

“Had enough? Or do you want more?”

“Nah, I’m full. Let’s go.”

She followed him as he went to the cashier. Pulling out his wallet, he asked, “How much for table number six?”

“Your friend has already paid.”

He turned around and saw Annie’s smug look. “I agreed lunch was on me.” She walked pass him and exited the restaurant. He smiled as he caught up with her.

On the drive back to the studio, she suddenly had a craving for a tapioca drink. The closest store selling the drink didn’t have parking spaces for cars. So, Kevin had to leave Annie in the car half a block away from the store. While she was waiting for him to return, she heard a woman’s distressful voice. “Let go of me! It’s over between us!”

Annie curiously turned her head around and saw a tall, brawny man holding on to a young woman in her early twenties. The woman was struggling to free her arms from his tight grasp and appeared very upset.

“Give me another chance, Yuet,” the man pleaded. “It was just a one night stand. You know how much I love you.”

“That’s what you said last time, Xian. If you really love me, you wouldn’t keep cheating on me. I’ve had it this time. I already agreed to marry Jeng. We’re leaving for Australia tomorrow.”

Upon hearing this disturbing news, Xian grabbed Yuet’s shoulders and violently shook her. “I knew there was something going on between the two of you! How can you do this to me?! I won’t let you run off with that bastard!”

Yuet broke free of his grip and shoved him away. “I am tired of your lies and deceits. Our relationship is over. Why can’t you get it through your mind that I don’t love you anymore?”

She started to walk away, but he roughly yanked her back and slapped her across the face. The force of the blow left a red handprint on her cheek. “You ungrateful, greedy ****! After everything that I’ve done for you, I can’t believe you’re ditching me for another man.” He sneered at her. “You’re after his money, aren’t you? You shameless gold digger! You have always looked down on me because of my poor background.”

He was going hysterical as he slapped her again. Yuet was knocked to the ground with tears running down her cheeks. When Annie saw him raising his foot with the intention of kicking Yuet, she ran over to help the young woman. She grabbed Xian by the hair and jerked him away. She kicked him behind one knee, causing him to fall on the hard ground. Annie helped Yuet stand up and glared at the man lying on the ground.

Momentarily dazed at the unexpected attack from behind, he shook his head to clear his vision and scowled up at Annie. “Who the hell are you?”

She could see his eyes were filled with an intense anger. “It doesn’t matter who I am. You should be ashamed of yourself for striking a defenseless woman,” she furiously stated.

“Mind your own business, *****!”

“What if I don’t want to mind my own business?”

Xian’s eyes glazed with uncontrollable rage. He leaped to his feet and lunged toward Annie. She swiftly jumped out of his reach and gave him a hard kick in the back, propelling him to the ground again. He slowly stood up and swung his fists at her. However, her small framed enabled her to danced away from him with ease. His fists repeatedly aimed for her face, but she skillfully, dodged the blows. Deciding to end her defense, she balled up her right hand and deftly landed a punch across the left side of his face. She grabbed his right arm and jerked it behind his back. Throwing her full weighting against his frame, she managed to pin him against the brick wall.

“Not all women are powerless creatures for scums like you to beat up. You slept with other women and when your ex-girlfriend wants to end the relationship, you have the audacity to call her names and hit her?!” Annie twisted Xian’s hand, causing him to yell out in pain. “You rotten, spineless pig!”

Yuet rushed over and tried to end the violence. “Miss, I thank you for your help. I’m sure Xian has learned his lesson and won’t bother me anymore. Please, let him go.”

“It’s a good thing you have a forgiving ex-girlfriend.” She released her hold on him. Turning around, Annie noticed that Yuet’s cheeks were swollen from the slaps she received. “I think you better go home and place an icepack on your face.”

Yuet’s eyes suddenly widened with alarm. “Watch out!” she exclaimed. Annie whirled around in time to see a flash of steel rapidly moving toward her. She arched to the side, but was a split second too slow. The razor-sharp knife sliced the side of her waist, piercing through her jacket and leaving a thin, bloody cut. She fell down in bewilderment. Yuet screamed again as the knife headed straight at Annie.

The blade came within a couple inches of Annie’s heart when it was abruptly wrenched out of Xian’s hand. Kevin threw the knife aside as he repeatedly slammed his fists against Xian’s stomach. He proceeded to smash his knee against the other man’s chest several times before kicking him across the face. Hauling the half conscious man up by the front of his shirt, Kevin sent his fist crashing into Xian’s face.

His face was livid with fury as he spoke in a dangerously low voice. “If you ever lay another finger on Annie again, I will make sure you won’t have any fingers left. Do I make myself absolutely clear?”

Xian’s face was now swollen and bloody from Kevin’s attack. He made an effort to nod his head, but his neck to was too stiff to move.

“Answer me when I talk to you,” he ordered with an ominous expression.

“Y…yyy… yyes,” the man stuttered as his whole body shook with fear.

“Now, apologize to the ladies.”

“Sorry, Yuet. Sorry… um…Miss–”

“Annie Man.”

“I’m sorry Miss Annie Man,” Xian uttered through his crack lips.

Without warning, Kevin released Xian, causing him to stumble and collapse on the ground. Xian slowly staggered away hugging his stomach. Kevin darted over to Annie to check on her wound. She grimaced as he gently picked her up and carried her over to the car with Yuet trailing behind them.

“Are you all right, Miss Man? I’m so sorry for what happened.”

“I’m fine. You should return home and start packing. That Xian guy doesn’t appear like the type that would quietly walk away from a relationship.”

“I already have my belongings packed and ready to go. I want to thank you again for your help.”

“You’re welcome. Good-bye.”

Yuet waved to Annie and hurried off. Kevin removed his keys from his pocket to unlock the glove compartment. He took out a first aid kit and opened the box. He rummaged around to find a couple packets of alcohol wipes and a large band-aid.

“Annie, let me see that cut.” She moved her body to allow him a better view of her wound. He pushed aside her jacket and pulled her shirt over the cut to examine it. He released a sigh of relief to see that it wasn’t too deep. “Luckily, you had that jacket for a barrier. Otherwise, the knife would have penetrated much deeper.”

He ripped open the alcohol wipes and cleaned up the blood. She flinched from the stinging pain. He instantly stopped wiping. “Sorry. Am I being too rough?”

“No, I’m okay. I can handle it from here. Give me the band-aid.”

He placed the band-aid in her hand and watched her placed it over the cut. “I’m taking you to the hospital for a checkup.”

“What?! No, I feel perfectly fine. There’s no need to make a big deal.”

“You don’t know where that knife has been, so to be on the safe side, we’re going to the hospital. No butts about it.”

Annie was feeling exhausted, so she didn’t object to his decision. As the drove to the hospital in silence, she saw the dark frown creasing Kevin’s forehead. She sensed that something was bothering him. “What’s wrong, Kevin? You look like you’re about to punch somebody in the face again.”

He didn’t answer her, but remained silent for several minutes. She shrugged and returned to staring at the vending stands and people on the sidewalks. Out of nowhere, he startled her by angrily exclaiming, “That guy was nearly twice your size! How could you have been so reckless?!

“Well, I can’t just stand around and watch Yuet being abused without doing something to help.”

“You should have waited for me.”

“By the time you get back, she would have been beaten to a bloody pulp. That guy was crazy,” she reasoned.

“Must you have an excuse for everything?”

“Yes,” she answered with a bright smile. “Are you mad at me?”

He had on an exasperated look. “No, I’m not mad at you. Just promise me you’ll be more cautious next time.”

“I promise. Oh yeah, where’s my mocha tapioca drink?” She stuck out her hand and started wiggling her fingers.

“How can you think of food at a time like this?”

“Because I still have a craving for it? Where’s my drink?” she persistently asked.

“There was such a long line that I decided to go someplace else.”

Hearing that he doesn’t have her mocha tapioca drink, she slumped back against the seat with a gloomy expression. Seeing her unhappy pout, he made a sharp turn and drove to another store selling tapioca drinks. He parked under a tree and said, “Unless the car catches on fire and is on the verge of exploding, wait here until I return.”

She rolled her eyes at him and uttered in an annoyed tone, “Yes, I know. Hurry up and get me my drink.”

Several minutes later, Kevin came back to the car holding a large cup of mocha tapioca and noticed that Annie was sound asleep. He settled in his seat and placed the drink in the cup holder. He took off his jacket and carefully draped it over her. Not wanting to wake her up, he decided to take her to the hospital later. He brushed aside several strands of hair from her cheeks and just sat there, gazing at her. He watched, fascinated as the sunlight dance on her features and made her appeared even more engaging.

He slowly leaned in and tenderly pressed his lips against her forehead. She was in such a deep slumber that the soft kiss failed to wake her up. He smiled as he had hopelessly fallen under her spell. Her bright, spirited eyes possessed an almost heavenly allure that he couldn’t resist and didn’t want to resist. How easily she seemed to affect him without even knowing it.

When he saw Xian plunging at Annie with the knife, a disturbing, almost savage sensation ripped through him. He had wanted to strangle that man with his bare hands. He must find a way to ensure her safety while she stayed in Shanghai. The mere thought of Annie being harmed made his blood run cold. He closed his eyes and scooted closer to her, hoping the day won’t pass by too quickly.

Kevin is so nice..hehehhee. keep up the good work!!

Thumbs up

Great Update

Once again, great writing as usual.

Awwww...this chapter is great!

Update soon!
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail".

Hey tweety you're back!!! I've been quite busy so i didn't realised that you're back and have your fanfic updated.

I miss your writing so much. Thanks for the update.

OMg, ruby and tae are so funny. Kevin and Annie are so cute together.
    where art thou prince? i want to wake up!

Hey guys! How is everyone doing? I hope everyone had a wonderful Chinese’s New Year. I've been rather busy and stressed out lately. The usual stuffs, work and family problems. More on family problems. So haven't been updating as frequently as I want due to lack of time. It's been a joy writing this story and I really don't want to abandon it. Therefore, if readers can tolerate my horrible schedule and rate of updates, I guess I will still continue. I’m pressed for time, so I don’t want to post new chapters on several sites. From now on, I will only be posting updates on the winglin site.

Here is a link if anyone is still interested in reading:
    http://www.winglin.net/fanfic/persephone

I go under the nickname “persephone” when writing on winglin. Comments are always welcomed, whether good or bad. I hope to see you guys around online. Take care and have a great day, people.

Regards,
    Tweety

Finally another chapter.

I shall visit that site once in awhile to see if you've posted updates for your fanfic.
    where art thou prince? i want to wake up!

Thanks Tweety! I will deffinately go to that site rom now on to see your updates!