Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where has all the charismatic male leads gone????

Default Where has all the charismatic male leads gone????

Can't stand it anymore!!!

There used to be heaps of charasmatic, handsome, charming, versatile and experienced actors in every TVB production. They used to steal your attention whenever on screen and take your breath away. Where have they all gone? The roles are still there but I find the current male leads are not up to it. TVB will miss many opportunities to film certain genres if they do not have this quality in its actors.

Moses is the default male lead but he fails to deliver a suave performance when given all these roles in drama/crime/comedy. He is a very charasmatic guy off-screen (I agree with both hands up) but he looks very tired and bored on TV. He is well-suited for some, but he is not versatile.

Ron, Bosco, Kenneth and Sammul act OK but I don't feel they can carry a series by themselves due to experience or boyish looks. Raymond can act great but he lacks versatile roles. He always gets the good guy (talented, childish, family guy) role by default which can be very repetitive. I remember watching "The Four Constables" and being bored to death even though there are 4 main male leads as they couldn't show a screen presence. They looked very good and acting wasn't bad, but they don't steal any scenes. :

Kevin has bored me too death many times before even though he is a very attractive man. Same with Joe Ma.

Roger and Sunny are great but they are hardly ever in a TVB series. Gallen is away again. Bobby is funny but not charasmatic in that way. Michael Miu and Steven keeps doing unchallenging roles. If not for Wayne and Bowie, I would have lost all hope in TVB male leads. Lucky Felix is finally back.

TVB, I am very bored!!!
    Please bring back Adam Cheng, Damian Lau, Kwong Wah, Jackie Lui, Gilbert Lam, Deric Wan, Eddie Kwan, Eddie Cheung, David Siu & Julian Cheung!

I WANT ADAM CHENG!!!!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Damian Lau, Kwong Wah, Deric Wan, David Siu, Julian Cheung

great actors
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Can't stand it anymore!!!

There used to be heaps of charasmatic, handsome, charming, versatile and experienced actors in every TVB production. They used to steal your attention whenever on screen and take your breath away. Where have they all gone? The roles are still there but I find the current male leads are not up to it. TVB will miss many opportunities to film certain genres if they do not have this quality in its actors.

Moses is the default male lead but he fails to deliver a suave performance when given all these roles in drama/crime/comedy. He is a very charasmatic guy off-screen (I agree with both hands up) but he looks very tired and bored on TV. He is well-suited for some, but he is not versatile.

Ron, Bosco, Kenneth and Sammul act OK but I don't feel they can carry a series by themselves due to experience or boyish looks. Raymond can act great but he lacks versatile roles. He always gets the good guy (talented, childish, family guy) role by default which can be very repetitive. I remember watching "The Four Constables" and being bored to death even though there are 4 main male leads as they couldn't show a screen presence. They looked very good and acting wasn't bad, but they don't steal any scenes. :

Kevin has bored me too death many times before even though he is a very attractive man. Same with Joe Ma.

Roger and Sunny are great but they are hardly ever in a TVB series. Gallen is away again. Bobby is funny but not charasmatic in that way. Michael Miu and Steven keeps doing unchallenging roles. If not for Wayne and Bowie, I would have lost all hope in TVB male leads. Lucky Felix is finally back.

TVB, I am very bored!!!
    Please bring back Adam Cheng, Damian Lau, Kwong Wah, Jackie Lui, Gilbert Lam, Deric Wan, Eddie Kwan, Eddie Cheung, David Siu & Julian Cheung!

I WANT ADAM CHENG!!!!
    well i am not bored with TVB ?
    Moses Chan was a movies actor before he join TVB ,HE is charasmatic AND cool in acting as bodyguard in Young And Dangerous 2 ,maybe this year he act in 3 comedy some bored of him ,this guy is good act in gangster ,he shine in tvb the ultimate crime fighter and other ,difference people have different on him .
    Kenneth can be great if he given more opportunity to act in main lead ,this guy actually steal l the show his 2 tv serias he start with Kevin Cheng in A Fistful of Stances and Raymond Lam ,this guy is good looking too .
    Micheal Tse is great in gangster ,i like to watch this guy .
    Wayne Lai is great in acting in comedy and Villian .
    Adam Cheng have current filming a serial with Moses Chan and Julian Cheung have a TVB new drama The Winter of Flying Fish with Micheal tse .
    Well the shall bring back Ekin Cheng .
    anyways Bring back star of 1980an is okay for me like Felix Wong but star of 1970an was too old to take lead except TVB bring back Chow Yun Fat ,anyways for me serial will be bored with them around with given father role .
    Last edited by galvatron; 10-15-10 at 10:06 AM.

Recent lead actors with best screen presence is Bowie Lam and Wayne Lai, IMO. I feel like Moses does better in comedies than drama and I like Raymond Lam as more of a bad boy (his old roles --> he's become stale as the young good looking nice guy). I've taken to thinking that Bosco just looks bored and snarky all the time but he is such eye candy.

Don't think Michael Tse can carry a lead role himself yet - but he does have screen presence.
    -------------------

I know this is off-topic, but I am glad there are many great versatile female leads now (much more than what I can recall growing up) - Sheren Teng, Ada Choi, Charmaine, Gigi Lai (sad she retired), Teresa Mo, Ester Kwan (semi retired), Xiao Mei Kei (forgot her English name).

Quote Originally Posted by galvatron View Post
    well i am not bored with TVB ?
    Moses Chan was a movies actor before he join TVB ,HE is charasmatic AND cool in acting as bodyguard in Young And Dangerous 2 ,maybe this year he act in 3 comedy some bored of him ,this guy is good act in gangster ,he shine in tvb the ultimate crime fighter and other ,difference people have different on him .
    Kenneth can be great if he given more opportunity to act in main lead ,this guy actually steal l the show his 2 tv serias he start with Kevin Cheng in A Fistful of Stances and Raymond Lam ,this guy is good looking too .
    Micheal Tse is great in gangster ,i like to watch this guy .
    Wayne Lai is great in acting in comedy and Villian .
    Adam Cheng have current filming a serial with Moses Chan and Julian Cheung have a TVB new drama The Winter of Flying Fish with Micheal tse .
    Well the shall bring back Ekin Cheng .
    anyways Bring back star of 1980an is okay for me like Felix Wong but star of 1970an was too old to take lead except TVB bring back Chow Yun Fat ,anyways for me serial will be bored with them around with given father role .
    I feel Moses can act, but he needs to be given the right role. TVB is giving him too many unsuitable roles for him to try that is not helping him gain experience. A comedy now and then is fine, but too many slapstick comedies in a row doesn't do his acting any good. I think he did fine in "Land of Wealth" where he was very subtle and zen as well as in "Beyond The Realm of Conscience" where he needed to battle for survival, but he was horrible as the outward bratty playboy in "The Gem of Life" and as a hothead in "War And Beauty". As for his comedy, he used to be fine I think he does well with normal comedies like "Family Man", "The Gentle Crackdown", etc.. but in slapstick ones like "In the Eye Of the Beholder" and "Can't Buy Me Love", he is very uninspiring with his heavy overacting (plus the terrible scripts).

So as I said, he needs to get the right roles in order to shine. I am looking forward to him as a pscyho in the upcoming "Pschological Warfare". But he is still far behind when comapred to those actors that I mentioned.

Kenneth needs some more mature roles like in "The Brink Of Law". Someone needs to give Bosco some tragic role so he can train in subtle acting. Looking forward to him as the incompetent emperor in the upcoming Qing drama. He's got the innocence and sorrowful look.

In conclusion, TVB needs to train the next generation in variety roles so they can search for their talents, while putting current first male leads in suitable roles that will win awards or commendations instead of every big production for promotion only. I think in the female leads, TV is doing fine.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I personally think Bosco has loads of screen presence. TVB should just let him focus on acting and give him good teachers so that he can become an actor who can act good and with great charisma.

Sammul is my personal favourite. So, I'll be bias. So, won't talk liao.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

i dont consider moses having great screen presence. in comedy series, hes always that same wacko that does stupid things and face emotions; it doesnt give me the "moses appeared, omg! feeling (no gay feelings intended)" unlike someone like david siu, he has an excellent aura. In a serious series, i jsut cant take moses seriously, u can call me bias b/c hes in so many comedy series or u can call it bad acting or bad screen presence.

Out of all the new male actors, Kenneth Ma is my favorite. There is just something so likable and solid about him. I'd like to see him in a relatively serious role like an antihero or melancholic. His build is wonderful for ancient costumes and modern outfits alike, but I feel that a modern series doesn't complement his face so much. I struggled through "A Fistful of Stances" for him, lol.

I think that both Bosco Wong and Sammul Chan both have great screen presence...but in different ways. It's hard for me to describe. Sammul feels like a much more mature actor [and person haha] than Bosco. But Bosco has a very interesting look and could pull quirky off well, I'd bet. As for Raymond, I think he's awesome and very capable of carrying a whole series by himself. I love him in his morally ambiguous roles but don't like him as much in his straight arrow roles. They're just not interesting.

I don't care for Ron Ng, Kevin Cheng or Moses Chan. I consider Wayne Lai on a plane above all the previously mentioned actors in my post.
    I like me.

everything steven ma stars in as main lead is gold.

he is charismatic in his own charming way, just like michael tse.

i do concede your point though, can't really see alot of the current actors in straight up dead serious roles.

After watching a few TVB series with Kenneth Ma, I kinda like him as well.

There are so many veteran actors to name on my list, and one of them has to be Patrick Tam Yiu Man.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Lets see if the new Mr.HK that look like Michael Miu will have enough charisma when he act in series. So far, he does exudes charisma in interview. But, there are people who exude loads of charisma in real life but fail to bring it on screen.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Lets see if the new Mr.HK that look like Michael Miu will have enough charisma when he act in series. So far, he does exudes charisma in interview. But, there are people who exude loads of charisma in real life but fail to bring it on screen.
    Is this who you're talking about? I took a glance at them and seems like there is no "beauty" among the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    After watching a few TVB series with Kenneth Ma, I kinda like him as well.

There are so many veteran actors to name on my list, and one of them has to be Patrick Tam Yiu Man.
    I like Patrick. I also miss Terry Fan.
    Less Than Perfect

I think the current bred of actors are being drowned by the dwindling practice of TVB and HK entertainment. Some veteran actors have mentioned about how the current artistes need to do everything to keep up with the management requirement and the market.

Bosco is interesting and one of his own and if he can just focus back to acting and maturing himself and his acting(instead of singing) he can be a good actor in the making. He's just too childish and playful in real life and has to give a lot of effort to potray serious mature roles which is the helm of TVB...i quite like his melancholic and subtle potrayal in GTL but i know he can do better...he should stray away from his typical immature happy roles and should be given more melancholic roles which require subtle sorrowful acting.. i hope he will get the incompetent emperor part to sharpen his acting although it's not a main role..

I think Kenneth is good in series such as AFOS where he has powerful scenes that can showcase his dramatic acting...I don't really like how he potrays the flirting playboy cop in MOL..its not what I perceive as a hot playboy..He has a more mature image and behavior than Bosco and can handle more mature characters...Most rolesin TVB actually fares better for more mature actors because TVB dramas are geared to more mature audiences based on my experience of watching TVB..

Raymond has the most legion of fans and the most idolized and with highest success and market so far..he's charming and by now shouldn't have a problem having his own series...I don't have much to say about him but he does has a charming look in most of his series

I don't have much to say about Ron and Kevin but they're among the traditionally best looking ones.....i don't have much to say about Moses too other than the fact that he's popular....lollll

"everything steven ma stars in as main lead is gold."

Second that. Steven has both screen presence and natural, honest acting that come straight from his heart, none of those put on and contrived looks and actions.

I used to like Moses' performances but don't know what happened to his acting lately. If he is awarded as best actor for his role in CBML, then that truly cements the death of TVB.

TVB should let Ron lead a series, it can be a small 20 episode series and it might fail dramatically, but at least it'll give him more pressure to buck up his performance.

For the past two years, Ron has been relegated to supporting or 2nd lead role opposite experienced actors like Sunny Chan, Michael Miu and Damien Lau. Perhaps it's time to test it out.

p.s. I do think that Ron have screen presence, though he tend to over-stare at times.

Quote Originally Posted by mi do ri View Post
    Is this who you're talking about? I took a glance at them and seems like there is no "beauty" among the bunch.
    What is there 'this' you are talking about? You didn't attach any picture or url.

Anyway, the Mr.HK winners usually have screen presence and charisma. But, their acting need a lot of brushing up. Too bad, TVB is not pushing any new actor profusely now. The era where TVB keep pushing an actor no matter his/her acting is gone now. I see now that TVB will give the new MHK/MK one or two chances in a fairly big role, but, if they didn't do well, they will be relegated to supporting roles or minor roles and it will be a looonng time before they get another chance.

I think it's about time Steven gets something for his amazing acting. I've always liked him since his very first series.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    What is there 'this' you are talking about? You didn't attach any picture or url.

Anyway, the Mr.HK winners usually have screen presence and charisma. But, their acting need a lot of brushing up. Too bad, TVB is not pushing any new actor profusely now. The era where TVB keep pushing an actor no matter his/her acting is gone now. I see now that TVB will give the new MHK/MK one or two chances in a fairly big role, but, if they didn't do well, they will be relegated to supporting roles or minor roles and it will be a looonng time before they get another chance.
    thats a good thing. i remember i couldnt stand charmaine sheh, sonija kwok, and shirley yeung from 2000-2005. of course charmaine and sonija improved a lot, and im a fan of charmaine now but it was really bad back then. i rather not suffer another 5 years of horrible acting from a new person.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    thats a good thing. i remember i couldnt stand charmaine sheh, sonija kwok, and shirley yeung from 2000-2005. of course charmaine and sonija improved a lot, and im a fan of charmaine now but it was really bad back then. i rather not suffer another 5 years of horrible acting from a new person.
    But then, they are not grooming new people using this method. They should let the Mr.HK/Ms.HK start small, then slowly give bigger roles, instead of 1 or 2 big roles and forever small roles, which is what happening now.