Thread: Life Begins At Forty

Default Life Begins At Forty

I was wondering, I have read several reviews on this series and consistently I read Charmaine's character is "plain wierd". May I know what's so wierd about her character?
    PointEntertainment @ http://point2e.com [all about Reviews.Comments.Opinions].

i think the reviewers said that because her character is very strong workwise but is totally opposite when it comes to her lovelife. It's like two different person - one confident, the other very emotional. personally i thought that the series was quite nice but the ending was not all rosy and well for everyone.

a little island east of america and west of europe

Haha ... Charmaine's character in this show was just a complete nutter. One minute she is a serious headstrong business woman, the next minute she's a bawling sensitive little girl and then the minute after that, she's threatening to kill poor Alex! She did a great job though and managed to make the character quite endearing... and her grandparents were really funny too!

I quite liked the ending because it's very reflective of real life where things don't always turn out rosy - it was quite refreshing for TVB not to go the easy way out and have happy endings for all.

Originally posted by Em
    I quite liked the ending because it's very reflective of real life where things don't always turn out rosy - it was quite refreshing for TVB not to go the easy way out and have happy endings for all.
    **SPOILER ALERT**
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the scriptwriter tried too hard to make the ending unique that it comes out as forced. The relationship of Chin Ka Lok's character and Claire Yu's character have developed very nicely. Throughout the series, there was no indication that Chin Ka Lok's character was afraid of commitment. But suddenly out of the blue at the 2nd to last episode, he developed a great fear of commitment which broke up the relationship. But not so long after that, apparently, his fear of commitement was gone and he married someone else and Claire Yiu married another person also. What the scriptwriter do that for? I don't think it's reflective of real life. I followed their relationship through the series and saw it developed and I want to see them end happily. Even if they don't end happily, I want the deterioration of their relationship to be gradual, not out of the blue and out of sense.

If they really want to make an ending that reflective of real life, they should just make Charmaine's character move on with her life instead of making her marriage failed and her getting back with Alex's character. (How often in real life did people divorce their spouse and then get back together with their old flames). They even done that part badly, no explaination what so ever on why Charmaine's character's marriage failed. She just say one sentence, Kevin's character and her have divorced. And what more her problem with Alex's character aren't solved yet. They will have the same problem again and again every time Alex's character's career go downhill or Charmaine's character done better in her carreer or earn more money than him.

Although, Anne and Cheung Chi Kwong are my fav couple and I am sad that Cheung Chi Kwong's character get such a sad end and wishing that he has a happier ending, I would say that among the 3 couples, this couple's ending is the most satisfiying and real. The ending is not all that new (characters died of cancer all the time in TVB series), but it does not seem forced and unrealistic.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-10-04 at 09:59 PM.

Default The characters are real

unlike most series all the character in here have depth. Charmaine like most have two face. One she have on for work and one when she's not. Ask yourself if you act the same at work as you do at home or as you do in relationship. The writer just exagerate on that point. As for relationship problems, i'm glad this series finally capture the essence of real relationship problems. It shows that love is illogical and relationship is fickle. You need enormous luck on your side to find the one you love that also love you so that you can have a relationship at just the right stage in life. That is hard. I think the show capture that really well.

speaking of real and fake .... you know what shows is fake ....."triump in the ski" what kind of cheese dialogs are those. No body speak like that. All the characters in that show is so flat no dimension. Yet, it got 5 out of 5 star? ..... i don't get it ...... i'm so upset ..... it should be other way around.....40s should get the 5 star and Triump should get 2.
    A wise man wash his hand after he pee.....a wiser man doesn't pee on his hand