Page 10 of 63 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Book of Sun-Moon Swordplay

Talking

CHAPTER 40 --- BLOOMS OF POISON

Chapter 40 is currently being revised. Please check back for updates. If you wish to be notified about updates on this story or on my other story (Legendary Book - The Prequel), please go to Cloud Manor and choose the "follow blog" option. I also welcome comments, gentle nagging for quicker updates, etc. Thank you for reading.

Mel, I just catch up with the latest 3 chapter, you're getting better I reckon especially the way you describing the fighting and all those details. I can see the improvement you have on the choice of words you are using.

What will happen next? It's only an hour away from the healing process. Please update again!!!!
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Talking

CHAPTER 41 --- NATURE CALLS

Chapter 41 is currently being revised. Please check back for updates. If you wish to be notified about updates on this story or on my other story (Legendary Book - The Prequel), please go to Cloud Manor and choose the "follow blog" option. I also welcome comments, gentle nagging for quicker updates, etc. Thank you for reading.

NO......!!!!!!!!!!

update again please!!!!!

thanks Mel.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Smile

Lingz13: Thanks for dropping by to give me encouragement, even though you do not have time to read. Please update your Heroine of the Yangs site when you get a chance.

FanFan: Hi hi! Long time no talk, fanny! How have you been? Are you in pharmacy school right now?

Cathy: Still running around stalking fanfic writers?

Eeyore: Thanks for the compliment regarding my fighting scenes, eeyore. I am truly struggling with those scenes. Thank goodness the readers are so kind and forgiving as to overlook this story's weaker aspects.

cherrie: Thanks for being such a consistent reader.

And last, but not least, kidd:

kidd wrote on 02-10-2004 01:42 AM:
    Hi, Melanie.

I'm glad that u don't mind my negative comment . I feel most strongly about a story when I'm angry at the action of certain characters in a story. That's why my comment mostly contain negative review. But anyway here's some positive one.

I really like how u write Hung Yee's character. Initially she came across as a shameless gold digger. But the more I read about her the more I like her because even though she repeatedly said she wants to marry rich, I feel that she truly loves Mun Lung (and it turns out I was right hehe). That was part of the reason I want her to succeed in wooing Mun Lung. Another reason I want her to succeed is that I was annoyed with Mun Lung treating
    her so coldly and acted like she was the most louthsome person in the world. So, even before I feel that Hung Yee truly loves Mun Lung, I still want her to succeed. And I have this weird idea of Hung Yee succeeded in making Mun Lung fall for her. And after Mun Lung fall for her, his attitude towards her changes and her treats her really really well. This touches Hung Yee very much and she began to love him more than the money. After that they
    live happily ever after. Haha.

As for Sui Han, now that I know all her timid, damsel-in-distress act is for a mission, I don't hate her anymore. Now, I feel that among all her actions, the one when she was looking at the hairpins are the most real of her. The fainting, hiding behind Wai Sun's back, insisting on becoming a servant to replace debt, it's all an act. But looking at the hairpin in wonder, that was the real her. I'm not sure about the teasing in the kitchen and the outburst in the servant room though.
    Now that this turn of events is revealed, I am confuse about one part of the story in the earlier chapter. Did Sui Han really escape from the brothel? Are the people in the brothel Sun Moon Sect's member too? When Sui Han was thinking to herself, why did she say another girl in the brothel help her escape? Did this event really happen? She can definitely escape by herself. And if it was all a planned before hand, she definited doesn't need to mentioned the girl to herself and make it sound like she was really lucky this girl help her escape.

On to Wai Sun. Love certainly make him lost mind. The guy is going on a dangerous. How can he think of bringing a defenseless girl on the journey? If he is really rasional he would realise how dangerous is it for the girl. He should have brought a servant who knows martial arts. But he so wanted to be with Sui Han that he lost all common sense.

Lastly, Tin Lok. The part where he was jealous of Wai Sun is so funny. "I don't like the way he dresses" - that is the only thing he can think of to dislike Wai Sun. And he has to nod to reaffirm his opinion. That was way too funny. Hahaha.
    Don't worry about being honest with your opinions. I would rather receive honest constructive criticism rather than dishonest, sugary words of praise.

To answer your question about Sui Han's encounter in the brothel... No, the prostitutes and brothel Madam are not part of the Sun Moon Sect. Of course, Sui Han has sufficient martial arts skills to escape the brothel had she wanted to. However, Sui Han did not use her skills, because she wished for the whole setup to appear "real," just in case gossip ever got around to the Lam Family that her stay at the house of prostitution was orchestrated.

As to why I reveal to the readers about Sui Han's thoughts on Mong Ching (the prostitute who helped her escape), I mean to do so in order to lull the readers into believing that Sui Han is truly a damsel in distress. I want her connection to the Sun Moon Sect to come as a surprise as the story progresses. I guess in doing that, I manage to confuse you. Sorry.

I am a pretty devoted Annie Man fan, as some of you can tell by now. I have seen almost all of her serials, all of which she plays the cute, lively, comedic girl next door. Honestly, I am tired of such roles for her. I believe that she has the potential to branch out and conquer other types of roles. Hence, her character in this story is not meant to be immediately likeable. Sui Han is not the stereotypical funny and cute girl seen in the tv series. I intend for this character to be a bit more ambivalent, one who walks a fine line between good and evil. As a little girl, she was raised by her parents in a farming village. Her comfortable and secure world ended when her family met an untimely and tragic death. Many villagers, being superstitious, narrow-minded folks, blamed her family's tragedy on her, claiming that she was bad luck. Hence, Sui Han's young life was rife with tears. As you read more of the story, you will learn that Sui Han's childhood is quite tragic. She was basically homeless after her parents' death. Villagers would not even allow her to sleep on the streets outside of their cottages, for fear that they would "catch" her bad luck. The only brightness in her young life was her Brother Ka Wing, a young man who took pity on her and found her a shack to live in and brought her food whenever he could. Unfortunately, he, too, encountered misfortune. He was attacked by mountain bandits while on his way to visit her. Many believed that he died from the attack, as nobody ever heard of him again. Hence, the villagers once again blamed his "death" on Sui Han and her bad luck. They forcibly sold her into prostitution to rid themselves of her presence. Luckily, the Sun Moon Sect Leader, after deciding that she would be rather useful to his plans, rescued her from a life of prostitution. As she was a grateful person who paid her dues, she swore allegiance to the Sun Moon Sect. Her fondness for Tin Lok further sealed her loyalty to this sect. Being naive of the schemes and intrigue of the martial arts world, she readily agreed to infiltrate into the "evil" Lam Family and pass information to her godfather (the Sun Moon Sect Leader). However, she soon began to question her role in this game as she slowly realized that the Lams were kind, upright people, not the monsters her godfather made them out to be.

Hopefully, this will clarify some of your questions. I look forward to reading more of your comments.

Thank you for reading, everyone.

hi mel! honestly, i don't like gilbert's character that much. sure he's good, gentlemanly, great son, great fighter, great lover, perfect in short. but he's way toooo perfect! but well, that's the common lead character. but i think it would be better if you make gilbert a human, not a saint. (if you get what i mean) adding some weaknesses on gilbert's character will actually make his character more believable and loveable (imo) i actually like louis' character more than gilbert's. coz louis is 'human' (o gosh, i can't forget gilbert's acting in burning flames 2 as a gay! completely opposite in his character here!) anyway back to my comments...
    as much as i enjoy reading star-studded fanfics, i find it rather confusing to have so many characters in a story. don't get me wrong. your story is really good. the casts are also great. but somehow, due to the many characters involved and the not that fast duration of the updates, i tend to forget some of the characters already. or mainly get confused as to who he/she is. i suggest narrowing down.
    i also noticed that there's an imbalance between the good and evil characters. seems that you have too many good characters. i suggest more evil characters. maybe some of the good characters would turn evil (but not steven and frankie pls )
    these are my comments as of now. keep up the good work mel!
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Smile

Advice noted, cherrie. Actually, I agree that there are too many characters, but I am still debating who to get rid of. Will begin to kill off some characters and perhaps lure some over to the evil side. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've read a few more chapters now. So I've got another question.

Question:
    You wrote that in Sui Han's previous incarnation (500 years ago), she was shunned by the villagers because of her special ability. So, she live in the forest all alone. Since she has never seen a man close up, I assume that she grew up all alone in the forest. If that is so, how can the villagers recognise her (they immediately chase her out of the village the moment they saw her) when she went down to the village after she grew up?
    If she has went down several times to the village she should have seen plenty of men, so would not be so curious about that injured guy.

Comment:
    Tin Lok is fast becoming my favourite character, replacing Chi Chi. I love his childish antics that stem from his jealousy. Appearance wise he is all cool and dangerous, behavior wise, he acts like a jealous little boy, critisizing Wai Sun's dress when he has nothing bad to say, and chasing after Wai Sun insisting on a duel because he was jealous of seeing Wai Sun and Sui Han together. My favourite part among these few recent chapters I have read is the duel between Wai Sun and Tin Lok, and the part where they get injured and have to stay put in the cave together. I love Tin Lok's deadly stare and Wai Sun's amused look. I hope they stuck together longer. They have great chemistry.

As for Wai Sun's perfection. I don't think he is perfect but very near. He is perfect in every way except one, that is, he lost rasional thinking every time he is with Sui Han. Sui Han is his weakness.

The one I actually felt is perfect is Sui Han. She is beautiful, intelligent, good-hearted and have great martial arts. And now, she becomes the all powerful Seer too. There is not flaw in her.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-16-04 at 12:36 AM.

Smile

Hi, kidd and cherrie. Thanks for your insightful comments. I had a long day today and was feeling kinda down. I really like writing, but I find it harder and harder to find time to write nowadays in between school, sleep, and personal life. Some days, I am very discouraged, as nobody seems to be reading the story. Or if they are, they are too shy to speak up. But what keeps me writing are the few devoted readers who keep coming back. I consider myself very fortunate to have such wonderful readers. This story is far from perfect. In fact, the story's flaws are innumerable and probably too embarrassing to even mention in this forum full of talented writers. And yet, the majority of readers are so forgiving of my shortcomings and so generous with their comments and time. Thank you for making my day more bearable with your nice remarks.

To answer a few of kidd's questions:

1) Ching Ching, although an outcast and shunned by the villagers, is a curious girl. Who could blame her for wanting human contact? After all, it is very lonely to live like a hermit. Therefore, from time to time, she would sneak into town to observe people from afar. Every so often, someone would spot her and chase her away. As it is not her first time venturing into town, the villagers have no problem recognizing her. She is so fascinated by the unconscious man at her doorstep mainly because she has never seen another human up close and personal. Remember, she has only seen them from afar.

2) I'm glad you like Tin Lok, as I am fond of Louis Koo myself. I first fell in love with him in Cold Blood Warm Heart. He was nice and pale back then. I am not too sure I like his "charcoal" look now, though... His character is kinda cute, isn't he, with this endearing jealousy? Your comment about Wai Sun and Tin Lok having fabulous chemistry (along with cherrie's comment about Gilbert Lam's gay character in Burning Flames 2) nearly had me choking on my glass of water.

3) It's interesting to see differing views between you and cherrie regarding Wai Sun's character. Actually, you are both right, in a sense. Wai Sun does seem too perfect and too good to be true right now. He is the eldest son of the Chancellor of the martial arts world, and most likely also the heir to this prestigious position. He has the love of his parents and the admiration of his younger siblings. He is also blessed with superior martial arts skills. However, it is also very true that his one weakness is Sui Han. As he has never encountered hardship in his life yet, we do not know how he will react once he realizes that his beloved is a spy and loves someone else. Will this paragon topple? Wai Sun also has a few more flaws, one of them being too cocky and proud. Recall his smirks at Tin Lok during their duel, as he believes he is superior to Tin Lok. He is too confident of his own abilities and lacks humility - the very element which can make him a true hero.

4) Actually, it is very interesting that you find Sui Han to be perfect, as I did not intend for her to be. She has the love of two handsome men. But is this a blessing or tragedy in disguise? To be truly loved once in a lifetime by a good man is a blessing. But to be loved simultaneously by two men in the same lifetime may actually cause confusion, uncertainty, and lead to heartbreak for all three at the end.

Default keep it up

Hi Melaine,

Keep it up. I have been a silent reader of yours for a while now and find your writing style impressive. I know how you feel at times, trying to fit in personal life, work, ect... and sometimes when you're down its very sapping in motivation, especially when you find not too many people seem to be reading your story.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the various flaws and errors in the story so far. Like mine there are various inconsistencies. It's always good to write from the 'heart' first and say what is on your mind. The story comes second. And if you decide to edited later when you've actualy finished the entire story, that's where the masterpeice will be as you'll be writing with the 'mind' and not the 'heart'.

Sometimes I cringe when I see my own errors, but I am often writing on a laptop on a bus or plane or in a hotel room, from one meeting to another. That's why it's so hard to keep your thoughts going.

But I think you've done a very good job. SO keep it up.

Long
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Originally posted by Melanie
    Your comment about Wai Sun and Tin Lok having fabulous chemistry (along with cherrie's comment about Gilbert Lam's gay character in Burning Flames 2) nearly had me choking on my glass of water.
    So naughty of u . My comment is perfectly innocent , u know?

Originally posted by Melanie
    Sun also has a few more flaws, one of them being too cocky and proud.
    Oh, yeah. Forgot his cockiness. Now, I did recall one of your readers mention that Wai Sun is arrogant.

now as you mentioned it, i recall that gilbert was indeed too arrogant. never noticed that point until you pointed that out. im now watching looking back in anger and i saw a much younger gilbert lam there he's very very arrogant there!
    another suggestion i thought of just now was that maybe you can devote some more effort in developing the characters of other casts
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Smile

Cherrie: What role does Gilbert play in Looking Back in Anger? How is he like? Any pics?

CHAPTER 42 --- THE MASTER'S LAIR

Chapter 42 is currently being revised. Please check back for updates. If you wish to be notified about updates on this story or on my other story (Legendary Book - The Prequel), please go to Cloud Manor and choose the "follow blog" option. I also welcome comments, gentle nagging for quicker updates, etc. Thank you for reading.

he's quite a cameo there so i have doubts whether there will have pics of him from that series. i'll try to upload the episode if it will not take a long time.
    anyway, great chapter! left some comments in winglin
    btw, gilbert's character there was he had the same birthdate as felix and carina. but they have very different fates. he's an arrogant noveau rich...i think he made his fortunes through architecture or something like that. however, he went downhill through the years and eventually died of a car accident
    cherrie

Just wonder. If Ka Wing has not loss his memory after the attack by the bandits, why didn't he at least write home to tell his family that he is ok? Did he know how to write or not? Even if he didn't, he can still ask someone else to write for him.

Smile

cherrie: So how many times does Gilbert appear in Looking Back with Anger? I bet he looks very young! How does his hair look like? What types of clothes does he wear in the serial?

kidd: Nope, Ka Wing has no family back in his village. That's the main reason why he does not return or write back. And yes, he does know a few Chinese characters, but he is overall not well educated, given that he grew up in a farming village.

CHAPTER 43 --- GREETINGS FROM THE MASTER

Chapter 43 is currently being revised. Please check back for updates. If you wish to be notified about updates on this story or on my other story (Legendary Book - The Prequel), please go to Cloud Manor and choose the "follow blog" option. I also welcome comments, gentle nagging for quicker updates, etc. Thank you for reading.

This is great reading! Keep up the good work!

kidd: Nope, Ka Wing has no family back in his village. That's the main reason why he does not return or write back. And yes, he does know a few Chinese characters, but he is overall not well educated, given that he grew up in a farming village.
    But Melanie, I remember one part where Sui Han recounted that Ka Wing shielded her from his mom when the woman tried to beat her. So, his mom died before that bandit attack incident?

BTW, even if Ka Wing used to work hard all day at the farm, it won't explain his exatraordinary strength that he can pick up a big rocks and hold down people with great internal energy like Ho Man. U might as well say that Ka Wing is born with extraordinary strength. Haha.

nice suspense, melanie. i will be looking forward to who the Master is. By the way, why was the Blue Diamond Rapist's eye pupils dilating?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Smile

gigglypuff: Thanks for reading. Are you at the beginning of the story? Which part do you like so far?

kidd: Oops! I guess I forgot what I wrote in the beginning of the story regarding Ka Wing! Which chapter did I say Ka Wing shielded Sui Han from his mother? I will go back and correct it. My intention is for Ka Wing to be an orphan when he met Sui Han. With both being orphans, they bonded and treated each other like siblings. And Ka Wing is suppose to be blessed with brute strength, not internal energy, since he does not know martial arts...yet. Using brute force, he could probably hold Ho Man down for a very short while, but would get overpowered very quickly. Which chapter are you on, kidd? I can't seem to figure out where you are, since you pop in and out so sporadically.

charbydis: Hiya! I still have a lot to say about your Zhuang Zhan Chi. But...Green Shadow is so I made Blue Executioner's eyes dilate as a way of showing that he was lost in his own panicked world, where he saw nothing but murder and revenge since he knew he might not get out of that cell alive anyway. Kinda went overboard with the special effects... Yea, I guess everyone is wondering who the Master is, including myself... Just kidding. I already know who this person is.