Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: A Legacy of Secrets

Talking

Chapter 15, at last , I like Sui Fa's rebellion against Suet Lung - shows that she is quite a strong character in fact, even with all the influences as a result of being raised in an unorthodox sect.

As for Wai Ming however, wow, she seems to be quite a

Good chapter... and you even left it on a cliffhanger , more soon plz ...
    Last edited by MYF; 06-30-03 at 01:02 PM.
    my right arm slams shut

yeah........but I sure hope that Suet Long is only testing Sui Fa....
    he shouldn't be that mean to her

anyway......I hope we are getting to read chapter 16 very soon...or else I'm going to find some rotten tomatoes
    I've been touch by an angel
    I've been bless by the power of Sioben
    I can hardly believe you're that short!!

Sioben: 'ohh....shut up'

Post Announcement

I've decided to put this fanfic on hold and work on my modern fanfic "Destined to Love You" because frankly I'm still brainstorming on how I could continue with ALOS's storyline and what should happen next.

Don't worry, I will be finishing this story no matter what, I just need to put it on hold to do a whole lotta brainstorming and reading...to better write this story for y'all. I think to be a good writer, you need to be a good reader and observe how other writers present characters and situations in their story and learn from them too. So I hope when I post a new chapter for this one, my writing skills would prove to be an improvement.

Until then, please tuned in with my modern fanfic "Destined to Love You" or my co-written story "Tales of Vengeance".

Silent readers please speak up for your comments motivates us to write and it's always good to get some feedback.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Talking Chapter 16: Choices and Punishments

Chapter 16: Choices and Punishments

Noel Leung as Yip Wai Ming (叶慧明)
    Louis Koo as Chiu Tin Hung
    Jacky Lui as Lam Ting Yip
    Ada Choi as Sui Fa
    Derek Kwok Jing Hung as Bak Suet Lung

Wandering amongst the lanterns and cheerfulness of the crowd that night, reminded Yip Wai Ming very much of the Mid-Autumn Festivals she used to spend celebrating with her whole family, many years ago. For a moment she could not contain her happiness in seeing the lanterns, only for that magic moment to dissolve all too soon. She felt Lam Ting Yip’s hand in hers pull her back violently and then she turned around to see it was not him. Her eyes widen as her eyes fell upon the young man whom she had met a couple days earlier. His eyes met hers with a layer of anger, worry and fatigue.

She immediately let go of Chiu Tin Hung’s hand and began to stutter unknowingly, “Wha…wha…what are you doing here?!”

Chiu Tin Hung ignored the questioning and pulled her aside a stone wall where it was less crowded. “I could ask you the same question,” he replied and looked at her from head to toe as if examining her for any visual sign of injury.

“What? Haven’t you ever seen a beautiful maiden before?” Yip Wai Ming replied nervously.

When Chiu Tin Hung found no traces of injury on her, he asked “Can I see your hand?” She thought of refusing him but the look of genuine concern on his face made her obeyed without any resistance. He gently held her wrist in one hand and took her pulse using the other hand. Chiu Tin Hung’s eyes focused on her wrist and the rhythm of her pulse. Yip Wai Ming stared from her captured wrist to Chiu Tin Hung’s face.

Without looking at Yip Wai Ming, he said, “Must you stare at me like that? I should really be asking you if you ever seen a handsome young man before?”

Yip Wai Ming looked away shyly. “You really have no humility do you? You dare call yourself handsome?! Never in my entire life have I met anyone as arrogant as you!”

Chiu Tin Hung smirked at her remark. Being much taller than her, he looked down at her inquisitively. “The rhythm of your pulse is normal and healthy, how strange…”
    “Of course it is healthy. What is so strange about good health?” She asked.

She stood there looking at him, thinking ‘This guy is really weird. He must be the one who is unhealthy right here” She pointed a finger to her head.

“Back on Flower Mountain when the White Fox clan attacked, you disappeared. Your handmaid said that you were taken away by a mysterious figure clad in brown attire and a straw hat. Were you taken away by force?” Chiu Tin Hung asked her.

“You are truly a strange man. First of all, Siu Ling is not my handmaid. She is my friend. I keep telling her to stop seeing herself as my maid. I’ve only fed and clothed her once and now she sees me as her life savior,” Wai Ming said shaking her head, “And second, that mysterious person you speak of is my great friend since childhood. He thought I was in danger and took me away. I would appreciate it if you would stop speaking such nonsense in front of me again!”

“Strange? You haven’t shown any sign of gratitude for me but instead insulted in my face. I have never seen a young maiden who is equally ugly inside as she is on the outside,” Chiu Tin Hung responded sharply.

“Gratitude? Ugly? How dare you speak this way to me?” Yip Wai Ming was truly annoyed this time and raised her hand to hit Chiu Tin Hung, only to fail miserably. His sharp reflexes enabled him to catch her wrist timely. Knowing that she failed the first time, Wai Ming instantly thought of an undefeated trick she had learnt years ago from her older sister. She took out an acupuncture needle and pretended to use it and just as she expected, he blocked her needle attack in time to receive a stone hard kick in the shin.

“Ouch! You little…” Chiu Tin Hung raised his hand to slap her but at the last moment he remembered that his sifu had taught him that it is never justifiable for a gentleman to hit a woman, which made him furious as he kept his freed hand up in mid air. Once Yip Wai Ming saw that he was defeated, she laughed out loud. When Wai Ming thought she had won, she found out it was too soon to underestimate her enemy. Chiu Tin Hung instantly countered her attack with a pinch in the cheek.

“Ouchhhhhh! Let go of my face! How dare you harass a poor defenseless girl?” Yip Wai Ming cried out, while preparing to launch another kick into Chiu Tin Hung’s leg. But like all good tricks, it can only be used once when dealt with a clever opponent. Chiu Tin Hung is a smart one. He didn’t fell for it twice. He immediately blocked her attack and forced her foot to go down and stepped on it.

Chiu Tin Hung was never really a harasser of women but somehow he found joy in teasing Yip Wai Ming. Perhaps, for all that time she ran off with his family heirloom, the jade flute and slapping him randomly. Tonight vengeance was finally his for the taking. Yip Wai Ming pouted her lips but with Chiu Tin Hung still holding on to that pinch hold of her cheek, it looked incredibly funny. It was so funny that Chiu Tin Hung had to laugh at her facial expression.

“It is not funny! Ting Yip gor! Where are you? How could you let something like this happen to me?” Was what Yip Wai Ming tried to say but what came out sounded like a drunken person slurring her words.

Chiu Tin Hung continued to laugh freely. “Wai Ming mui, can you say that again? I could not understand what you have said at all.”

‘That sounded like Ting Yip gor,’ thought Yip Wai Ming. She had been closing her eyes with tears trickling down her cheeks as she agonized in pain. Indeed when she opened her eyes, it was Lam Ting Yip looking very amused. He was not even coming to her rescue, but joining sides with the enemy! She decided to cry harder in hope he would take pity on her. “What heartless person would allow this injustice to happen? Ouch it hurts! It hurts!”

Lam Ting Yip’s heart was already feeling the pain for Yip Wai Ming but before he could speak and ask Chiu Tin Hung to release her. Chiu Tin Hung had already done so.

“Please, Miss Yip, I ask for your forgiveness for taking such joy in the expense of your pain,” Chiu Tin Hung said with a polite bow of the head to his cupped hands.

Yip Wai Ming ignored the apology and hopped on one leg while rubbing her cheek with one hand. She hopped to a nearby noodle stand and started to simultaneously rub her poor cheek and her foot. The two young men followed her to a table at the outdoor noodle stand and sat down.

“Wai Ming, see what you got yourself in to when I am not around to protect you?”

Yip Wai Ming ignored Lam Ting Yip as well. “Waiter, give me a bowl of beef noodle soup, I’m hungry”

“Waiter, give me a bowl as well,” said the two young man in unison.

“Yes sir! Yes sir! Three bowls of my famous beef noodles soup coming up!”

In no time three freshly made bowls of beef noodle soup were set down upon the table. The two men were just reaching for their chopsticks when Yip Wai Ming received two small bowls of vinegar and spicy chili pepper sauce from the noodle vender. They both looked surprised as to why she would need vinegar and spicy chili pepper sauce until she poured all of the vinegar into Lam Ting Yip’s bowl and the chili pepper sauce into Chiu Tin Hung’s bowl.

“Eat it and I will forgive you both for your wrongdoings,” said Yip Wai Ming before she started to enjoy her delicious bowl of noodles.

Each of the men looked at their bowls and each other’s and laughed.

“Wai Ming ah, do you really expect me to eat this?” Lam Ting Yip smiled, hoping for an escape from the punishment.

But all she said in reply was, “Eat up! Your noodles soup is getting cold. Noodle vendor, your noodles soup is wonderful. The flavor of your beef is superb. I hope these two would agree as well.”

Chiu Tin Hung looked at his spicy bowl of beef noodle soup and picked up his chopsticks and started to eat it. Yip Wai Ming looked on with enjoyment. Lam Ting Yip who had been hesitating in touching his bowl, stared at Yip Wai Ming’s happy face upon seeing that Chiu Tin Hung had started to eat his spicy bowl. Strangely, Lam Ting Yip felt a pang of jealously building inside of him.

Meanwhile in a humble woodcutter’s cottage laid a wounded Sui Fa, awakening from her slumber in cold sweat and shock. Beads of perspiration flowed down her face and neck. Her clothes were not her own. She was clothed in what looked like poor raggedy farmer women’s clothes with floral patterns. She suddenly felt a sharp pain in her shoulder and remembered immediately what had happened to her. For it had remained fresh in her subconscious as a nightmare, she wanted desperately to get out of. But she did not scream or yell like she had often done as a child. The images of that nightmare were still playing in her mind when the rapping sound of someone knocking on her door finally got through to her. Sui Fa quickly sprang forth and grabbed a small knife lying on the table and waited for her prey to walk through the door. Her heart raced as the door opened and the bright sunlight flew in. Sui Fa’s eyes squinted to see who was at her door; it was none other than her hunter.

She winced as the pain in her wounded shoulder caught up to her. Bak Suet Lung walked in calmly with his hands carrying a tray which contained a bowl of hot porridge and another one with herbal medicine.
    He gestured for Sui Fa to come sit down at the table but she looked on hesitantly. ‘What is going on here,’ Sui Fa wondered silently as Bak Suet Lung picked up the bowl of herbal medicine and blew softly on it.

When she refused to move from her spot, Bak Suet Lung came by her side and helped her walk over to the table and gently pushed her down onto the wooden bench seat. Pain continued to consume her but fear stilled her body leaving only her eyes to stare at the one who had hunted her. Bak Suet Lung lifted the spoon from the medicine bowl and tasted it. Pleased that it had finally cooled down for his patient to drink and then he looked at her. He was surprised at first, for the look in her eyes was the same fierce eyes that stared back at him weeks ago. His eyes went back to the medicine bowl as he held it up to Sui Fa.

“Drink this, it will help heal your wounds faster,” said Bak Suet Lung, without looking into her eyes again.

Sui Fa looked back and forth from her young master and the herbal medicine bowl in his hand. Slowly but carefully she took the bowl from him and drank it obediently. It was not because she wanted to accept his medicine bowl; she was simply in too much pain to resist any further. She only responded to her instinct and the desire to live. Once she was finished with the medicine and placed it down unto the table. Bak Suet Lung smiled and gave her the small bowl of hot porridge, only after he had cooled it down enough for her to eat. She accepted the bowl of porridge again without any refusal. And when she was done eating the rice porridge, she stood up and walk slowly towards her bed. But before she could reach her bed, she collapsed and started to fall onto the floor. However, when she opened her eyes again, she was in Bak Suet Lung’s arms. His arms felt safe but the images in her mind alarmed her heart again.

“Don’t touch me,” She said. It was all she had to say to strike pain onto him. His face was expressionless again but his dark brown eyes were alive and it looked pain stricken.

He helped her onto the bed and covered her in the blanket. She continued to look at him, wondering why he was acting so nicely to her. She had heard many stories from the maids at White Fox Fortress of how this young master had treated someone who had dared to make him cross. As brave as she wanted to be, she could not help feeling afraid of him.

“Sui Fa, take good rest and you should recover in a matter of days. I...I will protect you always, remember that,” He told her. And with the promise to protect her always, he left the room after clearing the table.

Hours later, she awoke and the room was pitched dark. She guessed it was either night or early morning. Then suddenly the door creaked opened, using an elbow she lifted herself up to see who or what had entered her room. The light from the lantern shone on the face of that person. It appeared to be an elderly woman. After she had lit the candle in Sui Fa’s room, she stepped closer to take a look at Sui Fa.

“I apologize, did I wake you up?” The old lady asked her, looking quite worried.

“Don’t apologize. I am trained to be a light sleeper. What brings you here at this hour?” Sui Fa replied as she lay down again.

The old woman sat down beside the bed and placed a hand on Sui Fa’s head. “Your fever has gone down. Your husband has taken good care of you. Did you know how worried he looked when he carried you to my home? I swear he was ready to switch places with you when he saw how much pain you were in. My husband is a woodcutter, he helped removed the arrow. You are very lucky to be alive! Your husband stayed by your bedside for three days and night. You remind me of my husband and me when we were young.”

When Sui Fa did not say anything, the old lady continued to talk. “Your husband is very generous. Did you know what he did for my husband?”

Sui Fa continued to say nothing and the old lady also continued to talk. “Mister Bak had hunted a ferocious tiger and gave us the fur to be sold in the market. Many people fought over the tiger fur and so my husband was able to sell it for a very good price. Madame Bak the Gods must favor us very much. They sent you, your husband and the tiger all in the same day. Oh, I’m sorry. I am told by my husband that I talk too much. I should let you get more sleep. Here are your clothes. I have washed all the blood stains out and I have mended places where the arrow had pierced your shoulder.”

Sui Fa felt very confused. Why did the old lady call her by that name? What made her think she was married to Bak Suet Lung? And the story about the hunted tiger…if the tiger came during the same time he had brought her in, was he really hunting the tiger? But his arrow wounded her, which was no mistake, or was it? She did not know what to think or more like she did not want to think about any of it. She was still recovering from a very bad wound. Bak Suet Lung walked into her room with a tray of porridge and medicine again.

“Who changed my clothes? Who has been treating my wounds?” The questions came out of her mouth before she could take them back. True curiosity took over her.

Bak Suet Lung kept a calm face and looked at her. “There is only one answer to your questions. Me.”

Sui Fa was completely shocked by his answer. Yet he continued to look unbothered by it. “Don’t look so shocked. I told you I will always protect you and I mean that,” He said.

“Then why did you try to kill me? And why did you save me?”

“No, that arrow was never meant for you. It was meant for the hungry tiger which was preying on those two rabbits you were holding. And I saved you because I wanted to,” Bak Suet Lung explained.

“But how can I live any longer now that you have saved me? If it is you who had taken complete care of me from the start, then you should leave me to die. I can not kill you because you are the leader of the White Fox clan,” Sui Fa replied as she lifted herself up into a sitting position.

“Do not speak such nonsense! Do you hate me so much that you rather choose death than to become my wife?”

Sui Fa was speechless. She felt her vision blurring around her. When she regained consciousness and opened her eyes, Bak Suet Lung was holding her gently in his arms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Wow. Its really been a long hiatus for me this time. I'm sorry for such a long long long long wait for this new chapter. I haven't been really inspired to write for this fan-fic for a really long time and I've been so busy these past 3 yrs. So sorry. Will try to update more often.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 01-24-06 at 08:25 AM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Just two words if advice for Siu Fa, marry him! (Charbydis going mad with envy!)

Anyway, wonder how Mei ling is?
    Last edited by charbydis; 02-06-06 at 06:05 AM.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: Wow. Its really been a long hiatus for me this time. I'm sorry for such a long long long long wait for this new chapter. I haven't been really inspired to write for this fan-fic for a really long time and I've been so busy these past 3 yrs. So sorry. Will try to update more often.
    wow....it's been 3 years already

oh well, I think I have to refresh my memory after 3 years period

TommyH
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by andrea7974
    wow....it's been 3 years already

oh well, I think I have to refresh my memory after 3 years period
    actually it's four years since the beginning of this fanfic. i never knew it could take this long...

Ah, it seems to take forever for me to update or finish this story.

Now, that I'm not taking classes during the summer, I really don't have an excuse for not updating. I just have to think of how to continue the story, been a little uninspired. Readers are welcome to send me a private message and send me some suggestions. I might make your dream come true and include those suggestions into the story.

Hmm, I might just update my other fanfic while I'm still thinking about how to continue this one.

Kill off everyone in the end.

Just playing, I don't have a clue what this fanfic is about, but I'll sure make time to read it. YAYYYYY something for me to do at work!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    Kill off everyone in the end.

Just playing, I don't have a clue what this fanfic is about, but I'll sure make time to read it. YAYYYYY something for me to do at work!
    What? And give people a heart attack or have Melanie, chase after me with an knife? *gasp* Maybe even hate mails? Hahaha.

It'll take a while to revive my fanfics, its been such a long hiatus, I'm not sure if some of my original readers are still around. Well, time to get reacquainted with my characters again.

Gugu, don't you normally gamble online anyway? Now you're suddenly getting into a reading mood? How unusual for you.

Well, after such a long hiatus, I think I'll have to come up with a really huge punch or something very scandalous or conspiracy, to make up for lost time.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 07-10-07 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What? And give people a heart attack or have Melanie, chase after me with an knife? *gasp* Maybe even hate mails? Hahaha.

It'll take a while to revive my fanfics, its been such a long hiatus, I'm not sure if some of my original readers are still around. Well, time to get reacquainted with my characters again.

Gugu, don't you normally gamble online anyway? Now you're suddenly getting into a reading mood? How unusual for you.

Well, after such a long hiatus, I think I'll have to come up with a really huge punch or something very scandalous or conspiracy, to make up for lost time.
    LOL, this Melanie character must be someone special. All the more reason to kill her, before you do make sure she leaves a baby girl behind who'll take revenge for her mom.

Gamble while at work? ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME FIRED?!?!?!?! I do that on my own time at home. At work I just pick on people on forums.

Oh, to answer your other thread (I'm too lazy to go look for it) I do read some fanfics but I hate leaving messages. Plus, I don't want some people to know I'm reading their fanfic, cause..... I just don't want them to know.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    LOL, this Melanie character must be someone special. All the more reason to kill her, before you do make sure she leaves a baby girl behind who'll take revenge for her mom.

Gamble while at work? ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME FIRED?!?!?!?! I do that on my own time at home. At work I just pick on people on forums.

Oh, to answer your other thread (I'm too lazy to go look for it) I do read some fanfics but I hate leaving messages. Plus, I don't want some people to know I'm reading their fanfic, cause..... I just don't want them to know.

Melanie is the another fanfic writer here, Legend of Sun-Moon Swordplay is her fanfic. She use to send me threatening notes, for not updating. So if I kill off her fave character's I'll have a lot to answer to.

Ah, so you're those silent readers who don't leave messages and make writers feel discouraged because they think nobody is reading their work. Ah, meanie!

You know what the best way not to procrastinate on updating? Figure out your entire plot and just fill in the holes. That way you're not like "Oh I have a writer's block...forget it because you already have it planned out."

Default pleaseeee..

Hey Suet....
    I've been waiting to continue reading this fanfic for yearssssssss.....please please udate soon!!!!!

thank you much.....I've been a silent reader..and afraid you won't continue I'd thought I'd become unsilent

You know... this was started 5 years ago

Any chance of seeing an ending for this? (or is it going to be a lifelong project?)
    my right arm slams shut

Post Announcement

To Whomever It May Concern:

I'm not going to update this fan-fic anymore. Yes, it's the end of this story. I started this fan-fic 7 years ago and I haven't updated in 3 years, and before that I haven't updated it in 3 years either. My life has been really busy and my focus has changed a lot within these years.

After reading my old essays and writings, I was shocked to see how bad my writing was and I guess I've lost confidence in this story, which never actually had a real plot or direction. The characters I've created are not particularly developed and I think I consciously or subsconciously based them on some Jin Yong characters. Oh yes, the similarities of the characters. I had thoughts of throwing this story out, but continued thinking I could find the plot or whatever as I go along. But let's face it, it's not happening.

I plan to write a brand new fan-fic that reflects my writing now. I know I had put a lot of time writing this first fan-fic and I'll probably save these 16 chapters somewhere as a record of my writing. It's time to say good bye to this story. It was fun while it lasted.

I apologize to anyone who enjoyed this story and thanks for reading it. I think I will still write my "Destined to Love You" fanfic, because I've only written 2 chapters for that one, so it's easier to continue that one.

Will I ever write a wuxia/ancient fan-fic anymore? Probably. I might reuse some of the characters, but I'll tweak it a bit and will definetly have a better plan next time.

Farewell ALOS!

Quote Originally Posted by MYF View Post
    You know... this was started 5 years ago

Any chance of seeing an ending for this? (or is it going to be a lifelong project?)

yesssssssssssssss..yesssssssssssss....continue with "destined to love you"......still with vivian leung right? I'm also waiting to continue reading that fanfic......you are doing a wonderful job and keep up the great work!!! forever waiting and thanks in advance!