Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GL's Xiao 11 Lang Translation Link

Default GL's Xiao 11 Lang Translation Link

All this debating w. Ms. Rainbow (I assume she's a girl.. I know a few people here have had Crying Game moments w. other members because their screen names were ambiguous, but I think Luna_Rainbow has got to be female, right? ) about Xiao ShiYi Lang reminded me of one of the earliest GL translations I know of. It was done by Becky Tai in another GL forum. SPCNET has 3 of her chapters posted in the Reading Room before she discontinued her translation to have it published, but most people don't know that she actually translated 14 chapters before stopping.

I haven't seen her hanging around the forums for a while and don't know how to reach her, but as she posted those chapters in a public forum for people to read and be exposed to GL, I wouldn't think she'd mind if I just post the link here:

Just click on search, and search for all posts by Becky.

I thought she did a great translation. Enjoy!

Were her translations eventually published? That archive mentioned she stopped posting the translations since she had obtained the English translation rights, and was negotiating a contract with an American publisher...
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Not sure. Never heard anything more about it.

Thanks Tiger Wong and Becky too.

Just when I need more translation to read

btw, since we dunno when will she do more translation I wonder if the X11L with Nicky Wu's adaptation close with the novel, so I can continue the story with the series

is it only 20 chapter of this first part of xiao shiyi lang?
    Last edited by eeyore; 10-02-03 at 11:51 PM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Originally posted by eeyore

btw, since we dunno when will she do more translation I wonder if the X11L with Nicky Wu's adaptation close with the novel, so I can continue the story with the series

She already said she's not posting anymore. She was working on getting it published but I haven't heard anything about it. This was all 2 years ago.

From what I hear, neither of the adaptations came close to the novel.

Including the sequel, theres 59 chapters. The first part contains 25.

Cool

I think it is sad not to post any more chapters due to publisher (Hope Moin and Lanny won't run to that problem) - speaking from consumer's prospective, of course.

However, since I don't like Xiao; I am rather indifference about finishing the whole book here.

(and as luck could have it, I get to read the second book. )
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

I've just finished reading the 14 translated chapters of Xiao Shiyi Lang...

Spoiler:

Rn ezq 3/3 ne sgd bdmsqzk edlzkd bgzqzbsdqr gzud azqdc sgdhq aqdzrsr... H'l rszqshmf sn rdmrd z sqdmc...
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Originally posted by eeyore

The Xiao Shiyi Lang adaptation starring Nicky Wu and Athena Chu does not follow the novel. Treasure Raider starring Felix Wong is closer to the novel, but not by much.
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

Hmm.. I didn't realize there was this link here. TigerWong, if you don't mind, I've taken down the link since Becky had specifically asked me in the past to leave only 3 chapters online for readers per her publisher's request. I will ask her if she's ok with this link first.

Becky has mentioned that the official translation of Xiao Shiyi Lang is coming out some time next year so I hope all fans of Gu Long will show her support for being one of first few to officially translate wuxia and pick up a copy at your local Barnes & Noble (or your preferred bookstore) when it comes out!
    -SC

Any idea when next year it is coming out?

Can't wait.

After reading the translations...I was really starting to like this Xiao fellow. Reminds me somewhat of Xiao Feng :d

Originally posted by CC
    Any idea when next year it is coming out?
    No specific details yet on the exact date.
    -SC

Default Tigerwong

TigerWong,

Luna_rainbow is a guy...well at least from what he had stated in the past...hmm...can't be too sure. Luna_rainbow should come by and verify that....hahaaha...
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I read the 14 chapters that were posted last year. The translation ended just as the story was getting good.

Up to CH 3, it's rather slow imo. But by CH 14, the plot thickens, some surprising revelations are made and Xiao was left being an enigma -- a hard to understand and unlikely character willing to sacrifice himself for reasons yet unknown.

Hopefully, that full translation will be published soon to find out who, what, when, how and why...

fyi - I just preordered my copy at Amazon.com. It is titled "The Eleventh Son" translated by Rebecca Tai and is supposed to be released sometime in March. Hopefully with the publication of this book, it would encourage more translations of Gu Long and Jin Yong works.

Does it include both books, or just the first one?

I have no idea whether it's both books or only the first. Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble both have it available for preorder and the book info states that it will be in paperback form, there is an ISBN #, publisher is Homa and available in March 2004.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

yehh, while helping fellow chinese-illiterate-wuxia-fan like myself, those translator can also make a lot of money. I suggest Ms Athena also doing the same thing with TSATE. I will definitely buy them

I'll also support by buying english translation of wuxia novels. At least to the titles that I'm interested in
    The translations I had read are done by my country's local translator, whom at several times 'edit' the contents of the book. Luckily, what they did were only deleting a bit here and there, not adding.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

What is the link to the translation? I don't see it in the origional post.