Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spcnet's policy on signatures

Default Spcnet's policy on signatures

What's Spcnet's policy on:

- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG (as in word count) signatures

and

- HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE (as in number of lines) signatures

?

My mouse is complaining because I have to scroll it too much as many people's signatures are as big as the whole screen and their posts are 99.9999% of the time a lot shorter than their signatures (usually consist of a few smilies or one or two short sentences).

Poems are nice, but a link to a text file or webpage containing your favourite poem is better. Same with the TV series you're currently watching, it's nice and very informative but...
    • Discussion: the confusion of one person multiplied by the number present.
    • Discussion Forum: the place where everybody posts, nobody reads and everybody disagrees later on.

Haha I'm just glad they don't allow pictures in the sigs. You know what kinda mess this place would become? Take a look at war3pub.net's forum. Would end up like that.

What I don't get is why people still worry about signatures, post count, avators, name etc.?

Who cares if they are huge and small... isn't the content of the post that matters?

With that said, I guess signatures (comments made by others about you or comments you want people to know about you), post counts(most think # posts = I know more then you), avators(replace how you really look in real life), names(unique identify you from the mass population the boards) etc are what make you unique and feel important in this meaningless existence... which is good and bad comments depends how you understand my post.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Triste,

There's an option for you not to see any signature.

Originally posted by Han Solo
    Triste,

I think Triste like to read signatures... but some of them are really bad. He or She is trying to tell the public to be more creative with our signature it can make an *** out of you if you misuse it.
    Flame on I am gone...

Yeah I know about those forums, Mike. Some of them don't even have a limit on picture size

Originally posted by Han Solo
    Triste,

I know, but some people's signatures are worth seeing, and that's one way I identify people on forums.

Who cares if they are huge and small... isn't the content of the post that matters?
    Problem is: these posts often contain nothing (and I think I've already explained this). Coupled with the HUUUUUGE signatures, they take lots of valuable space on the screen, and as a result I have to scroll waaaaaay down to read the posts that are worth reading. OK I know that there's the ignore list, but mine's too crowded

I believe that having a restriction on signature size will improve the readability and quality of the forums (from personal experience). I think signatures should just be....signatures: be as compact as possible.
    • Discussion: the confusion of one person multiplied by the number present.
    • Discussion Forum: the place where everybody posts, nobody reads and everybody disagrees later on.

Well, I'm not sure SC has actually specified any limit on the length of signatures and size of pictures in signatures. Guess she left it to the common sense of members to know what an appropriate length of signature is.

For example, the football forum that I mod has a limit of no more than 5 lines if it's a word-signature, and if it's a picture, the size of which should be no bigger than 350x100 pixels.
    玉木宏

blog

Agree that members should try to limit the sizes of their signatures. I do leave it to the common sense of members and unfortunately, without hacking, the only other option is to disable signatures all together. In the meantime, I'll add this to the list of forum modifications.
    -SC

I think there IS a hack, SC. I can check it for you. Will get back to you on this.

Edit: I just sent you a PM.
    Last edited by junny; 10-13-03 at 01:02 AM.
    玉木宏

blog

phew.....

it pays to be lazy in this case
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Can members be advised of a character or line limit before any action is taken to delete or edit sigs?

I am aware I may be guilty of a long signature. I like posting Beyond lyrics cuz they are meaningful... but they tend to be long...
    This account is retired.

Originally posted by James Ko
    What I don't get is why people still worry about signatures, post count, avators, name etc.?

With that said, I guess signatures (comments made by others about you or comments you want people to know about you), post counts(most think # posts = I know more then you), avators(replace how you really look in real life), names(unique identify you from the mass population the boards) etc are what make you unique and feel important in this meaningless existence... which is good and bad comments depends how you understand my post.
    As a society, we're pretty much driven to want to have fame/make more money than others/go up in status/be better than other people in general, so it's not that surprising that there's an overlap with internet communities.

On the signatures issue though, I absolutely hate it when the length of someone's signature exceeds the length of their post. I wouldn't mind large sigs so much if people only showed it the first time they post in a thread, but it annoys me to no end when I see the same 15 lines of signature text 5 times on the same page. It really isn't that difficult to uncheck that "show signature" box before you post.
    This sig is only temporary.

Originally posted by Hysteric
    It really isn't that difficult to uncheck that "show signature" box before you post.
    And it really isn't difficult to show some consideration towards fellow members by keeping signatures to a reasonable length.
    玉木宏

blog

I wouldn't care if the length of the signatures were limited, all those LONG POEMS, for god's sake no one has to be forced to read them. I mean it's like your waiting for the light to turn green but the car next to you has this really loud obnoxious music on and forces everyone to listen. Even if you shut the car windows, it still does not help. I wouldn't miss em'.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think signature is like ads.

There are many good ones out there... but if they are over expose it really get annoying.

Over use of one thing is always bad. For example emotion or pictures.

Also for poem lovers... maybe someone should start a thread of favorite poems or poems that express who you are.
    Flame on I am gone...

Chii, Lisa likes her poems... Lisa puts them on there cuz Lisa goes on here so much & it distracts Lisa from writing her poetry. Therefore, she puts her poems on there to remind her to stop spamming here & start writing! Like each time Lisa scrolls down to read her messages she sees her long @$$ poem, triggers her to get going on the rhymming. Carlos Flores (arch poet nemesis) is beating Lisa by 100 poems. TISK TISK!

Originally posted by misao ohgami
    Chii, Lisa likes her poems... Lisa puts them on there cuz Lisa goes on here so much & it distracts Lisa from writing her poetry. Therefore, she puts her poems on there to remind her to stop spamming here & start writing! Like each time Lisa scrolls down to read her messages she sees her long @$$ poem, triggers her to get going on the rhymming. Carlos Flores (arch poet nemesis) is beating Lisa by 100 poems. TISK TISK!
    Even so, you seem to have an addiction to spamming, so whether or not you have those poems in your sig, you still seem to spam alot. Is this not true?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Even so, you seem to have an addiction to spamming, so whether or not you have those poems in your sig, you still seem to spam alot. Is this not true?

True... but going here takes my mind off of things. Furthermore, everynight when Lisa goes home Lisa starts on her poetry. If Suet Seung doesn't like Lisa's sig, just say it & Lisa will gladly take it off... There's a lot more saying & famous qoutes that Lisa is dying to put in her sig.... Like Al Pacino's. Eeeee.....

Do whatever you like Misao, for god's sake SC's guidelines for no spamming has no affect on you so, nothing I say or anyone says would mean anything. It's a free country, do as your heart tells you....

My comment before about poems in sig wasn't for you, I was just saying how some people do, so don't feel like that I'm targeting you for some reason.

Originally posted by Suet Seung
    Do whatever you like Misao, for god's sake SC's guidelines for no spamming has no affect on you so, nothing I say or anyone says would mean anything. It's a free country, do as your heart tells you....

My comment before about poems in sig wasn't for you, I was just saying how some people do, so don't feel like that I'm targeting you for some reason.

No, I think I've been following the rules... The only off topic thread I could think of is the Private Message 1. That was off topic. Other then that, I've been keeping with the topics of each thread. How is it consider spamming when I'm answering the thread's topic? & the exceptions of responding back to people that links to the topic, like right now? We are going off topic but it is related to the signature.