Thread: Mithras' Fanfic Review's

Default Mithras' Fanfic Review's

Hey,

I'm looking to do some reviews of the current fanfic's here.

If anyone is interested in having their fanfic reviewed or would be interested in doing some fanfic reviewing - please PM me.

Just a note, my reviews will probably be honest, and unmerciful if I like anything, I'll let you know. Ditto for the opposite.
    Last edited by Mithras; 11-05-03 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote, Unquote.

Oh!!! I've been trying to get quality feedback from readers, but I usually get "good story," "please update," "very funny," etc. Nothing I could really work with to improve my story. But not sure if you want to review it since I'm still in the process of writing it. There are 23 chapters so far. So any input would help me strengthen the plot. Much appreciated.

Here's the link:

Always & Forever

I welcome constructive criticism

Go ahead and review mine. Parody To Ruin Them All
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Howdy folks, let me just say that I will be mainly reviewing spcnet fanfics, winglin fanfics I may review - but they could take some time.

Now, lets have a look at 'Parody to ruin them all' first...
    Quote, Unquote.

Default 'One Parody To Ruin Them All' Review

'One Parody To Ruin Them All' Review - By Mithras

Eliar Swiftfire is one talented cheeky chappy (bad tabloid alliteration, I know), not only can he do pulp fictiony fanfics like ‘The Mad Mutilatar’ I and II (aka Ultimate Script), but he is also adept at melodrama when turning his versatile hand to ‘Round Robin Fanfic (modern)?’

Now, I find myself reviewing one of this British fellow’s more daring writing attempts in the form of ‘One Parody to Ruin them All’ – an all encapsulating pastiche of genres and mediums, with his oh so clever wink at the stupidity of the Asian star system and the legions of flash in the pan actors/actresses that little twelve year olds drool over.

The style of the piece is self-reflexive, and his influences can be seen clearly. Indeed he strikes me as the rebel English intellectual trying to play the tortured artist with a fetish for Tolkienian fantasy, a dash of Pratchett – and, oh, over the top Asian comic violence.

The story itself is non-linear and concerns the lives of nearly every popular Chinese - more specifically Hong Kong) actor/actress since the eighties entwining in pointless and grossly exaggerated ways (such as they are represented in the media of wannabe-cool).

As a reviwer and reader though, I can’t help but admire the breath of fresh air that Eliar has brought to bring to the Spcnet fanfic community, yes his writing style may be brash and typically British in humour, and yes he likes to rip of movie plots and at times appears to fish for comments that is bordering on the narcissistic, but damnit... he wants change, or at least an evolving beyond the clichéd stage of people’s writing careers (see for example the spoofs of readers comments).

However, he is destined to be forgotten and liked by only a few who saw beyond his annoyances and what he was actually trying to do.

Good luck to him, if he ever makes it to the end, as I have the distinct feeling that thus far, he’s running out of ideas.

I give this fanfic 4 hairy gandalf beards out of 5
    Quote, Unquote.

Hahaha! Thanks, Mithras.

But I'm Malaysian! Not British!! But I'll take that as a compliment.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 11-14-03 at 12:31 AM.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo