Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng

Hello! Back with the latest instalment!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by junzi; 10-10-04 at 06:43 AM.

Che Erku laughed, “Aren’t you inside now?” Incensed, Su Luke tried to choke Che Erku with his arm, yelling, “Get out, get out!” The two men were struggling on the floor. One man wanted to drag the other out, while the other man wanted to suppress the other party, to prevent him from moving. Suddenly Su Lu’ke began to sing, and yell, “You can’t defeat me, I’m the top Kazak warrior, Su Pu’s second, Su Pu’s future son will be third…… You, Che Erku are fifth……” Chen Dahai saw that they were two drunkards, and decided that he need not fear them. Then the wind blew strongly, sending sparks from the fire flying everywhere. Chen Dahai shut the door forcefully.

Su Pu and A’man saw their fathers rolling towards the fire, and rushed over to help them, crying out in unison, “Father, father.” But they were both heavy men, and could not be helped up easily. Su Pu cried, “Father, father! This man is a Han bandit!” Although Su Lu’ke was thoroughly drunk, but these ten years he had not forgotten the deep hatred he felt towards the Han bandits. As soon as he heard the words ‘Han bandit’, his mind cleared. Leaping up, he cried out, “Where is the Han bandit?” Su Pu pointed at Chen Dahai. Su Lu’ke wanted to grab the sabre at his waist, but after his struggle with Che Erku, the saber had fallen in the snow outside. Coming into contact with air, he cried, “Where’s my sabre? Where’s my sabre? I will kill him!” Chen Dahai flicked his sword and pointed it at Su Lu’ke throat, ordering, “Kneel down!” Angered, Su Lu’ke threw himself forward. But he had lost his strength after drinking much wine. Before he could leapt in front of the enemy, he had crashed to the ground. Chen Dahai laughed coldly, and slashed down, and Su Lu’ke’s shoulder began to bleed. Su Lu’ke yelled in pain, and wanted to get up and fight. But both his legs seemed as soft as mud, and he was completely unable to stand up. With an angry roar, Che Erku got up and rushed towards Chen Dahai. Chen Dahai thrust his sword forwards, piercing his right leg. Che Erku immediately fell down.

Old man Ji turned to look at Li Wenxiu, and saw that her expression was calm, with absolutely no hint of fear.

Chen Dahai laughed coldly, “You Kazak dogs, today I shall kill all of you.” A’man rushed forwards, blocking her father. In a trembling voice she said, “I promised to leave with you, so you cannot kill them.” Che Erku was furious, “No! You cannot leave with this bandit dog, just let him kill me:” Chen Dahai removed a goat’s leash from the wall, and placed the hoop around A’man’s neck, and laughed evilly, “Good, you are my prisoner, my slave! You must swear that you will never betray me from this day onwards, then I will spare these Kazak dogs!” Tears rolled down A’man’s face. She thought, “If I don’t agree to his request, my father and Su Pu will be killed.” So she swore, “Great Allah above, from this day onwards, I am the slave of my master. I will listen to all his commands, and never dare to escape, or dare to disobey his orders! Or else, I will land in a burning pit after my death, and suffer for all eternity.” Chen Dahai laughed uproariously, extremely pleased with himself: he had obtained the map of the Gao Chang Labyrinth and this beautiful young girl. He was happier than if he had become an immortal. He had stayed in the Muslim Region for a long time, and knew that the Kazaks were pious Muslims, and woukld never dare to break an oath made in the name of the Great Allah. Pulling at the leash, he said, “Come over and sit at the feet of your master!” A’man felt greatly humiliated, but could only walk over to his feet and sit down. Chen Dahai stroked her hair, and A’man began to cry.

Su Pu could not control himself, and leapt up, throwing himself at Chen Dahai. Chen Dahai’s sword shot out, pointing at his chest. If he moved forwards by half a chi, the tip of the sword would pierce his chest. A’man called out, “Su Pu, get back!” Su Pu’s eyes blazed. He gritted his teeth and stood there. After quite some time, he retreated, and sat on the ground dejectedly.

Chen Dahai poured a bowlful of wine, and took a mouthful. He took out the handkerchief, then placed it onto his knees for scrutiny.

Suddenly, old man Ji asked, “How do you know this is the map of the Gao Chang Labyrinth?” He spoke in the Chinese language. Chen Dahai thought, “Since all of you are going to die anyway, there’s no harm in telling you.” He had searched for twelve years, and his heart’s desire had finally been fulfilled. Full of joy, he would not be comfortable if he did not get it off his chest, so he would have talked about the matter to himself had old man Ji not asked him about it. Holding the handkerchief with both hands, he said, “We have proven beyond doubt that the map of the Gao Chang Labyrinth was in the possession of White Horse Li San and his wife. Since we could not find it on their bodies, it must be with their daughter. This handkerchief belonged to that little girl surnamed Li, and there are mountains, rivers and roads depicted on it, so naturally it must be the map.” He pointed at the handkerchief, and said, “See, this handkerchief is made of silk. Those depictions of the mountains and rivers in the desert, are sewn in the middle using cotton thread. The silk is yellow silk, while the cotton thread is yellow thread. Normally one would not be able to see it, but once it is stained with blood, the cotton thread absorbs more blood than the silk, and the two can be told apart."

Li Wenxiu gazed at the handkerchief. As he had said, once the yellow silk handkerchief was stained with blood, its depictions could be seen clearly. The areas which had not been stained with blood remained yellow. On the day that Su Pu was bitten by the wolf, he had bled only a little, and only revealed one corner of the depictions. But tonight, he had suffered a wound from a sword, revealing a large part of the depictions. Only then did she realise that this handkerchief actually hid such a great secret.
    Last edited by junzi; 10-10-04 at 11:46 AM.

Default Really interesting....great Job!!

Hi Junzi

This story is really interesting...great job with the translation..Thanks a lot !!!

Looks like Li Wenxiu is not stopping Aman from debasing herself .. maybe she doesnt want to hurt Aman, but she certainly doesn't care to save her from some pain..... realistic... she isn't an angel (both Li and Aman)

So when is Li Wen Xiu going to save Su Pu?

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greyman

Looks like Li Wenxiu is not stopping Aman from debasing herself .. maybe she doesnt want to hurt Aman, but she certainly doesn't care to save her from some pain..... realistic... she isn't an angel (both Li and Aman)

I believe your judgement is quite correct. I think LWX is subconsciously jealous at Aman.

btw Why is Aman not an angel?
    Last edited by Du Gu seeking a win; 10-12-04 at 04:44 PM.

Default A'man

The reason I said a'man is not an angel is because her actions are very human...she offers to become the slave of her enemy to save her loved one..she begs mercy.... whereas an angel at this point would have pulled off some devastating/clever(like HR) move and saved the day ..... what I mean is..her characterization is very human and realistic
    Last edited by greyman; 10-13-04 at 06:36 AM.

If Li Wenxiu is really subconsciously jealous of A'man, she has only herself to blame, cos she was the one who brought Su Pu and A'man together.

However, I don't think she is jealous. Maybe envious that A'man is with Su Pu. That's not the same thing right?

Anyway, LWX did intend to save A'man, I just haven't posted that part yet.

But here it is!!!

Chen Dahai calculated, “If these few people join forces to deal with me, and all rush at me at once, that would be unthinkable. While these two Kazaks are still drunk, I’ll kill them first, to ensure the success of my plan.” He walked slowly towards Su Lu’ke, and suddenly pulled out his sword, sending it down on his head. The dealing of this sword blow was so sudden and the movement so quick that Su Lu’ke had no chance to avoid it. Su Pu gave a loud cry, and attempted to leap forward to save his father, but there was no time to do so. Chen Dahai’s sword was about to strike Su Lu’ke’s head, when he heard a sudden swoosh. An object was thrown towards his face, travelling at a high speed. In his haste, he did not bother to harm Su Lu’ke, and quickly leaped to the left. With a loud cling clang, the object hit the wall and was immediately smashed to smithereens. It was actually nothing but a tea bowl. After he had calmed his nerves, he realised that the person who had thrown the tea bowl at him was none other than Li Wenxiu.

Chen Dahai was livid. All along, he saw that this Kazak lad was skinny and fair, just like a woman, and thus ignored him. Whoever knew that ‘he’ would actually dare to swat flies on a tiger’s head? With his sword drawn, he pointed at her and scolded, “Little Kazak dog, are you tired of living?” Li Wenxiu slowly unbuttoned her Kazak coat, and removed it, revealing the Han-style short coat she wore inside. In the Kazak language, she declared, “I am not a Kazak. I am a Han.” Her left hand pointing at Su Lu’ke, she said, “This Kazak uncle thinks that all Hans are bandits and evildoers. I want him to know that not all of us Hans are bandits, we have good people too.” Everyone had clearly seen that if not for Li Wenxiu throwing the bowl to save Su Lu’ke, he would have died from the blow from Chen Dahai’s sword. After hearing what she said, Su Pu was first to reply, “Thank you very much for saving my father!” Su Lu’ke remained very stubborn and shouted, “You are a Han, I don’t need you to save me, just let this bandit kill me.” Chen Dahai stepped forward, and asked Li Wenxiu, “Who are you? You are a Han, so what are you doing here?” Li Wenxiu smiled a cold, small smile and said, “You do not recognize me, but I recognize you. The people who robbed Kazak tribes and caused the deaths of many Kazak were your gang of Han bandits.” As this point, her voice became bitter, and thought, “If not for your gang of bandits committing so many evil deeds, Su Lu’ke would not hate us Hans to the core.” Chen Dahai answered loudly, “So what if it was me?” Li Wenxiu pointed at A’man, and said, “She is your female slave, I want to seize her, to be my female slave!” Everyone was surprised to hear these words.

Chen Dahai was stunned momentarily, then laughed loudly, saying, “All right, if you’re good enough, then try to seize her.” He waved his sword. The blade trembled and made a buzzing sound.

Turning her head, to A’man she said, “You have swore an oath in the Great Allah’s name, to be his female slave for all your life. If he is unable to defeat me, you will be seized by me, and be my female slave for all you life, am I right?” When Kazaks fought with people of other races, they would treat captured prisoners as slaves. There were specific instructions regarding this in the Islamic Quran. The status of a slave was no different from a domesticated animal; he had no freedom to act on his own, and was bought and sold in accordance with his owner’s wishes. If his owners were defeated by someone else, his property, domesticated animals and slaves would be taken by others. After hearing what she said, A’man thought, “Since I am already a female slave, I’d rather acknowledge you as my owner than follow this evil bandit and be tormented by him.” So she nodded her head and answered, “Yes, it is so.” She added, “You…… you won’t be able to defeat him. This bandit’s martial arts are excellent.” Li Wenxiu replied, “You needn’t worry about that, if I cannot defeat him, then naturally I will be killed by him.” She clapped her hands, and to Chen Dahai she said, “Come on then!” Amazed, Chen Dahai said, “You are fighting me with bare hands?” Li Wenxiu said, “Why would I need any weapons to kill an evil bandit like you?” Chen Dahai thought, “Everyone here is my enemy, if I linger a moment longer, I will be in more danger. If he wishes to overestimate himself, then that would be excellent.” He shouted, “Beware the sword!” His sharp sword was thrust out, displaying the stroke, ‘Poisonous Snake Exiting its Cave’. The sword was sent towards Li Wenxiu’s chest, and was travelling at a powerful speed.

Old man Ji called, “Quick, get back!” He thought that Li Wenxiu would have great difficulty in keeping him off. Li Wenxiu’s body jerked, lightly and silently avoiding the blow. She rushed to Chen Dahai’s left. Lifting her left elbow, she hit his waist. Chen Dahai called out, “Good!” His sword made a circular movement , and sliced towards her arm. Li Wenxiu kicked out with her right foot and hit his wrist. This stroke, ‘Flying Swallow Beneath Leaves’, was one of Hua Hui’s unique strokes. Li Wenxiu had mastered it only after seven to eight days’ of painstaking practice. Chen Dahai quickly drew back his wrist, but was too slow. His wrist was painful; it had been hit. As the other party did not use much force, Chen Dahai’s sword did not slip from his hand. He gave a loud roar, and leapt back a step. Old man Ji gave a cry, completely surprised.
    Last edited by junzi; 10-14-04 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greyman
    The reason I said a'man is not an angel is because her actions are very human...she offers to become the slave of her enemy to save her loved one..she begs mercy.... whereas an angel at this point would have pulled off some devastating/clever(like HR) move and saved the day ..... what I mean is..her characterization is very human and realistic

The usage in the English speaking countries of the word 'angel':

If one said someone behaves like an angel, one meant that she/he is a very nice and helpful person.

So it is very different with the things you said. May I ask from which country you are? Interestingly different languages/cultures meant something else with such a word.
    Last edited by Du Gu seeking a win; 10-13-04 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junzi

However, I don't think she is jealous. Maybe envious that A'man is with Su Pu. That's not the same thing right?

Well, being a (dumb) male myself, I failed to notice the important nuances. I need some explanations from you in this matter (your English is much better than mine, I don't live in an English speaking community).

I believed the word 'envy' is mostly used in a general context, the word 'jealous' is mostly used in matters concerning love, CMIIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    The usage in the English speaking countries of the word 'angel':

If one said someone behaves like an angel, one meant that she/he is a very nice and helpful person.

So it is very different with the things you said. May I ask from which country you are? Interestingly different languages/cultures meant something else with such a word.
    An Angel is someone who is good,nice and helpful, but also has mysterious godly powers. Human feelings like Jealousy, pain, fear, anger do not touch them. If they have a problem, they solve it in the twinkle of an eye...... Anyway .. to get away from the semantics and to what I meant... A'man and Li are both portrayed with realistic feelings..... thats the gist of my previous comment. Sorry if the comment was ambiguous before, Dugu Seeking a Win ... ( I really dont have anything to lose )

Well Li Wen Xiu seems to be a bit envious that Aman is with Su Pu and kind of feel lonely...but then it does come off a bit jealous isn't it?
    You see that she's relieved that Su Pu still remembers her even though his father had forbid them contacting each other all those years. I think she feels glad that he hasn't forgotten her and he still cares for her.

Someone is also translating White Horse too....at this site: http://www.geocities.com/white_horse...ng/content.htm

But I don't think they've gotten far yet.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    Well Li Wen Xiu seems to be a bit envious that Aman is with Su Pu and kind of feel lonely...but then it does come off a bit jealous isn't it?
    You see that she's relieved that Su Pu still remembers her even though his father had forbid them contacting each other all those years. I think she feels glad that he hasn't forgotten her and he still cares for her.

Someone is also translating White Horse too....at this site: http://www.geocities.com/white_horse...ng/content.htm

But I don't think they've gotten far yet.

Thx for the link.
    I find interesting that LWX sort of wait and is 'testing' A'man's behaviour. Since LWX sacrificed herself to set Supu free, she wants to know to what extent A'man is capable of sacrificing. And after she saw that A'man is willing to sacrifice with the worst a woman can do (worse than death) she must admit that A'man is worth to get Supu.

Thx for the link.
    I find interesting that LWX sort of wait and is 'testing' A'man's behaviour. Since LWX sacrificed herself to set Supu free, she wants to know to what extent A'man is capable of sacrificing. And after she saw that A'man is willing to sacrifice with the worst a woman can do (worse than death) she must admit that A'man is worth to get Supu.
    I agree with your observation. But it could be also that Wen Xiu is trying to wait for a good opportunity to defeat Chen Dahai too.

For some reason Chen Dahai reminds me abit of Yu Canghai of the Qing Cheng sect, what do you think?

This Su Pu guy is too lucky to have girls sacrficing for him. Wen Xiu sacrifice her chances of developing a more than a friend relationship with him and A'man is willing to be a lowly animal trade for Su Pu.

This short story has never been made into a series right? But the other one Sword of the Yueh maiden has.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I believed the word 'envy' is mostly used in a general context, the word 'jealous' is mostly used in matters concerning love, CMIIW.
    Hmmm. Did a check at dictionary.com, and apparently 'jealous' and 'envious' are synonyms. Though I always thought 'jealous' carried stronger emotions.

This short story has never been made into a series right? But the other one Sword of the Yueh maiden has.
    Someone posted in this thread that BMXXF was made into a series.

For some reason Chen Dahai reminds me abit of Yu Canghai of the Qing Cheng sect, what do you think?
    I haven't read XAJH yet, what is Yu Canghai like?

Hmmm. Did a check at dictionary.com, and apparently 'jealous' and 'envious' are synonyms. Though I always thought 'jealous' carried stronger emotions.

Yes, different dictionaries give different explanations.

DCE (Dictionary of Contemporary English - AE & BE) supports you (jealous is stronger than envy)

Advanced Learners Oxford Dictionary (BE) supports me (jealous mainly in love context)

Let's say it's a tie

Junzi, Are we expecting a new installment soon?

Someone posted in this thread that BMXXF was made into a series.
    I don't know whether it was a series or a movie, but a Sharon fan told me that Sharon Yeung Pan Pan was Li Wen Xiu. It was probably a Taiwanese production.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Hey everyone!

Sorry but I've been slacking a bit. Will try to get the next instalment out soon!

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers!

Hooray. An update at last! Enjoy!